Kids, pets, alcohol, and other liquids can turn your pet into an ugly mess. Kids and pets will track dirt onto your carpets without a care in the world. However, hauling a bulky upright out of storage is a daunting task for this small cleaning tasks, and that is why you should get a spot carpet cleaner.
But what are the best spot carpet cleaners? Which is the best portable carpet cleaner? Which is the best handheld carpet cleaner? If these are some of the things you are struggling with, you are in luck as I have reviewed the best carpets spot cleaners making your work easier.
I also welcome you to read beyond the comparison table as there is more information, such as the buying guide.
Benefits of a Carpet Spot Cleaner
A portable carpets cleaner is a lighter, more compact version of the upright vacuum; only that you cannot use it for demanding tasks or cleaning large areas. It comes with many benefits which will be a boon to homeowners. Here are some of the few benefits.
- Compact – Handheld carpet cleaners are about half the size of most spot carpet cleaners. Their small size though is their primary advantage over traditional carpet cleaners. They are easy to store and perfect for people with limited storage space and are also an excellent option for people with smaller living spaces such as RVs and dorm rooms.
- Lightweight – Other than size, these devices also happen to be light; another benefit over the upright cleaners. As a result, they will be easier to carry around the house. They pose less of a risk, especially when you are carrying them up or down the stairs.
- Quick Cleanups – Instant cleaning is another great benefit of these appliances. You can clean up your kid’s mess in a trice, get rid of small messes before quests arrive, and even clean pet hair.
- Portable – With their lightweight design comes portability. Whether the best handheld vacuum cleaner comes with a cord or not, you can take it with you anywhere. You have more opportunities to clean outdoors, as well as indoors. You can clean your car as well as your bedroom.
- Easy to Use – Finally, using these devices is a cakewalk. They are perfect for kids and the elderly.
Best Carpet Spot Cleaner shops Near You
Buying a spot carpet cleaner online is easy and less time-consuming. However, it lacks the simple pleasure associated with going shopping. Furthermore, it carries the risk of receiving a defective cleaner as you cannot test it. Thus, I advocate you find the best handheld carpet cleaner shop in your location. Finding one is quite easy too.
Here are some search terms you can use to find the best shop.
- Best spot carpet cleaner shop near me
- Best portable carpet cleaner shop in my location
- Best handheld carpet cleaner shop in my location
- Best spot carpet cleaner shop in UK
However, I have done the heavy lifting for you with the map below.
Best Portable Carpet Cleaners Comparison Table 2019
Before we get into the meat of this, here is a comparison guide with some of the features.
|Name||Weight in pounds||Corded/Cordless||Cord Length/ Runtime||Tank Capacity||Dimensions in inches||Warranty|
|Bissell SpotClean Pro (3624) - Best Overall||13||Corded||22-ft||96-oz||10 X 14 X 14||2|
|Bissell SpotBot Pet 33N8A - Runner Up||14.1||Corded||16-ft||32-oz||9 X 7 X 13.5||2|
|Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner - Most portable spot carpet cleaner||20.1||Corded||15-ft||64-oz||17.8 X 12.5 X17.8||2|
|Hoover Spotless Portable Carpet Cleaner FH11300PC - Easiest to maintain||9||Corded||14-ft||51-oz||9.7 X 13.9 X 15||2|
|Bissell SpotClean Pet Pro 2458 - Best for gross pet messes||13.2||Corded||22-ft||96-oz||10 X 14 X 14||2|
|Bissell Little Green Pro Heat Portable Carpet Cleaner 14259 - Best for tight spots||2.7||Corded||15-ft||48-oz||8.2 X 17.2 X 12.5||1|
|Bissell Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet Cleaner (1400B) - Best for environmentalists||12||Corded||15-ft||51-oz- solution tank; 36-oz-retriaval tank||9.7 X 13.9 X 15||1|
|Hoover FH11400PC Deluxe Spotless Carpet Cleaner - Most customizable handheld vacuum cleaner||9||Corded||14-ft||-||16.8 X 11.2 X 15||2|
|Bissell SpotClean 5207A Portable Carpet Cleaner - Best for cleaning large areas||9.2||Corded||15-ft||370z||16.5 X 5.5 X 7||2|
|Bissell Pet Stain Eraser - Best cordless spot carpet cleaner||4.6||Cordless||15-min||8-oz||16.5 X 5.5 X z||2|
|Bissell 1570 Cordless Spot Cleaner – Most powerful cordless spot cleaner||8.1||Cordless||20-min||37-oz||6.5 X 12 X 14.5||2|
|Bissell ProHeat 2X Lift-Off Carpet Cleaner – Versatile||26||Corded||22-ft||-||19 X 13 X 44||3|
|ONEPWR Spotless Go Portable Carpet Cleaner - Best for compatibility||7||Cordless||10-min||9-0z||13 X 10 X 15||2|
|Bissell SPotLifter PowerBrush 1716 Portable Carpet Cleaner – Budget pick||4||Corded||18-ft||8-oz- solution tank; 12-oz retrieval tank||18.5 X 9.8 X 7.4||1|
|Aqua Pro Vac Carpet Extractor - Best high end||36||Corded||0||1.5gal solution tank; 1-6gal retrieval tank||21 X15 X 17||-|
15 Best Spot Carpet Cleaners 2019: Rated and Reviewed
Now that you have a feel of what to expect let’s get started. You can expect to learn about the various devices than what is included in the comparison table above. I also welcome you to leave a comment if you have any contribution or question.
