The vacuum cleaner market is flooded with appliances. Some will set you back a fortune, while others are quite affordable. I believe most of us would love an affordable device, but picking the best is a challenge. Well, you are in luck.
On this guide, I have compiled some of the best cheap vacuum cleaners of 2019 (don’t expect a Dyson vacuum here). You will learn more about the different units, and I am confident you will have found a machine that meets your needs by the end of this. There is also a buyer’s guide and some FAQs. Finally, I welcome you to leave a comment if you feel there is something I missed.
- Types of Vacuum Cleaners
- Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
- Best Cheap Canister Vacuums Comparison Guide 2019
- 15 Best Cheap Vacuum Cleaners 2019: Rated and Reviewed
- 1. Bissell 9595A CleanView with One Pass Tech
- 2. Hoover UH70210 Pet Rewind Bagless Vacuum
- 3. Bissell Cleanview 1831 Upright Vacuum
- 4. Hoover UH70120 T-Series WindTunnel Upright Vacuum
- 5. Bissell CleanView Plus Rewind 1332 Bagless Vacuum
- 6. Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G
- 7. Sanitaire S3681D Sanitaire Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum
- 8. Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL Pro 5
- 9. Bissell Zing Canister 2156A Vacuum
- 10. Moosoo 17Kpa Cordless Stick Vacuum
- 11. Dirt Devil Simpli-Stick SD20000RED 3-in-1
- 12. Eureka Stick NES210
- 13. Hikeren 12000 Pa Stick Vacuum
- 14. Bissell Featherweight 2033
- 15. Bissell Hard Floor Expert Stick Vacuum
- Cheap Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
Before I get to the core of this review, here is a bit of what to expect. Given the diversity of vacuum cleaners, I wanted to make sure everyone is covered. There are a few canister vacuums, a few uprights, a few stick vacuums, and a few robot vacuums. You can jump to that section if you have something specific in mind.
Also, here are some differences between the different types of vacuums.
- Upright Vacuum Cleaners – These are the most common vacuum cleaners. They are robust and reliable. Given the design, they keep you from bending, ensuring you maintain an upright posture whenever you are cleaning. Moreover, most have motorized brushes for carpets and can transition to hard floors without changing the cleaner head.
- Canister Vacuums – Canister vacuums, unlike upright vacuum, are light, have more power, and are easy to maneuver. They are also silent, and you can use them in areas where silence is crucial. However, they are not pick and go units. Some assembly is required. Most have short cords, and they have fewer accessories compared to uprights and stick vacuums. Moreover, getting used to a canister vacuum might be difficult as we are habituated with uprights.
- Stick vacuums – In ten words or less, I would characterize stick vacuums as light, versatile, maneuverable, and well accessorized. They also happen to be convenient as you can carry them anywhere. However, they lack the power of uprights and have limited runtime if you are working with a cordless unit.
- Robot Vacuums – Finally, we have robot vacuums. If you are on the hunt for a hands-free unit that can handle light cleanups, I recommend getting one of the appliances on this list.
Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
The chance of getting a perfect or a nearly perfect vacuum dirt-cheap is too good to pass up. However, you first have to find the best cheap vacuum cleaner shop near you. You can use any search engine to find one in seconds. A quick “vacuum cleaner shop near me”, or “vacuum cleaner shop in my location”, or “vacuum cleaner shop in my area” search would show you the top-rated outlets.
But to make your work easier, here is a map with the best shops in your location. I am awesome.
Best Cheap Canister Vacuums Comparison Guide 2019
I believe a comparison guide will make the differences clearer, and help with your decision. Also, if you are in a hurry, this should make your work easier.
