I have dogs, 2 actually, and they shed unimaginable amount of hair. Also, if you are here, I am sure you are on the hunt for a vacuum that will make short work of pet hair, and we will get to that shortly.
I understand the pain of trying to nail the perfect vacuum for pet hair. Some only snowplow the pet hair, while others clog easily. In the guide below, I have provided the best machines for pet hair.
There are appliances which are perfect for people on a budget and those that are perfect for folks on a rather generous budget. You can also scroll down to our buying guide to learn what to look for.
- The Pet Hair Problem
- So, What Makes a Vacuum the Best for Pet Hair?
- Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
- Best Vacuum for Pet Hair Comparisson Table 2019
- Best Vacuum for Pet Hair for 2019: Reviewed and Rated
- 1. Shark Apex Upright Vacuum AZ1002
- 2. Shark NV752 Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
- 3. Dyson Animal 2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 4. Bissell 20431 Powerglide Lift-Off Pet Plus Upright Bagless Vacuum
- 5. New Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- 6. Shark Rocket DuoClean HV382 Ultra-Light with Hand Vacuum
- 7. Dyson V11 Animal Vacuum Cleaner
- 8. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A Upright Vacuum
- 9. Shark Rotator Professional NV501 Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum
- 10. Dirt Devil Razor Pet Bagless Multi-Floor Corded UD70355B Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 11. Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright NV42 Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpets
- 12. Electrolux EL4335A Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum
- 13. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 14. Shark Rocket Corded Ultra-Light HV292 Handheld Vacuum
- 15. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Canister Vacuum
- 16. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away XL Capacity NV755 with Canister Caddy
- 17. Hoover Power Drive Pet Bagless Multi-Floor UH74210PC Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 18. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx Bagless Corded Cyclonic SH20030 Lightweight Stick Vacuum
- 19. Dyson V6 Cordless Animal Vacuum Cleaner
- 20. Bissell 1646 PowerGlide Pet Vacuum
- 21. iRobot Roomba 980 Wi-Fi Connected Vacuuming Robot
- 22. Bissell Bolt Lithium Ion Pet Stick Vacuum
- 23. Bissell PowerFresh Pet Steam Mop
- 24. Bissell Air Ram 1984 Cordless Vacuum
- 25. Eureka NEU180B Lightweight Powerful Upright
- 26. Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Rewind Plus Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum UH70210
- 27. Bissell Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum
- 28. New Miele Dynamic U1 Cat and Dog Upright Vacuum
- 29. Dyson DC39 Animal Canister Vacuum
- Best Vacuum for Pet Hair Buying Guide
The Pet Hair Problem
A cat has 60,000 strands of hair per square inch on its back, and 120,000 strands per square inch on its belly. What’s more interesting is that it sheds each strand at least twice or thrice a year. If a cat has 227 square inches of hair, you can expect to clean up slightly over 27.24 million strands annually. That’s about 75,000 strands daily per cat.
Dogs, on the other hand, have about 15,000 strands of hair per square inch. If a small dog has 144 square inches, you can expect it to shed about 2.16 million strands of hair at least twice a year. Cleaning up that much hair is no walk in the park, and that is why you should get the best vacuum for pet hair.
So, What Makes a Vacuum the Best for Pet Hair?
First, you should get a silent vacuum if your pets get anxious or scared easily. The best are canister vacuums, handheld, or robots. Furthermore, you should invest in a high-quality machine. High-quality does not mean pricey, but an appliance that can pick pet hair with ease.
Additionally, a good vacuum for pet hair should be bagged so as not to release the dirt back into the house. They should also be completely sealed and use HEPA filtration to trap all allergens. The latter is crucial for allergic persons.
Finally, our furry friends shed often, and thus you will be vacuuming regularly. Therefore, a good vacuum should be light and maneuverable.
Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
Knowing the best vacuum for pet hair is not enough. You also have to know where to get the units. Below are some of the best shops where to purchase any of the appliances below.
If this does not tickle your fancy, or you are a hands-on person, you can search any of the terms below. A quick “best pet hair vacuum cleaner shop near me” search will result in a list of top shops in your area. You can also customize by inserting the name of your locale in the keyword; e.g., “Pet hair vacuum cleaner near me”.