1. Bissell Spotclean Pro (3624)
The Bissell Spotclean Pro 3624 is undoubtedly the best spot carpet cleaner. It is a beast of a machine and will make quick work of any stains.
First, the Bissell 3624 is a powerful unit and will get rid of even the toughest stains on carpets, and upholstery. The included tough stain remover makes the entire task a whole lot easier. You will enjoy cleaning your stairs thanks to the 6” stair tool. It makes it is not too large to fit on stairs, neither is it too small that you will need two or three passes to cover the entire surface.
As for the cleaning temperature, it is limited to whatever comes out of your hot water tap. Therefore you run little risk of burning yourself or damaging your fabric. The water tank is substantial —probably the largest at 0.75 gallons. It allows you to clean large areas on one tank. The tank lid also caught my eye. It is removable, and you can scrub the inside.
Finally, it has a 27-ft reach thanks to the 5-ft hose and the 22-ft power cord.
- It is easy to store as the cord and hose wrap around the unit.
- It works. It is robust and will clean the most powerful stains.
- It has strong suction.
- It is bulky at 13.2 pounds and gets heavier once you add the liquid.
- The hose breaks easily.
2. Bissell SpotBot Pet 33N8A
This might sound too good to be true, but the Bissell SpotBot Pet 33N8A is a handsfree unit. Turn it on, and it will deep clean any stain without your involvement. Thanks to its deep reach system, it will carpet stains from the roots leaving your surfaces spotless. The spiral brushing action also gets rid of deeply embedded stains thanks to the fast cleaning action.
Another reason why I consider this as one of the best handheld carpet cleaners is the antimicrobial protection. This gets rid of all pet odors and inhibits the growth and spread of bacteria.
The automatic smart system calculates the amount of solution required to clean a stain reducing wastage of cleaning solution. Though it is a hands-free unit, there is still room to use it as a manual cleaner with the handheld cleaning brush.
- It is easy to use as very little input is required from you.
- The detergent included works.
- It is compact and thus easy to use.
- The device is not without shortcomings.
- The tank openings are small, and thus cleaning the tasks is nearly impossible.
- It is bulky at 14 pounds.
3. Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner
(Most portable spot carpet cleaner)
Following on this list of the best portable carpet cleaner is the Rug Doctor. This is an affordable yet robust spot carpet cleaner. Moreover, it is the most portable thanks to the retractable cord and the large wheels. The wheels also make it easy to work on plush carpets.
Another remarkable feature of this device is the motorized brush. It eliminates the need for elbow grease when cleaning tough stains as it does the job for you. As for reach, it is not the best, but it is substantial. With a 15-ft cord and a 5.5-ft hose, you can clean most surfaces with ease.
The strong suction leaves the carpets almost dry as it picks most of the solution. Finally, I cannot ignore that it has removable tanks. Emptying and filling up the tans is, therefore, a walk in the park.
- It eliminates odors as it injects soapy water deep into the carpets.
- The removable tanks are a nice touch as it is easy to empty and fill up.
- It leaves a small drip puddle of dirty water under the device.
- It is bulky.
4. Hoover Spotless Portable Carpet Cleaner FH11300PC
(Easiest to maintain)
Next on our list of the best portable carpet cleaner is the Hoover FH11300PC. Two things stood out for me when it comes to this device; the self-clean technology, and the new solution button.