|Name||Weight in lbs.||Cord/ Runtime||Bagged/ Bagless||Dimensions||HEPA||Warranty|
|Bissell 9595A CleanView with One Pass Tech - Best Overall||15||Corded/ 25-ft||Bagless||14.6 X 10.8 X 31.5||No||2|
|Hoover UH70210 Pet Rewind Bagless Vacuum - Best Upright Vacuum for Pets||17.8||Corded/ 27-ft||Bagless||16 X 12 X 32.5||Yes||2|
|Bissell Cleanview 1831 Upright Vacuum - Best Time-Saver||15.43||Corded/ 25-ft||Bagless||12.5 X 13.5 X 44||No||2|
|Hoover UH70120 T-Series WindTunnel Upright Vacuum - Best for Quality Air||16.53||Corded/ 25-ft||Bagless||16 X 12 X 32.5||Yes||2|
|Bissell CleanView Plus Rewind 1332 Bagless Vacuum||17.42||Corded/ 25-ft||Bagless||12.5 X 13.5 X 44||No||3|
|Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G - Best Cheap Canister Vacuum||8.6||Corded/ 20-ft||Bagged||17.5 X 11.3 X 9||No||1|
|Sanitaire S3681D Sanitaire Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum||10||Corded/ 20-ft||Bagged||19.5 X 18 X 11.5||No||2|
|Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL Pro 5 - Best Lightweight||5||Corded/ 30-ft||Bagged||8 X 6 X 15||No||1|
|Bissell Zing Canister 2156A Vacuum||10||Corded/ 16-ft||Bagless||14 X 11 X 12||No||1|
|Moosoo 17Kpa Cordless Stick Vacuum - Best Cheap Stick Vacuum||2.84||Cordless/ 30-minutes||Bagless||26.1 X 7.4 X 6||Yes||2|
|Dirt Devil Simpli-Stick SD20000RED 3-in-1 - Best for Edge-Cleaning||3.74||Corded/ 16-ft||Bagless||7 X 9 X 40||No||1|
|Eureka Stick NES210 - Best for Large Debris||4||Corded/ 18-ft||Bagless||6 X 10 X 44||No||3|
|Hikeren 12000 Pa Stick Vacuum - Best cheap stick for hard floors||6||Cordless/ 40-min||Bagless||24.8 X 10.6 X 6.5||No||1/1/2002|
|Bissell Featherweight 2033||3||Corded/ 15-ft||Bagless||8.3 X 9.5 X 44.2||No||1|
|Bissell Hard Floor Expert Stick Vacuum - Best for Cleaning Around Furniture||7.1||Corded/ 20-ft||Bagless||11.3 X 10.6 X 43.3||No||1|
15 Best Cheap Vacuum Cleaners 2019: Rated and Reviewed
After reading this individual reviews, you should have understood these devices better. However, you are still welcome to leave a question or any concern in the comments.
1. Bissell 9595A CleanView with One Pass Tech
I consider the Bissell 9595A to be the best cheap vacuum cleaner, and most people do. It has all the necessary features to complete a full house clean-up with ease.
First, there is the one-pass technology that ensures that it can clean or get to deeply embedded dirt in, you guessed it, one pass. As for the cleaning head, you will love the 2-rows of long bristles as it gets to set in dirt with ease while still being gentle to the carpet.
As for the accessories, there is the extension wand for cleaning above-floor areas, the dusting brush for any delicate surface such as drapes, the crevice tool for tight spots such bookcases, and finally the turbobrush tool. The turbobrush is excellent for cleaning pet hair off of upholstery.
By and large, it performs nearly as well as pricier vacuums.
- The suction is strong and will pick up all debris
- It is easy to assemble
- It is short
- It has a large easy to empty bin
- Filters are washable
- The hose is short and stiff. As a result, the vacuum often falls when you tug on the hose
Seeing is believing, right? Well, get a feel of my top pick in this video below. I believe you will love it.
2. Hoover UH70210 Pet Rewind Bagless Vacuum
(Best upright vacuum for pets)
The Hoover UH70210 is a bit pricey compared to other units on this best cheap vacuum cleaner guide, but I consider it to be a cheap vacuum for an upright.
The Hoover UH70210 has a 12-amp motor making it a tank. Other than power, the cyclonic filtration will save you the cost of replacing filters as it reduces the workload on the filters. And speaking of filters, the Hoover UH70210 has a HEPA filter for better air quality, and a carbon filter to eliminate odors.