Finally, you can ask that friend who has a kick-ass pet hair vacuum where she got it.
Moving on, here are the best vacuums for pet hair. It is a long review, so sit tight.
Best Vacuum for Pet Hair Comparisson Table 2019
The differences in the vacuums below can only be visible when compared side to side. Here is a comparison table of the best vacuum for pet hair for 2019 to save you time and I believe it is easier to consume.
|Name||Weight in pounds||Dimensions in inches||Power Source||Cord Length/ Runtime||Bagged/Bagless||Warranty|
|Shark APEX Upright Vacuum AZ1002 - Best Overall||16||12 X 11.2 X 46||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Shark NV752 Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet - Best for consistent results on all floor types||15.6||13.2 X 11.9 X 45||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Dyson Animal 2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Vacuum with the highest suction||17.35||15.3 X 13.4 X42.1||Corded||35-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Bissell 20431 Powerglide Lift Off Pet Plus Upright Bagless Vacuum - Best for Edge-cleaning||18||12.5 X 12.5 X 45||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|New Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Best pet hair canister vacuum||12||19.5 X 11.2 X 8.9||Corded||18-ft||Bagged||7-yr limited|
|Shark Rocket DuoClean HV382 Ultra-Light hand vacuum - Best stick vacuum for pet hair||9.9||10.2 X 9.8 X 46.4||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner||6.68||9.8 X 10.3 X 56||Cordless||70-minutes||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A Upright Vacuum||18||12.4 X 13.546.8||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Shark Rotator Professional Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum - Best value for money||15.5||13.4 X 12.2 X 45.7||Corded||25-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Dirt Devil Razor Pet Bagless Multi Floor Corded Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Budget Pick||12||13 X 11.8 X 31.5||Corded||25-ft||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet - Best for cleaning pet hairs on carpets||15||11.4 X 11.8 X 45.5||Corded||25-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Electrolux EL4335A Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum - Best for super plush carpets||11.6||13 X 11.5 X 20||Corded||21-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best for deep cleaning||19.18||43.3 X 13.4 X 17.2||Corded||35-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Shark Rocket Corded Ultra-Light Hand Vacuum for Carpet - Best handheld vacuum for pet hair||3.7||9.65 X 4.92 X 13.58||corded||15-ft||Bagless||1-yr limited|
|Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Canister Vacuum||17.64||13.7 X 15.7 X 12.1||Corded||21-ft||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away XL Capacity with Canister Caddy||17.04||11.9 X 10.6 X 47.3||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|Hoover Power Drive Pet Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner||16||11.5 X 12.8 X 45||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx Bagless Corded Cyclonic Lightweight Stick Vacuum||8||10.6 X 8 X 25||Corded||20-ft||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Dyson V6 Animal Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner||5||9.8 X 8.7 X 46.4||Cordless||20-minutes||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Bissell 1646 PowerGlide Pet Vacuum||16.3||11 X 12.5 X 45.5||Corded||27-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
|iRobot Roomba 980 Wi-Fi Connected Vacuuming Robot - Best robot vacuum for pet hair||8.7||13.9 X 13.9 X 3.6||Cordless||120-minutes||Bagless||1-yr limited|
|Bissell Bolt Lithium Ion Pet Stick Vacuum - Easiest to Store||5.8||6 X 10 X 44||Cordless||25-minutes||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Bissell Powerfresh Pet Steam Mop - Best for sanitizing hard floors||6||9.5 X 13 X 43||Corded||25-ft||Bagless||1-yr limited|
|Bissell Air Ram Cordless Vacuum||7.75||11.8 X 9.9 X 44||Cordless||40-minutes||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|Eureka NEU180B Lightweight Powerful Upright||10||13.4 X 13.8 X 45.5||Corded||25-ft||Bagless||3-yr limited|
|Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Rewind Plus Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum UH70120||16.5||16 X 12 X 32.5||Corded||25-ft||Bagless||2-yr limited|
|BISSELL Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner||17.9||13 X 14 X 44.5||Corded||27-ft||Bagless||3-yr limited|
|New Miele Dynamic U1 Cat and Dog Upright Vacuum||21.4||14.4 X 13.4 X 46.5||Corded||39-ft||Bagged||7-yr limited|
|Dyson DC39 Animal canister vacuum cleaner||16.9||10.2 X 19.5 X 14.2||Corded||21-ft||Bagless||5-yr limited|
Best Vacuum for Pet Hair for 2019: Reviewed and Rated
The comparison guide should have given you a feel of what to expect, but now we are getting into in-depth reviews of the various devices.