First, using a spot carpet cleaner leaves a lot of solution in the hose and cleaning is a pain. The self-clean tech gets rid of all cleaning solution left in the hose. Also, unlike other models where you have to pump the solution, the Hoover FH11300PC produces a steady stream of solution.
The suction on this unit also happens to be unmatched. It will leave the carpets almost dry. It also doesn’t hold that much water, which saves you the trouble of carrying a bulky device.
- It has tools for customization.
- It is a powerful device that will make short work of any stains.
- It has self-cleaning technology.
- It is lighter than most devices here.
- The red plastic brush breaks up and leaves bristles all over your carpet.
5. Bissell SpotClean Pet Pro 2458
(Best for gross pet messes)
If your pets have made it a habit to do their business in the house, and especially on your carpets, it is about time you got the Bissell 2458. Thanks to the stain trapper tool, you can now clean these gross pet messes and store them in a different dirt tank, keeping them out of the central unit.
Other than the stain trapper tool, this Bissell Pet pro has a tough stain removal tool for scrubbing those tough stains. Combine this with the tough suction and the cleaning formula, and you will get rid of the toughest stains.
Another reason I consider this as one of the best spot carpet cleaners is the reach. It has a 22-ft power cord and a 5-foot hose. Combined, they give you unmatched reach. Finally, there is a large water tank; you can clean large areas without needing to refill the appliance.
- For every purchase, Bissell donates to the Bissell Pet Foundation
- You can clean gross messes with ease.
- The included detergent is remarkable.
- It is bulky, and it only gets heavier when you add water.
6. Bissell Little Green Pro Heat Portable Carpet Cleaner 14259
(Best for tight spots)
Next on this list of the best portable carpet cleaner is the Bissell 14259. If you are on the hunt for an aesthetically pleasing carpet cleaner, then get this device. It is also ideal for people with OCD.
The crevice tool helps get dirt in tight spots, and you can clean those juice spills in furniture crevices.
Another interesting feature of this device is the in-built water heater. Unlike other devices which you have to fill with hot water, the Bissell 14259, warms up water up to 25-degrees. It will not get it to boiling temperature, but it will be enough for stains.
Other tools included in this device are the deep reach tool, for those embedded stains, and the stain tool. The vacuum head also picks up pet hair, which is a nice touch.
- It has a large dirt tank.
- Scrubbing and vacuuming the water requires one pass.
- The water tanks are easy to fill and clean.
- You need elbow grease as you will be scrubbing most of the stains.
- Though the tank is large, I cannot recommend it for people with large houses.
7. Bissell Multi-Purpose Portable Carpet Cleaner (1400B)
(Best for environmentalists)
If you happen to be an environmentalist, the best spot carpet cleaner for you is the Bissell 1400B. But what is so green about this device? First, it is made of no less than 50% of recycled materials.
Second, the water tanks are PVC free, and finally, it is smaller and uses less energy compared to upright vacuum cleaners.
And while we are still on the topic of tanks, they are easy to fill, empty, and clean. This appliance also has a strong suction allowing you to clean and dry areas in a few passes.
You will also appreciate that it is lightweight at 9.65pounds. Though it gets heavier once you fill it with hot water, it still happens to be lighter than other appliances here.
- It is quick and easy to assemble.
- You can use it to clean upholstery and your car.
- It is not as noisy as an upright carpet cleaner.
- It removes old stains with ease.
- It needs elbow grease to remove all the stains.
- It gets difficult to clean with once dirt and grime start to build in the appliance.
8. Hoover FH11400PC Deluxe Spotless Carpet Cleaner
(Most customizable handheld vacuum cleaner)
Following on our list of the best spot carpet cleaner is the Hoover FH11400PC. The FH11400PC is the upgraded version of the Hoover FH11300. It includes more tools for customization, but you have to spend money.
Additional tools that retail with this device include the stair tool, the 2-in-1 anti-microbial tool, the crevice tool, and the accessory bag. The accessory bag is perfect as it reduces the likelihood of losing the attachments. The crevice tool allows you to get into tight spaces, while the anti-microbial tool protects the device from bacteria and mold.
The dual tank separates clean water from dirty water, but it is a standard feature on most carpet cleaners. It has a strong motor-power thus, the suction will be better. Finally, it also has the self-clean technology that eliminates any solution left in the hose.
- It is easy to use as it saves you the trouble of having to clean it.
- It wets upholstery and carpet in no time.