As for the brushbar, it has 5-height adjustments allowing you to clean low-pile carpets through to deep-pile carpets, and you can turn it on and off. The latter will enable you to clean hard floors without damaging them. Finally, it has enough accessories with a pet turbo-brush, a pet counter-tool, a crevice tool, a dusting brush, a brush tool, and an extension tool.
- It is powerful on pet hair.
- It has a long power cord.
- It has an auto-rewind cord feature.
- It is easy to assemble.
- The filters are washable.
- The hose is rather short.
- It is not exactly light.
If the Hoover 70210 piqued your interest, then I welcome you to watch the video below to help you make a decision.
3. Bissell Cleanview 1831 Upright Vacuum
The next best cheap vacuum cleaner is the Bissell 1831. First, the Bissell 1831 incorporates the same one-pass tech that is the Bissell 9595A. The One Pass technology ensures that you can pick most of the dirt on the first pass and you don’t have to keep moving the vacuum back and forth on the same spot.
As for the suction, it is quite powerful and unchecked, and it will pick up rugs and carpets. The Bissell filters are washable, reducing the cost of consumables. Moreover, the Febreeze filters will eliminate pet odors. Nonetheless, they are not HEPA and will not improve the air quality in your home.
The cleaning path also caught my eye. It is 13.5-inches wide, and thus you can cover large areas on a few passes. Finally, you will love the dirt cup, as it is easy to empty, and being a bagless appliance, it is cheap to maintain.
- Excellent air suction on the hose and cleaner head
- It has ample dirt storage allowing you to clean large areas without emptying
- Sturdy and maneuverable design
- The cord and the hose are short
- It tips over whenever you stretch the hose
4. Hoover UH70120 T-Series WindTunnel Upright Vacuum
(Best for quality air)
The Hoover UH70120 wowed me and had to be on this list of the best cheap vacuum cleaners. First, if you are on the hunt for an inexpensive vacuum that will maintain the air quality in your home, this should be your top pick thanks to the HEPA filter.
Other than air quality, it is also great for cleaning pet hair off upholstery owing to the included air-powered hand tool. It is one I recommend for use around delicate furniture as it has a scuff bumper. The bumper will also protect your unit from damage.
The Hoover UH70120 has a cord rewind feature allowing simpler storage. The cord rewind is an exciting feature as it is not available on pricier devices. Finally, you can adjust the height of the brushroll to clean different types of carpets.
- It is excellent for pet hair
- It is powerful and gets deeply embedded dirt
- The suction is consistent
- It is not ideal for use on hard floors
- It lacks durability
Hoover is a renowned company and the machines are marvelous. Watch the video review of the Hoover 70120 to help finalize that decision.
5. Bissell CleanView Plus Rewind 1332 Bagless Vacuum
Following on this list of the best cheap vacuum cleaners is Bissell 1332. First, it has a triple action brushroll with two types of bristles for cleaning various surfaces. Moreover, you can adjust the height of the brushroll with the use of the dial on the cleaning head. The lowest setting is for low-pile carpets or hard floors, while the highest is for high-pile carpets.
The Bissell 1332 relies on multi-cyclonic filtration, which reduces the workload on the filters. However, it does not have HEPA filters, which is a bummer. The suction power indicator will alert you when the filters are clogged or need to be changed.
Another feature that piqued my interest was the corner tool. It allows you to clean and pick pet hair in tight spots. The powered hand tool is remarkable for upholstery, while the crevice tool is best for tight spots. Finally, the appliance features the much-coveted cord rewind, which blew me away.
- It is quiet
- It is lightweight
- It is powerful
- It gets hot enough in one area to ruin carpets
- The cord is short
Assemmblying vacuums can be a daunting task. Well, not the Bissell 1332 thanks to this video.
6. Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G
(Best Cheap Canister Vacuum Cleaner)
My best pick for the best cheap canister vacuum cleaner, it had to be the Eureka 3670G. At 8.5-pounds, it is light and thus easy to carry. The lightweight design comes in handy why carrying it up and down a flight of stairs. Moreover, it has a handle on top, so it is easier to haul.
First, you will appreciate the tools included. There is an extension tool, a telescopic wand, a hard floor tool, an attachment clip, a power paw, and a shoulder strap. By and large, it is a versatile device. The accessories can be stored on the device, reducing the likelihood of misplacing the attachments.
