Having the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner allows you to keep your pool clean and hygienic, and makes it easy to organize pool parties. Nothing is better than organizing a pool party in the summers.
But for that one must make sure that the area around the pool is clean. Vacuum pool cleaners are a must in this regard.
Selecting the best above-ground pool cleaner can be a really difficult task for a person. I have also faced a lot of problems while purchasing the pool vacuum cleaner for the first time.
To make the work easier for you, I have conducted research on the various kind of above-ground pool cleaners and the details of the research are provided in this content.
Before I start discussing the Top 12 above-ground pool cleaners, the detailed review of the product has been provided along with a comparison table. It gives you access to the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaners that are available in the market.
- Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum Comparison Chart 2020
- What is The Best Above-Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner?
- Best Above-Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaners Reviews 2020
- 1. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 2. Pentair E-Z Suction-Side Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 3. Poolvergnuegen Hayward Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
- 4. VIVOHOME Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 5. Hayward Wanda Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 6. Intex Auto Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 7. Aquabot APRVJR Junior Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 8. Zodiac Ranger Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 9. Zodiac Polaris Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 10. Aquabot X4 Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 11. Intex Krystal Clear Above Ground Pool Cleaner
- 12. XtremepowerUS Automatic Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
- Research That Went Into This Review
- How to Select the Best Above-Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- My Top Pick
Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum Comparison Chart 2020
This comparison table provides knowledge about the weight, dimensions and the best usage of the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaners. It is surely going to help you when you start looking for the most functional cleaners.
|Name of the Product||Product Weight||Dimensions|
|Dolphin Escape Robotic Pool Cleaner - Best for Above-Ground-Cleaning Optimization||29.3 pounds||22 x 17.7 x 13 inches|
|Pentair E-Z Suction-Side Above-ground Pool Cleaner - Best for Skimming Debris||14.05 pounds||33.5 x 16.5 x 6.8 inches|
|Poolvergnuegen Hayward The Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum - Best for Automatic Pool Cleaning||16.09 pounds||41 x 13 x 13 inches|
|VIVOHOME Automatic Inground Above-ground Swimming Pool Cleaner - Best for Efficient Cleaning||1 pounds||1 x 1 x 1 inches|
|Hayward Wanda the Whale Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner - Best for Consistent Cleaning||15.65 pounds||40.3 x 12.8 x 12.5 inches|
|Intex Auto Above-Ground Pool Cleaner - Best for Automatic Pool Cleaning||15.30 pounds||13.4 x 12.2 x 23.4 inches|
|Aquabot APRVJR Junior Above-Ground Pool Cleaner - Best for Cleaning All Sizes of Pools||10 pounds||21 x 18 x 19 inches|
|Zodiac Ranger Automatic Pool Cleaner - Best for Effective Cleaning||15 pounds||16 x 9.5 x 40.5 inches|
|Zodiac Polaris Turbo Turtle Pressure Side Above-Ground Pool Cleaner - Best for Cleaning Shallow Above-Ground Pools||10 pounds||23 x 22.9 x 10.9 inches|
|Aquabot X4 - Best for Cleaning All Size of Pools||36.8 pounds||20.4 x 20 x 18.2 inches|
|Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - Best for Dirt-Free Pool Cleaning||52.1 pounds||28.2 x 16.6 x 27.1 inches|
|XtremepowerUS Automatic Above-Ground Suction Vacuum - Best for Cleaning Without Electricity||15 pounds||41 x 18 x 6 inches|
What is The Best Above-Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner?
Take a look at the below description to know about the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaners that are available in the market. I have tried to provide the precise details of each product to give you a head start.
- Best Optimization: Dolphin Escape Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Cleans extra-large debris, improved grip, reasonable price
- Best for Skimming Debris: Pentair E-Z Suction-Side Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Skims any size of debris, a hydraulic vacuum cleaner, zero maintenance
- Best for Automatic: Poolvergnuegen Hayward Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
An automatic pool cleaner, patented tread technology
- Best for Efficient Cleaning: VIVOHOME Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Automatic travel time, efficient cleaning, easy maintenance
- Best for Consistent Cleaning: Hayward Wanda Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Steer with ease, no extra tools required, smooth moving equipment
- Best for Automatic Pool Cleaning: Intex Auto Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Automatic reverses direction, long last and durable cleaner
- Best for Cleaning All Sizes of Pools: Aquabot APRVJR Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Automatically stops after 2 hours, saves electricity
- Best for Effective Cleaning: Zodiac Ranger Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
One moving part technology, prevent from obstacles
- Best for Cleaning Shallow: Zodiac Polaris Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Turtle shape, filter bag available, cleans up to 5 feet
- Best for Cleaning All Size of Pools: Aquabot X4 Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Heavy-duty performance, easy to assemble parts, 2 hour cleaning cycle time
- Best for Dirt-Free Pool Cleaning: Intex Krystal Clear Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Achieves freshness in a natural way, a digital time regulator
- Best for Cleaning Without Electricity: XtremepowerUS Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
Easy to use, easier installation, inexpensive
Best Above-Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaners Reviews 2020
This review guide provides information about the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaners based on which you can determine which one to purchase. I have used some of the products, so this is completely an honest and personal review.
1. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Above-Ground-Cleaning Optimization)
The dolphin above-ground pool cleaner has a sporty and cool design. By looking at the price of the pool cleaners, you will be quite impressed as it is available at an affordable rate.
It cleans up all sizes of debris starting from the small ones to the extra-large one and works on a robotics-based cleaning methodology. The key factor of using this cleaner is it has the capability to suck the debris through a machine. Most of the pool cleaners do not have this factor.
- SmartNav 2.0 Robotic Scanning
- Hyperbrush Active Scrubbing brush
- Hypergrip Continuous Tracks
- Sleek design for above ground pools
|Suction Rating||4000 GPH|
|Pool Size||Up to 30 Ft|
|Number of Motors||2|
|Pool Type||Vinyl, Gunite/Plaster, Fiberglass|
|Warranty Period||1 year|
|Dimension||22 x 17.7 x 13 inches|
|Product Weight||29.3 pounds|
- Sporty design
- Inexpensive above-ground pool cleaner
- An in-built robotic scanning system
- Navigation technology
- Powerful scrubbing system
- Shuts down on a shorter timeframe
- Inefficient mapping system
For more details about the product, click here:
2. Pentair E-Z Suction-Side Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for No Maintenance)
The product works based on powerful hydraulic design and comes in white and blue. With the help of this cleaner, thorough cleaning of the above-ground pool area is possible. There is no need to replace the parts, unlike any other pool cleaner.
The design of this cleaner is considered to be quite simple as cleaning can be completed by simply pressing the paddle.
A free skimming valve is also provided with this cleaner and it will automatically speed up the cleaning, as well as regulate the flow of water.
- True random pattern coverage
- Free skimming valve
- Superior hydraulic design
- One operational moving part for hassle-free operation
|Cord Length||32 ft.|
|Dimension||33.5 x 16.5 x 6.8 inches|
|Product Weight||14.05 pounds|
|Warranty Period||1 Year|
- Removes debris from the water
- Works on hydraulic design
- No maintenance required
- Consistent cleaning
- Longer life span
- Best only for circular and oval ponds
- Chord get stuck
Click here to take a look at the product:
3. Poolvergnuegen Hayward Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
(Best for Automatic Pool Cleaning)
This is an automatic pool cleaner has a patented tire thread that is used to clean the floor area of the pool. It will grip the floor of the pool and collect the debris with the turbine vanes.
The turbine vanes can be adjusted while cleaning and it works on patent technology. It also has a patent skirting that helps in enhancing the suction capability.
It also consists of a device that can navigate irrespective of whatever size or shape the pool is off.
- Multiple pre-programmed internal steering sequences
- Patented adjustable roller skirt
- Patented tire treads
- Patented self-adjusting turbine blades
- 2-wheel drive
|Length of Hose||33’|
|Pool Size||Up to 16' X 32'|
|Traction System||2 Wheel Drive|
|Pool Coverage||Coves, Pool floor, and walls|
|Minimum Pump Size||35 GPM or ½ Hp|
|Dimension||41 x 13 x 13 inches|
|Product Weight||16.09 pounds|
- An automatic vacuum pool cleaner
- Self-adjusting vanes
- Uses patented technology
- Removes any size of debris
- No. of various steering sequences
- Expensive replacement parts
- At times, push start cleaner’s impellers
To know about the product, check out the link:
4. VIVOHOME Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Efficient Cleaning)
This is an apt above-ground pool cleaner that can also be used for in-ground pool cleaning and the important feature of this cleaner, is that it works on a float-directional system.
It also consists of wings that help in the cleaning process of collecting the dirt and leaves.