1. Shark Apex Upright Vacuum AZ1002
Topping our list of the best vacuum for pet hair is the Shark Apex AZ1002. It is also the best Shark vacuum for pet hair. Three things make this unit ideal for our furry friends.
First, there is the noise reduction technology. Seeing as pets are easily startled by loud vacuums, the lower noise levels provide a conducive environment for your pets. However, that is not enough, but we also have the duoclean head and especially the soft-roller. The soft roller will pick up hair on hard surfaces, and rolls over hair instead of snowplowing it.
We also have the agitating brush which will pick up pet hair on carpets and the zero-m tech which ensures nothing collects on the brushroll. The teeth will shred all pet hair ascertaining; it ends up on the trash can.
Finally, the vacuum is sealed and has a HEPA filter trapping all allergens.
- It has a heat control thermostat to prevent damage should it overheat.
- It has LED lights to light up dark areas.
- It has active glide tech so it self-propels.
- The lift-away design allows for more comfortable usage.
- The wand is quite resistant and will fight you when cleaning above floor areas.
2. Shark NV752 Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
(Best for consistent results on all floor types)
Following on our list of the best vacuums for pet hair is another Shark; the Shark NV752. This ranks this high thanks to its performance on all floor types. It cleans well on carpet and hard floors with the hard floor genie. The hard floor genie has strong suction and will suck pet hair. The microfiber pad will pick up any remaining hair.
Another reason why this unit is excellent for pet hair is thanks to the TruePet motorized brush. Being motorized, pet hair will not collect on the brushroll, and it increases the cleaning power.
Another exciting feature is that you can use it in three modes; handheld, canister, and upright increasing the versatility.
- It is versatile, and you can use it for above floor cleaning.
- It is well accessorized.
- It can clean all floors.
- It self-propels.
- It has a HEPA filter and will trap all pollutants and allergens.
- It is bulky and difficult to clean the dustbin.
3. Dyson Animal 2 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
(Vacuum with the highest suction)
If you are okay spending a small fortune on a vacuum to get rid of pet hair, then I recommend you get the Dyson Animal 2. It has strong suction and happens to be easy to use.
Three features make this unit ideal for cleaning pet hair. First, there is the tangle free tool; with this, you can pick dirt on any surface with ease, and without any pet hair collecting on the cleaner.
Another feature that makes this device stand out is the active base plate. Unlike our previous unit, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 will adjust itself automatically with the active base plate.
The base plate rises when on carpets and falls on hard floors reducing the suction lost. Thus picking pet hair will be a walk in the park. Finally, it is sealed and has a HEPA filter trapping all allergens and pet hairs.
- It has a strong suction.
- It self-adjusts to the depth of your cleaning.
- It is easy to maneuver thanks to the ball technology.
- The tools click into place resulting in a better connection.
- It is a pricey unit and happens to be bulky.
4. Bissell 20431 Powerglide Lift-Off Pet Plus Upright Bagless Vacuum
(Best for Edge-cleaning)
The Bissell 20431 was designed in response to the Shark NV752 Rotator, and it is a top contender as the best vacuum for pet hair. First, it had dual-edge brushes and thus exceptional for cleaning near walls and obstacles.
However, the reason why this ranks so high among the best vacuums for pet hair is because of its carpet performance and turbo tool. The turbo tool using rubber flaps instead of bristles and thus reduces the likelihood of pet hair collecting and subsequently clogging it. As for the cleaning head, it incorporates triple action tech that allows you to clean thoroughly, especially pet hair.
Another terrific feature is the handle. It does up and down, making it easier to store in Small closets. Similar to most Sharks, it has the lift-off technology that allows for above floor cleaning. You can clean stairs, drapes, and upholstery.
- It has specialized pet tools that remove pet hair.
- The on and off brush allow you to clean various surfaces.
- It has a pet odor eliminator that gets rid of pet odor.