Another terrific feature is the slip ring on the hose. It allows you to adjust the suction depending on your cleaning needs.
- It is terrific for hard floors and low-pile carpets
- It has a cord clip to hold the cord
- The wheels are large, and thus it is easy to pull behind you
- It has a long 31-ft reach
- It has a snowplowing effect when cleaning large debris on hard floors
- It is loud
In this video, you will witness the performance of the vacuum on carpets and other small debris.
7. Sanitaire S3681D Sanitaire Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum
The next best cheap canister vacuum cleaner is the Sanitaire S3681D. It falls under the Electrolux umbrella and has some strong backing. Powered by a 12-amp motor and will pick deeply embedded dirt. As for the cord, it is only 20-ft long, but that is enough when coupled with the 7-ft hose plus extension wand that further increases the reach. It also happens to be a quiet unit with a 71db noise level.
Another terrific feature of the Sanitaire S3681D is the deluxe set of tools. First, they store on-board, and there is little chance of misplacing them. The attachments include an upholstery tool, a telescopic wand, a deluxe rug/floor attachment, and a crevice tool. I would love to go into detail about the deluxe rug/floor attachment.
When cleaning hard floors bristles pop out, providing soft padding to protect the surface and pick fine dust. When cleaning rugs, the bristles are recessed, allowing the steel sole plate to be in contact with the carpet for superior suction.
- It is quiet, and you can use it where silence is paramount
- It is lightweight
- It is compact and easy to carry
- It can sit horizontally, or vertically
- It gets hot to touch when running
8. Oreck Commercial BB900DGR XL Pro 5
Most of the devices on this list are lightweight. At 8 to 15-pounds, these are pretty light machines. However, none can come close to the Oreck Pro 5. At 5-pounds, it is the best lightweight unit. You can use it for hours without fatigue. First, it does not have roller wheels, but why would it need some given the weight. However, it does include a strap allowing you to carry it ghostbuster’s style.
The Oreck Pro 5 is best for hardwood floors as the cleaner head is designed for such tasks. It also has some terrific attachments, including the crevice tool, upholstery tool, and the dusting brush.
Finally, it has an unrivaled reach for a canister vacuum. At 30-ft, it allows you to clean without having to change outlets.
- It includes a manual cord wrap
- It is light
- It has an attachment clip for holding the accessories
- It is compact and easy to store
- The strap often comes loose, and the vacuum drops on the floor
- It is not powerful and requires several passes to pick embedded dirt
If you love detailed reviews, then check out this one on the XL Pro 5. You will be an expert of this Oreck Vac afterwards.
9. Bissell Zing Canister 2156A Vacuum
Seeing as the Bissell 2156A is compact and lightweight, that it generates remarkable suction, and that it is affordable, it had to be on this list of the best cheap vacuum cleaners. It relies on cyclonic filtration, which involves spinning the air rapidly to separate it from the debris. Consequently, it reduces the workload on the filter, reducing the number of times you have to change them. And speaking of filters, it has a post and pre-motor, and both happen to be rinsable. However, none are HEPA.
As for the cleaner head, it works both on carpets and hard floors. The cleaner head has a switch that allows you to extend and retract bristles for cleaning hard surfaces or carpets. Nonetheless, it is better on hard floors than on carpets.
The 16-ft power cord is limiting (it should be 4 or 5-ft longer), but it should be enough to clean when coupled with the hose and extension wand.
- It is marvelous on hard floors
- It is relatively quiet
- It is affordable
- The filters are washable, reducing the expenses
- It has an automatic power cord rewind
- Attachments use compression fit, and accessories can fall off
- The power cord is short
10. Moosoo 17Kpa Cordless Stick Vacuum
(Best cheap stick vacuum)
My pick for the best cheap stick vacuum cleaner is this Moosoo Cordless. It is lightweight, powerful, and affordable. First, at 2.84-pounds, you can work for hours without fatigue. The light design also comes in handy when cleaning above-floor areas.