- There unit leaks where the hose meets the handle. This further affects the suction.
9. Bissell SpotClean 5207A Portable Carpet Cleaner
(Best for cleaning large areas)
Most portable carpet cleaners do not heat cold water, and neither do they keep it warm. Therefore, you have to work faster before the water turns cold. However, the Bissell 5207A comes with heatwave technology that will keep the water hot, allowing you to clean larger areas. It will not heat cold water, but it allows you to work for longer periods without having to change the water.
Another feature that allows this device to rank among the best spot carpet cleaners is the deep reach tool that enables you to reach deeply embedded stains. It removes stains from the roots leaving your carpet sparkling.
As for the accessories, the 5207A has a 3-inch wide tool which will suffice for most cleaning tasks. The tanks are also perfect as they are easy to refill and clean. Finally, it is slim, allowing you to work in tight spaces and storing is simple.
- It cleans like a maniac. It is strong, and stains will be a cakewalk.
- It is easy to assemble.
- The electric cord is long.
- It is durable.
- Emptying the dirty water tank is difficult and unhygienic. I recommend you use gloves.
- Filling the water tank in the sink is difficult as you cannot see the fill lines.
10. Bissell Pet Stain Eraser
(Best cordless spot carpet cleaner)
There are instances where you want the convenience of a cordless device. If you are one such person and you are on the hunt for the best handheld carpet cleaner, then get the Bissell Pet Stain Remover.
This Bissell has a 15-minute runtime which is more than enough for spot cleaning. With hot water, the quality brush, and the cleaning solution, you will remove the stains in seconds. It takes 4-hrs to charge, and though this might seem long, it is something you can work with unless you have pets and kids who are constantly making messes.
As for price, it is more affordable than most of the other devices on this list. It also happens to be lighter at 4.6 pounds. It can also reach those nooks and crannies. You can also get the Bissell Pet Stain Remover Deluxe which includes the window attachment tool that is ideal for cleaning smudges and other dirt that might collect on windows.
- It is lightweight.
- It is cordless, and you can use it with ease as you are not tethered to an outlet.
- The reservoirs are see-through, and you can know when to empty.
- There are instances where it leaks from the cleaning solution.
11. Bissell 1570 Cordless Spot Cleaner
(Most powerful cordless spot cleaner)
If you want to give up the cord but not the power, then get the Bissell 15702. It is similar to our other top picks for the best spot carpet cleaner, but it is cordless, and thus you can carry it with you everywhere.
The 15702 works with a 25-volt lithium-ion battery. This is way better than batteries used on most stick vacuums and saws, assuring you of power. Other than power, you will love the included tools. First, you have the tough stain brush with suction. You scrub any stains while picking the dirt. However, my best tool was the 3-in-1 tool.
The 3-in-1 tool is the heart of Bissell’s innovation. It allows you to clean corners, edges, and the treads of carpeted stairs.
- You can carry it anywhere as you are not tethered to an outlet.
- It is robust making quick work of any stain.
- It is light at 8.2 pounds — less than a gallon of milk.
- It is versatile.
- The suction is not that strong. Ensure you have a fan to dry things.
12. Bissell ProHeat 2X Lift-Off Carpet Cleaner
This next device on this best handheld carpet cleaner guide is not a handheld carpet cleaner, but it has a lift-off feature that allows you to use it as a handheld. This 2-in-1 design comes at a price, but I think it is a reasonable trade-off.
It has the coveted heatwave technology that maintains the water temperature, but that does not mean it will heat it. You still have to fill this appliance with hot water. Another terrific feature is the easy-fill system that prevents spills when filling the device with a cleaning solution.
As for the upright, it has two rows of power brushes that will get deeply embedded stains. You can use it for full carpet cleanups, while the detachable is best for spot cleaning.
- Retails with powerful brushes that eliminate the toughest messes.
- It gets into tight spots thanks to the 6-foot hose.
- The water tank is easy to clean owing to the large opening.
- It does not dampen carpets excessively.
- The upright unit is heavy and difficult to store.
- It is quite noisy.
13. ONEPWR Spotless Go Portable Carpet Cleaner
(Best for compatibility)
If you have kids or pets, or both, then you know the song and dance. Kid messes up, and you go get the carpet cleaner. Often, you have to struggle with untangling the cord and getting to the closest outlet, but you are in luck as this is a cordless unit. It is truly a grab and go device that will save you the pain.