It is the best cleaner that cleans the walls and floors efficiently. It has a roller strap that guides in moving around an obstacle such as steps or ladders that is not available in most of the vacuum pond cleaners.
- Comes with 10 flexible pipes
- Adjustable water flow
- Made of ABS and PVC materials for durability
- Easy installation
|Dimension||40.5 x 13.5 x 6.7 inches|
|Product Weight||13.6 pounds|
- Easy maintenance
- One moving part
- Efficient cleaning process
- Automatic travel time
- Float directional system
- Consumes time while cleaning
5. Hayward Wanda Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Consistent Cleaning)
The Hayward above-ground pool cleaner works with the help of turbines and has a unique water flow system. It manages a controlled, balanced, as well as in quiet flowing of water while the cleaning is carried out.
It also maintains a steady cleaning across the sides of the pool. It can be easily installed and the equipment is ready to start within a few minutes. When the cleaning is carried out, there is no need for any extra tool.
- Deluxe bumper ring
- Advanced and contoured head design
- Unique turbine/gearing system for constant water flow
- No tools required for installation
|Warranty Period||1 year|
|Pool Coverage||Coves, Pool floor, and walls|
|Set-up time||10 Minutes|
|Dimension||40.3 x 12.8 x 12.5 inches|
|Product Weight||15.65 pounds|
- No need for extra tools
- Less setup time
- Navigation is smooth
- An automatic pool vacuum cleaner
- Moves consistently
- Suitable for small above-ground pools
- Turbines get spoiled easily
Click here to know about the product:
6. Intex Auto Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Automatic Pool Cleaning)
The equipment helps in cleaning above-ground pools automatically. It has a flow rate between 1600 to 3500 GPH and it is quite easy to use.
It takes quite less time to complete the cleaning process and is available at an affordable price.
It helps in cleaning the above-ground pool area in no time. It also has a filter pump and can automatically reverse the direction whenever required.
- Automatic reverses direction
- Less cleaning time
- Comes with a filter pump
- Constructed of durable materials
|Filter Pump Flow Rate||1600 – 3500 GPH|
|Intex Fittings for Above-ground Pools||1-1/2" hose fittings|
|Length Hose||24 ft|
|Dimension||13.4 x 12.2 x 23.4 inches|
|Product Weight||15.3 pounds|
- Automatic reverse-direction controls available
- Durable construction
- Long-lasting cleaner
- Used for smaller above-ground pools
- Effective cleaning
- Cannot remove big debris
- Not meant for in-ground pool cleaning
Learn more about the product here:
7. Aquabot APRVJR Junior Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Cleaning All Pools)
The best above-ground pool cleaner that can be used in any size of the pool and the product is quite safe to use. Aquabot can clean the pool in almost 2 hours and after that, it will automatically stop.
It helps in saving the electricity if you forget to switch off the cleaner. At an affordable price, it gives a consistent, as well as deep cleaning.
The chord gets entangled at times and also it’s not suitable for cleaning large debris. While using it in a larger pool, you must check every 15 minutes to make sure that it works effectively.
- 2-hour automatic shut off timer
- Extra-wide non-marring wheels
- Jet-drive propulsion
- Fully automatic
|Cord Length||40 ft|
|Warranty period||1 Year|
|Cleaning Surfaces||Concrete Fiberglss, Vinyl/ gunite, tiles|
|Dimension||21 x 18 x 19 inches|
|Product Weight||10 pounds|
|Automatic shutdown timer||2 hours|
- Efficient cleaning
- Best for all pools
- Complete cleaning within 2 hours
- Automatic shutdown timer available
- Corrosive and rusting issues
- Movement is hazardous
Click here if you wish to take a look at the cleaner:
8. Zodiac Ranger Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Effective Cleaning)
One of the best above-ground pool cleaners for the pool owner! It is easy to operate, hence the cleaner cleans all kinds of debris. Before starting the cleaning process, the hose needs to be attached.
There is no extra plumbing required while cleaning is carried out. It has various other features such as the cleaner can navigate by itself, vacuum without being distracted by corners or steps, etc.