The brushless tech is also intriguing as it is stronger than most motors. Additionally, it increases the life expectancy given that there are few moving parts, and it happens to be quiet. The filtration is also superb with 4-stages filtration, and a HEPA filter. The vacuum is also sealed, reducing the likelihood of allergens getting back into the air.
As for the runtime, the battery is enough for 30-min clean-up time in standard mode, and 15-min in max mode. However, you can purchase a second battery to increase the runtime.
- The battery is removable, and you can increase the runtime by investing in a second battery
- It has strong suction
- It has swivel steering, and thus it is easy to maneuver
- It is affordable
- It has few attachments reducing the versatility
- The dust canister is small, and you have to empty it often before you complete a job
Moosoo is not that popular in the vacuum world and that is why I feel you should watch this video to get a better understanding of the unit.
11. Dirt Devil Simpli-Stick SD20000RED 3-in-1
(Best for edge cleaning)
Following on this guide of the best cheap vacuum cleaners is the Dirt Devil Simpli-Stick. It is a 3-in-1 unit, and you can use it as an extended vacuum, a hand vacuum, or a stick vacuum. If you are looking for an affordable, versatile device, then I recommend this.
It relies on suction and thus it is best for hard floors though you can use it on carpets to pick large debris. First, the cleaner head is channeled on the bottom to direct all dirt to the suction port.
There is also a rubber squeegee that directs debris and prevents suction loss. Finally, the channel is cut out on the edges for superior edge cleaning.
The fact that it can retract fully is also fascinating, as it allows you to get into tight spots. As for the tools, it has a crevice tool for cleaning tight areas.
- It is affordable
- Converting the device into the various modes is effortless
- The crevice attaches to the wand
- The suction is not reliable
- It does not have a HEPA filter
12. Eureka Stick NES210
(Best for large debris)
The next best cheap canister vacuum is the Eureka NES210. It also happens to be a 3-in-1 unit, but it is a bit different from the Dirt Devil Simpli Stick. It works as a stick vacuum and will pick up most of the dirt with the 2-amp motor. However, that is only the beginning as you can use it as a dustbuster (handheld vac) or as a stair vac. The stair vacuum is simply attaching the cleaner head to the handheld vac.
One shortcoming of most traditional vacuums is that they are stiff and clean in a forward and backward motion. Well, not the Eureka NES210. It swivels steers allowing you to get around furniture and other obstacles with ease. Finally, it has a cord that is enough for medium and small houses, and it is light at 4-pounds.
- It has a cord clip for holding the cord
- It includes an attachment clip for attaching the crevice tool
- The capture nozzle is the largest and will capture large debris
- The cord is short and not ideal for cleaning large areas
- It lacks the power to deep clean carpets
The Eureka NES210 is a simple machine; it does not have the bells and wistles present in other machines, but it works. Here is how people feel about it.
13. Hikeren 12000 Pa Stick Vacuum
(Best cheap stick for hard floors)
Though the Hikeren is not as affordable as the other stick vacuums on this list, I still consider it one of the best cheap vacuum cleaners. First, it converts to a handheld for above floor and upholstery cleaning.
The Hikeren is a mighty unit that relies on suction to pick debris. At 12KPa there is little the appliance cannot pick. As for power, it is adjustable between low and high power mode. The low power mode is excellent for picking fine debris on hard surfaces, while the high power mode is perfect for carpets.
Being a cordless vacuum, I have to talk about the runtime. You can use this unit for 40-minutes in low power mode, and 30-minutes in high power mode. Terrific, right? Some more fascinating features of the Hikeren is that it has LED lights for cleaning dark areas, and is made of durable but light ABS plastic.
- It has a long runtime
- Seeing as it is brushless, it will last longer
- It is also gentle on your carpets
- It has a foldable handle for better storage
- The battery shows the remaining charge
- It cannot deep clean carpets
Witness the foldable handle design of the Hikeren in this video.
14. Bissell Featherweight 2033
At 2.6-pounds, the Bissell 2033 is incredibly light and had to be on this best cheap vacuum cleaners guide. You can use it around the house without any fatigue. Moreover, it is slim and will get into tight spots where bigger vacuum cleaners cannot.