- The SmartSeal system traps all allergens.
- The bin is limiting; you cannot tap to remove stuck on dirt as the bottom will come off spilling dirt everywhere.
5. New Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner
(Best pet hair canister vacuum)
I believe the New Miele should be among the top 3 units best for pet hair, but it is obscenely pricey; thus, I had to rank it lower. However, it has some pretty nifty features that make it one of the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
First, it happens to be quiet. Thus it will not startle your furry friends. Next, it uses sonic vibrating technology to loosen stuck on dirt and pet hair, so it is easy to pick up. Moreover, it has an active charcoal filter that helps get rid of any pet odors. If you are allergic, you can replace that with a HEPA vacuum.
Finally, it has diaper thick bags that auto-seal when you remove them from the unit. The bags will ensure all the dirt remains inside during disposal.
- The height is customizable.
- It has a soft bumper all around and thus will not damage your furniture.
- It has a long self-retracting cord.
- It lies completely, and you can clean under the bed and furniture.
- It is pricey.
6. Shark Rocket DuoClean HV382 Ultra-Light with Hand Vacuum
(Best stick vacuum for pet hair)
Stick vacuums have been such a hit thanks to the lightweight design. They are easy to maneuver and great for quick pickups. The Shark HV382 is one of the best stick vacuums and especially for pet hair.
The Shark HV382 is ideal for cleaning pet hair thanks to the DuoClean tech and the pet multi-tool. The DuoClean head will agitate and get rid of hair on carpets while the soft roller head will engage pet hair on hard floors.
The next most remarkable thing is the pet multi-tool. You can convert this appliance into a handheld and attach this accessory. You can then proceed to clean the upholstery and stairs. Some other terrific features include the LED lights that allow you to spot pet hair and the mount storage for simpler storage.
- It is robust and will pull deeply embedded pet hairs.
- It is light, and you can work for long hours with ease.
- It is compact and thus easy to store.
- It works as a stick, a handheld and as an extended wand.
- Well, it is not as durable as the top units in this guide. A few hits and falls and it will break.
7. Dyson V11 Animal Vacuum Cleaner
Coming off the back of the New Miele C3, the Dyson V11 does not seem to be that expensive. However, it is still a pricey unit, given that this is a stick vacuum. Several things enable this unit to rank this high.
First, there is the HEPA filter that traps all pet hair and dust ensuring the air in your home is ever clean. Second, there is the cyclone technology that flings all the hair into the bin, a high-torque head, and a pet-motorized brush for collecting hair on carpets and upholstery.
The animal is also more versatile as it has a 60-minute runtime, but it will last longer thanks to the trigger power design. In short, power will only be used when working. It is also well accessorized, and you can use the wand to reach high spots.
- Thanks to the Dynamic Load System, you can move from carpets to hard floors with ease.
- It is robust and will make short work of pet hair.
- It is light and easier to use.
- It has a no mess disposal system.
- It is pricey and has a long charge time.
8. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A Upright Vacuum
Next on this list of best vacuums for pet hair is the Bissell 1650A. Bissell has carved a niche for good quality vacuums at a friendly price, and the 1650A is a testament to this.
First, the unit is excellent at edge cleaning, and you need not worry about pet hairs near the walls or chairs. It has a tangle-free brushroll, and thus you can clean without worrying about removing the pet hair. Moreover, all the accessories are specialized for pet cleaning. Finally, I have a large easy to empty bin.
- It has a long hose and thus easy to clean high areas and stairs.
- It deep cleans with a lot of ease.
- You can shut-off the brushroll to clean hard floors.
- It is bulky.
- The belt is on the brushroll and thus has a huge blind spot.
- It does not have HEPA filters.
- The air flow is below average.
9. Shark Rotator Professional NV501 Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum
(Best value for money)
The Shark NV501 happens to be the best value for money when on the hunt for the best vacuums for pet hair. Two features make it stand out, and these are the HEPA filter, and the premium pet power brush.
With the pet power brush, you don’t have to keep your furry friends away as it can eliminate all hairs on curtains and upholstery. Moreover, the entire unit is sealed and has a HEPA filter making it ideal for allergic persons.