- Insta-Skim Compact self-adjusting flow control valve and Flowkeeper Valve
- AG Disc for easy gliding along the pool bottom
- Unique Deflector Wheel
- One moving part technology
|Hose Length||32 ft.|
|Dimension||16 x 9.5 x 40.5 inches|
|Product Weight||15 pounds|
|Automatic shutdown timer||2 hours|
- Quieter and simple operation
- No need to worry about the moving part
- Self-adjusting flow control
- Effective cleaning
- Maximum efficiency
- Replacement of diaphragm after 2 years
- De-clogging after picking large debris
To take a closer look at the product, click here:
9. Zodiac Polaris Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Cleaning Shallow Above-Ground Pools)
It is specially designed for cleaning shallow above-ground pools. But it also cleans the bottom of the pool; loosens the debris and dirt from the walls. It is in the shape of a turtle and can clean a pool that has a depth of 5 feet.
The filter bag helps in collecting the dirt before reaching the basket and in this way; it helps in prolonging the life of the filtration system. It maximizes circulation also helps in moving hot and clean water throughout the pool.
- Unique filter bag
- Patented jet sweep assembly
- Maximized Circulation
- Reduced Maintenance
|Dimension||23 x 22.9 x 10.9 inches|
|Product Weight||10 pounds|
|Cleaning Time||2 hours|
- Easy and quick installation
- An automatic pool cleaner
- Provides an all-purpose bag to collect debris
- Easy to remove filter bag
- Cleans pool within 2 hours
- Hose-storage impacts efficiency level
- Cleans only up to 5 ft.
Do you wish to know more about the product? Take a look here:
10. Aquabot X4 Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Cleaning All Sizes of Pools)
It has two ultra-fine mesh filtration baskets that collect the big size debris and consists of an automatic control panel that is used to set the cleaning cycle.
The baskets can collect 190 cubic inches of debris and is quite simple to clean.
It cleans bacteria, algae, and all other debris and also saves on energy costs by 15 times.
It can clean any surface and cleans both above-grounds and in-ground surfaces. It consists of rotating micro brushes that help in the cleaning process.
- 4WD traction and micro-brushes
- AutoX Pool Mapping
- Top-Loading Cartridge and free transport caddy
- Industry-leading pumps
|Dimension||20.4 x 20 x 18.2 inches|
|Product Weight||36.8 pounds|
|Pump Size||85 GPM|
|Time of Cleaning Cycle||2 hours|
|Warranty Period||3 Years|
- A micro-filter that provides heavy-duty performance
- Cleaning cycle runs for 2 hours
- Does not get on corners
- East to replace filters
- Cleans all size of pools
- Lasts for only 1 year
- No instruction manual provided
For more details, select here
11. Intex Krystal Clear Above Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Dirt-Free Pool Cleaning)
The finest pool cleaner helps in making the pool dirt-free, refreshing and also consists of a sand filter pump that helps in cleaning the debris. By using the chemicals, the cleaning of the pools can be done effectively.
It also cleans algae and sanitizes the water and has 6 functions that are backwashing, rinsing, drain, recirculation, filtration and closing the system. It requires quite low maintenance and has a natural way of achieving freshness.
It consists of a digital timer that regulates the pump to switch off and on automatically.
- Saltwater system with E.C.O. (electro catalytic oxidation)
- Easy maintenance filtration
- Automatic operation with digital timer
- High pump flow rate
|Dimension||28.2 x 16.6 x 27.1 inches|
|Product Weight||52.1 pounds|
|Pump Flow Rate||2650 GPH|
|System flow Rate||2150 GPH|
|Warranty Period||2 Years|
- Low maintenance
- Features 24-hour timer
- Achieves freshness in a natural way
- Better cleaning efficiency
- Chemicals can be used
- Not easy to carry
- Louder noise
To know about the product:
12. XtremepowerUS Automatic Above-Ground Pool Vacuum
(Best for Cleaning Without Electricity)
An automatic above-ground pool vacuum that helps in removing pebbles and debris that keeps accumulating. It is a versatile above-ground pool cleaner that works without electricity.
The product performs in-depth pool cleaning and will ensure optimum convenience for the user.
The installation process is quite easy, and the product also performs noise-less operations. If you wish to experience intensive cleaning within the shortest period of time, this particular cleaner would be the perfect option.
Since it’s easy to use, you can handle it well also.
- Adjustable cleaner
- Eco-Friendly Design
- Navigate around the water by itself
- Removable flapper
|Dimension||41 x 18 x 6 inches|
|Product Weight||15 pounds|
|Pump Flow Rate||1600 GPH|
|Warranty Period||1 Years|
- Easier installation
- Noise-less operation
- Ease to use
- Ineffective for collecting hard debris
- Requires a ¾ HP fuel pump
Need more information on the cleaner? Check out the link:
Research That Went Into This Review
This review will give you an idea about the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaners available in the market. I have done a lot of research so that you can decide which cleaner will be better for you.