The Bissell 2033 is a 2-in-1 device and works as a handheld and stick vacuum. It happens to be a corded device, but it happens to be short at 15-ft. It is ideal for small to medium houses. As for the bin, it will suffice for medium and small houses though you will have to empty it often if the house is dirty.
The Bissell 2033 is best for hard floors. It does not have a motorized brush roll, and thus cleaning carpets will be a task. However, the incredible suction makes it ideal for hard floors.
- It can stand on its own and will come in handy when cleaning
- It is easy to store thanks to the slim design
- The plastic build makes it light, but it is still durable and firm
- It has a short cord
- Getting replacement parts will be a pain
15. Bissell Hard Floor Expert Stick Vacuum
(Best for cleaning around furniture)
The last item on this best cheap vacuum guide is the Bissell Hard Floor Expert. At first, the V-shaped head is challenging to understand, but it happens to be the device’s best feature. The head channels large debris to the opening at the center of the machine where it is sucked up by the strong suction. The V-shaped also allows you to get close to furniture with ease.
The Bissell Hard Floor Expert is best for, you guessed it, hard floors. It does not have a motorized brushroll thus cleaning carpets will be difficult. Versatility is not this unit’s strong suit, but it does well for hard floors.
It is also cheap to maintain as there are no consumables such as dirt bags, and filters are washable. The cord also happens to be decent, allowing you to clean without having to change outlets.
- It is perfect for large debris
- Cleaning around furniture is now a breeze
- It is perfect for cleaning pet hair
- It is easy to clean
- It is not versatile as it does not have hand attachments and works only as a stick vac
Stick vacuums are fascinating, and you can find the best stick vacuums here.
Get a feel of the Bissell Hard Floor Expert with this video review.
Cheap Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
If you want the best affordable vacuum cleaner, you have to know what you are looking for. Here is a complete buying guide to help you make an informed decision.
What do you need it for?
Vacuum cleaners are not made equal, and each is specialized for specific tasks. First, you have to identify the tasks you will be handling before you set out to purchase. If your house is 95% carpet, then get a device that excels at cleaning carpets. If it is 95% hard floors, then get an appliance that can clean hard floors such as the Bissell Hard Floor Expert.
You should also stop to consider whether you need an appliance that you can use for above-floor cleaning. Some of these devices are designed for cleaning floor surfaces and lack the versatility to clean above-floor areas.
Before we get to the performance, let’s consider the filtration. These are cheap vacuums, so there are compromises, and filtration is one area that suffers. If you are sensitive to allergies, invest in a device that is completely sealed and has HEPA filters such as the Moosoo stick vacuum. You will appreciate the 4-stage filtration and sealed design.
A vacuum is only as good as its performance. Considering the low cost, I do not expect these to compete with pricier units, but ensure that they can handle most cleaning tasks.
How often do you vacuum?
The frequency of your vacuuming may be impacted by the ease of use of the vacuum. If daily vacuuming is the norm, then you need a device that you access and use quickly. It should be slim and light that it is easy to carry. If your debris concentrates in a particular area, then a stick vacuum is ideal.
Moreover, you have to stop and consider the number of levels your house has. You don’t want to haul a bulky vacuum up and down several flights of stairs every day.
How much noise can you stand? If silence is paramount, I recommend getting one of the brushless vacuums, or the canister vacuums. Canister vacuums have more room for insulation and happen to be quieter than uprights and stick vacuums. The brushless stick vacuums are slightly silent thanks to the fact that they don’t have the rotating brush bar.
Finally, consider the maintenance that is required. Best cheap vacuum cleaners should be easy and inexpensive to maintain. For uprights, invest in bagless vacuums as this reduces the cost of consumables. Also, invest in an appliance with washable filters to further lower the cost of maintenance.
Time for some frequently asked questions as I wind up this piece.
Compiling this best cheap vacuum cleaners was no small task given the wide variety. However, any of these devices will suffice for anyone on a tight budget. As I promised earlier, there is something small for everyone. If you are looking for a stick vacuum, I am confident that you can find one by following the guide. In conclusion, I welcome you to leave any questions or thoughts in the comments below.