Other features I believe you will find exciting include the lift-away design that transforms the upright into a canister vacuum. Moreover, it has LED lights that will illuminate those dark spots. The hard floor tool has a high suction to pick up debris, and you can use the wand which doubles as the handle to clean tough to reach spots.
- It is moderately quiet.
- It has a helpful filter, and thus the air in your house will ever be clean.
- It is easy to clean.
- It is easy to maintain, as there are no consumables.
- Pet hair collects on the roller brush rather quickly.
10. Dirt Devil Razor Pet Bagless Multi-Floor Corded UD70355B Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Pet hairs are a pain, and some of the best vacuums for pet hair are pricey. Having realized that, Dirt Devil set out to make a vacuum that will make short work of pet hair but at a pocket-friendly price. Those efforts would culminate in the Dirt Devil UD70355B.
The spin4pro brushroll will pick-up pet hair on carpets, and it also auto adjusts for cleaning different surfaces. When on hard floors, the powerful suction will make picking pet hair a walk in the park. It also has a turboclaw pet turbo tool for cleaning drapes and chairs. Couple the pet tool with the wand and you can get rid of pet hair from virtually anywhere; especially stairs.
Finally, it has an odor trapping filter to keep the air in your house fresh.
- It is lightweight, and you can carry it up and down stairs effortlessly.
- It swivels and thus easy to use.
- It has powerful suction and thus ideal for.
- It lacks real HEPA filters and not suitable for allergic users.
(Best for cleaning pet hairs on carpets)
The Shark NV42 shines on rugs than it does on hard floors. It is, without a doubt, one of the best Shark vacuums for pet hairs. The brushroll will get the deeply embedded pet hair in the carpets while the suction will pick other dirt and debris.
The pet hair power tool helps clean pet hair from most surfaces such as couches and drapes. As for cleaning hard floors, the performance is pretty decent thanks to the strong suction. You can also shut off the brushroll on hard floors to keep it from scattering pet hairs and other debris. The unit has other exciting features such as the ergonomic handle that increases comfort.
Finally, it has a 25-foot power cord reducing the number of times you have to change outlets while cleaning as well as a lengthy warranty.
- It is affordable.
- It performs well on carpets.
- It is comfortable to use.
- Though it is completely sealed, it does not have HEPA filtration.
- The strong suction makes it challenging to move on carpets.
- You need to clean the filters frequently.
12. Electrolux EL4335A Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum
(Best for super plush carpets)
Plush carpets can be a pain to clean. Pushing the vacuum will be a tough task, and suction makes it harder to get through. However, the Electrolux EL4335A is tremendous and makes quick work of pet hairs on these carpets.
First, the unit has a motorized brushroll that will collect all the pet hair. However, the most astounding feature is that the brushroll is self-cleaning. It will get rid of any pet hairs that have collected at the push of a button.
As for ease of use, the Electrolux turns corners on a dime. You can clean around and under furniture with ease. It also happens to be super quiet, and it will not scare your pets. Finally, it has a sealed filtration system and includes HEPA filtration.
- The suction power is adjustable, and thus you can clean drapes as well as hard floors.
- It has a lengthy warranty (5-years).
- It has a long reach.
- The power cord is a bit limiting.
- It is heavy for a canister vacuum.
- It has a small bin.
13. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Upright Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for deep cleaning)
Living up to its name, the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal, is big in size, big in features, big in cleaning power and big in cleaning up animal messes, especially pet hair. First, the beater brush is perfect for getting rid of deeply embedded pet hairs. Yes, it will take some time, but there will not be a single strand of hair left once you are done cleaning.
The contra-rotating brush tool is also suitable for cleaning pet hair. The tool has two brushes that contra-rotate ensuring no pet hair collects on the tool. It also scrubs the stairs and floor well. If you are concerned about cleaning pet hairs on stairs, you need not worry as this appliance has a long reach.
Finally, it has an upholstery tool to eliminate hairs on drapes and seats.
- It has no filters, so it is easier and cheaper to maintain.
- It is powerful.
- It is well accessorized.
- The entire machine is HEPA sealed.
- The cleaner head is self-adjusting to clean carpets and hard floors.
- It is pricey and a bit on the bulky side.