I have also recommended the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner that I have used. As a result, you can choose the cleaner that will serve your purpose of cleaning.
How to Select the Best Above-Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner?
All newbie’s, as well as the pool owners, must go through this review guide before purchasing the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner. Apart from that, there are few other parameters that one must consider and these are stated below.
Type of Cleaner
Not all above-ground cleaners are good as there are suction based cleaners, robotic based cleaner, turbulence-based cleaners and many more. Before filtering the dirt and debris, the cleaner applies pressure to dislodge it irrespective of which technology it is using.
Shape and Size of the Pool
It is obvious to consider the shape and size of the pool before you select the best above-ground pool cleaner. It helps in determining the amount of time that is required to clean the pool, energy consumption, power consumption, pump strength, etc.
Having a pool size provides more flexibility to the owner; a robotic cleaner is preferred for a small pool whereas a suction-based system is preferred for a larger sized pool.
Weight of the Cleaner
Since you need to lift the cleaner from one place to another, you must consider the weight of the cleaner. It needs to be a lightweight, powerful vacuum cleaner that helps in cleaning the in and out of the pool in a hassle-free way.
Power consumption is an important parameter apart from the speed and the energy usage of the pool. You must consider the power, as well as the unit speed settings for effective cleaning.
If you are planning to clean the pools effectively, you must opt for a robotic vacuum cleaner. You must also know that higher the power consumption, higher will be the electricity bill that you have to pay.
How Is the Filtration System of These Cleaners?
The efficiency of the cleaning operation is dependent on the filtration system. Before purchasing a product, check the filtration system of the cleaners. Purchase the one through which the cleaning can be done thoroughly and quickly.
Brushes and Bristles
You must have opted for the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner but does it clean the algae and calcium deposits. A set of powerful bristles is required to scrub the debris and grime from the floor.
Check whether the cleaner that you are opting for is an automatic one or not. An automatic cleaner comes with brushes, which is used to clean the edges and remove the debris from the area.
How Easy Is It to Operate the Cleaner?
While purchasing an above-ground pool cleaner, you must check whether it is easy to operate or not. The vacuum cleaner must be able to clean the area without getting disrupted and stopping in between the process.
The best cleaner will be the one that requires less input from the owner to operate it. Few vacuum pool cleaners come up with an automatic timer that stops after the cleaning is over.
How Is the Movement Pattern?
For better cleaning efficiency, you must consider a cleaner that can move by itself. Based upon the area that is to be cleaned, the cleaning time is determined. But it is better to select a vacuum cleaner that can clean in a quite short time.
Hose and Cord
An above-ground pool vacuum cleaner requires a hose and a cord that helps in allowing it to move freely while cleaning.
At times, the manufacturer sells the cleaners along with the hose and cable but at times you need to purchase it separately.
There is no need to purchase this equipment separately. Opt for the one that provides hose and cord with the cleaner. Apart from that, make sure that the electric cord is long so that it allows moving freely while cleaning. Get a tangle-free hose to make your movement easier.
Look for the Warranty Period
An above pool vacuum cleaner can be subjected to breakdown at times. It can either be due to a shipping defect or a manufacturing defect. While picking the product, make sure that you are checking the warranty period.
Make sure to read the terms and conditions of the warranty. In this way, a lot of your expenses will be saved as you can change the product for free.
Price of the Cleaner
For a few buyers, the price might be a bottom-line consideration, but there’s no denying the fact that it is also an important factor. After all, you should be satisfied with the cleaner you have purchased.
So, don’t get caught with the cheap products as it can lead to overhead expenses. A robotic-based cleaner can be comparatively expensive but when it comes to the maintenance of above-ground pool cleaning, it will provide a hassle-free process.
Frequently Asked Questions
After going through the guide that provides you with the necessary information about the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner, you can come across different questions.
For that, I have provided answers to the frequently asked questions that can help in purchasing the product.
My Top Pick
Dolphin Escape Robotic Above-ground Pool Cleaner is the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner that I recommend. I have used this product and it works on robotic-based technology and also cleans extra-large debris.
By purchasing the best above-ground pool vacuum cleaner, cleaning of debris will be easier for you. However, always weight all the possibilities, take a look at the pros and cons and then purchase the one that suits your purpose.