This device has a ten-minute runtime, and though that is not long, it is enough to get rid of the pet messes. As for the charge time, it takes 3-hrs to full charge, which is short for a cordless unit. As for the tools, it has one multi-purpose tool that can scrub and spray most surfaces. It also lifts the solution from the carpets.
Finally, it is easy to store, as there is no cord to fold, and it is compact.
- As a cordless unit, it is easy to use.
- Part of the ONEPWR ecosystem and thus you can use any battery from any other ONEPWR device.
- It is light.
- The runtime is short. Ten minutes might not be enough for tough stains.
- It is not as versatile as it lacks accessories.
14. Bissell SpotLifter PowerBrush 1716 Portable Carpet Cleaner
The Bissell 1716 is the best spot carpet cleaner for people on a tight budget. It is a fraction of the price of other units here and will not leave a dent in your bank.
It is a lightweight unit weighing 4-pounds but it cannot the pet stain eraser as it is corded. The lightweight design allows you to work for hours without strain. Though the cord limits you, I think you will be happy to know that it is 18-ft long.
Another interesting feature of this device is that it has a rotating brush. Therefore, you don’t need any elbow grease to clean stains. Finally, it has a stain formula included, and the tank can hold enough water to clean most messes.
- It is light allowing you to work for long hours.
- The rotating brush ensures you get the dirt off the carpet without using any energy on your part.
- The included formula is powerful.
- This device does not suck up water well.
15. Aqua Pro Vac Carpet Extractor
(Best high end)
If you are on a generous budget, you might want to try the Aqua Pro Vac. However, it is pricey for a spot cleaner. First, it is a portable unit that you can carry anywhere, and it has 360-degree castor wheels on the front for maneuverability, and large back wheels for moving on plush carpets.
Included in the package are two attachments and a long hose. The attachments are only different in terms of size and color. You can use the large attachment on carpets, while the other is best for upholstery and other tight spots.
This device uses water pressure to extract dirt. It does not include a brush, so you have to agitate the surface with a separate brush before you extract the stain. That is too much work considering that most units on this list of best spot carpet cleaners have brush attachments.
- It is easier to move around.
- It has large tanks allowing you to clean longer without having to refill.
- It has a clear, upholstery tool.
- It has a long cord and a long hose.
- It is bulky.
- It is pricey.
- It does not have wheel locks, so it moves around a lot.
Spot Carpet Cleaner Buying Guide
As promised, here is the buying guide to help you make an informed decision when purchasing a spot carpet cleaner. I believe this will be enough to help you pick the best portable carpet cleaner.
First, you have to consider the water the device can hold both in the solution tank and the dirt tank. The ideal tank size will depend on the size of your house, and the weight one can handle. Some of these devices are on the heavy side, and adding water only adds weight.
Though large tanks add weight, small tanks require frequent refills which can be a pain. I recommend the former as it allows you to clean larger areas with ease.
Remember you will spraying water and cleaning solution to your upholstery and carpets, and you need a device that can pick the dirt and retrieve the water. The device with the strongest suction on this guide is the Aqua Pro Vac at 79’ of water.
Dual Tank Design
Most of the modern cleaners have separate tanks; one for the dirty water and the other for cleaning water. Though this should be a standard design, there are still portable carpet cleaners that work with one tank. Using the same tank for the solution and the dirty water will only add dirt back to your surfaces.
Also, invest in a device with a third tank for those gross pet messes. The Bissell 2458 is one such device.
Cleaning Brush Action
If you don’t want to do a lot of hand scrubbing when working with a portable carpet cleaner, then get a device with handsfree cleaning action or a rotating brush. Nonetheless, these are few in the market and as such, get a device with a tough brush and a deep stain attachment.
The tough brush will agitate the stain with ease, while the deep stain attachment will get the spots from the roots.
We have come to the end of this review. Thank you for coming this far and allow me to answer some frequently asked questions about portable carpet cleaners.
Whatever your circumstances are, maybe you have an active life with several pets and children, accidents will happen. Kids will track mad on to your carpets without a care in the world, and pets will accidentally do their business in the house. For these small accidents, use a portable carpet cleaner.
Moreover, vacuuming is not enough as it will not get too deeply embedded dirt — another reason to invest in the best spot carpet cleaner. I have presented you with my choices, and hopefully, I have helped you narrow down and probably find the best portable carpet cleaner. If you feel there is something I missed, let me know in the comments below.