14. Shark Rocket Corded Ultra-Light HV292 Handheld Vacuum
(Best handheld vacuum for pet hair)
There are instances where you are looking for an appliance to clean pet hair off the upholstery and the car. The Shark HV292 is the best for such tasks.
First, the device is light and weighs less than half a gallon of milk. Moreover, it has enough tools for various tasks. The motorized pet tool is the best for cleaning pet hair off any surface. The pet tool uses a motor and the suction power and thus eliminates the most stuck on dirt. You can also use it for quick cleanups on carpets and under appliances.
My best feature on the motorized tool is that it articulates cleaning those tight spots. The appliance also includes a crevice tool for those tight spots and a dusting brush.
- It is lightweight, and you can use it for tight spaces.
- It is powerful.
- It has an extension for those high spots.
- It does not lose suction even when the bin is full.
- It is affordable.
- The cord is only 15-ft long and thus limiting
15. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Canister Vacuum
If you are comfortable paying a small fortune, then you can get the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball canister vacuum. You will appreciate the self-righting feature, and you never have to worry about it being toppled.
But what makes it ideal for pet hair?
First, there is the tangle-free motorized brush by Dyson. This gets rid of dirt with ease, and you need not worry about cleaning the pet tool. Another fascinating feature has to be the adjusting cleaner head. Thanks to the active base, you can move from carpets to hard floors with ease. The active base ensures no suction is lost, and thus you can pick up pet hairs with ease.
It has a HEPA filter that ensures the air in your house is ever clean. The Cinetic technology eliminates the need for filters while increasing the suction, which is why you should get this unit for pet hair.
- It is a durable unit, and you can be certain it will serve you for long.
- It has a retractable cord.
- It has a telescoping wand, and thus you can reach high places.
- It is pricey.
16. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away XL Capacity NV755 with Canister Caddy
The Shark NV755 is a complete vacuum for cleaning pet hair. First, the cleaning head has a brushroll that will pick up hairs on carpets. You can also turn off the brushroll and rely on suction to pick up pet hairs on hard floors.
Some other features that make this unit ideal for pet hair are the attachments. The TruePet mini-motorized tool relies on suction power and motor power to get rid of pet hair. It is one tool that will come in handy when cleaning the stairs. The pet upholstery tool, on the other hand, is ideal for capturing fur on your upholstery.
The HV755 also has an anti-allergen HEPA filter that ensures the air in your home is ever clean. It also happens to be a 3-in-1 unit, and I especially loved the lift-away design as it allows you to clean with ease.
- With the lift-away design, you can clean deep under furniture.
- The LED lights illuminate dimly lit areas.
- It is easy to control owing to the fingertip controls.
- It has swivel-steering and thus gets around furniture effortlessly.
- Pet hairs collect on the rotating brushes and are a bit tough to remove.
17. Hoover Power Drive Pet Bagless Multi-Floor UH74210PC Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Hoover has carved a niche by providing quality vacuums but at a low cost. The Hoover UH74210PC is no exception, and it is one tool I believe you will love. First, you get a sealed system and a carbon HEPA post motor filter, ensuring the air in your home is clean.
Other features that make this ideal for cleaning pet hair include the anti-hair wrap brushroll that ensures no pet hair collects and the pet turbo tool for cleaning pet hairs off of your upholstery. You will also appreciate the strong suction as it collects all dirt and fur off your hard floors.
The Hoover UH74210PC has some other terrific features, including LED lights to illuminate those dimly lit areas. It also has a long reach of about 13-ft plus a long 30-ft power cord. Finally, it has swivel steering and thus turns on a dime.
- You can adjust suction, allowing you to clean surfaces such as drapes.
- It has soft wheels for working on hard floors.
- It has a bumper scuff guard to protect your furniture.
- It is affordable.
- It is on the heavy side.
- Edge cleaning is below average.
- It breaks down rather quickly.
18. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx Bagless Corded Cyclonic SH20030 Lightweight Stick Vacuum
If you are looking for a vacuum specifically for floors, then get the Hoover SH20030. This is a corded stick vacuum; thus, it is easy to use. Yes, it has a small bin, but it is easy to detach, empty, then reattach. But what makes this appliance perfect for pet hair?
First, it has a powered brushroll, and thus it will collect hair from carpets and rugs. Moreover, you can shut off the brushroll, and rely on suction to clean your hard floors. The vacuums suction is powerful thanks to the wind tunnel and multi-cyclones, and it will make short work of pet hair and other debris.
The machine also has non-marring wheels, and you can be confident that your delicate surfaces will be in top condition. Finally, it swivels increasing maneuverability.
- It has an extreme recline handle, so cleaning deep under furniture will be easy.
- It has edge cleaning bristles.
- It has a wide mouth for hairballs and other large debris.
- It is affordable and lightweight.
- The Hoover SH20030 is only ideal for floor cleaning as it does not have the accessories for above floor cleaning.
19. Dyson V6 Cordless Animal Vacuum Cleaner
Next on our list of the best vacuums for pet hair 2019 is the Dyson V6. This was the first cordless vacuum by Dyson, and though improvements have been made, it still holds its own against other upright vacuums.
First, the Dyson V6 animal has 75% more power than the Dyson V6. The extra power comes in handy when cleaning stuck on pet hair. Other than the power, it has a motorized cleaning head that will eliminate pet hair on carpets. As for upholstery, there is the motorized pet brush that you can use. The pet tool articulates, allowing you to clean on the curves and other tight spots without losing suction.
The Dyson V6 has a 20-minute runtime which is enough to clean a small to medium sized home. It also includes a dusting brush for curtains and other delicate surfaces.
- It is lightweight and well balanced thus easy to use.
- Changing accessories is a walk in the park.
- It vacuums edges effortlessly.
- It is easy to store with the wall mount.
- It has strong suction.
- It is pricey, and you will be getting a short 2-yr warranty.
- The runtime is not enough to clean large houses.
20. Bissell 1646 PowerGlide Pet Vacuum
One area where Bissell blows the competition out of the water is in edge cleaning. The company’s vacuums excel at this, and the Bissell 1646 is no exception. If you are on the hunt for a unit to clean pet hairs near furniture and walls, this is perfect for you.
Next, the suction has been moved to the center of the cleaner head, which also includes distribution channels ensuring that the suction is even. That will come in handy when cleaning hard floors.
As for cleaning pet hairs off upholstery, the Bissell 1646 includes a pet tool which will make short work of all pet hair. Finally, there is a pet odor eliminator that will leave your vacuums and houses clean. As for aesthetics, it has a futuristic appeal.
- It has an extendable hose that allows you to clean stairs and other tough to reach spaces.
- It has a crevice tool for cleaning tight spots.
- It is affordable.
- The tool connection is pretty lackluster.
- It has a snowplowing effect.
- It has a small dustbin.
21. iRobot Roomba 980 Wi-Fi Connected Vacuuming Robot
(Best robot vacuum for pet hair)
If you are on the hunt for a robot vacuum that can clean pet hair on different surfaces, I think you will be happy with the Rhoomba 980. It is a meticulous little helper that keeps your house spot-free.
Thanks to the aeroforce system, it cleans carpets and hard floors with ease. Moreover, transitioning from one surface to the next is a walk in the park as it is automatic and will incorporate the carpet boost when on carpets.
I also think you will be happy with this unit thanks to the peripheral spinning brushes that bring pet hair into the vacuums cleaning path. You can download the iRobot app for more functionalities. You can even track where the vacuum is and control it with Alexa and Google Assistant.
Finally, it works with the VSLAM algorithm that tracks and maps your house.
- It has a small profile and will get into tight spots.
- It detects different surfaces and adjusts accordingly.
- It is quiet and will not startle your pets.
- It has indicators for the dust bin and current mode.
- It does not work in complete darkness.
- It has a small trash can which is difficult to empty.
- It is round, and cleaning corners will be tough.
22. Bissell Bolt Lithium Ion Pet Stick Vacuum
(Easiest to Store)
First, let’s get the main Bissell features out of the way. Similar to other Bissell vacuums, this unit is affordable and excels at edge cleaning. However, it happens to be a complete pet hair vacuum cleaner.
First, it has a special cleaner head that will pick hair on hard floors and carpets. It is rubberized for picking pet hair on hard floors, and the bristles work well on carpets. The pet hair nozzle tool happens to be ideal for working on upholstery. It lifts all embedded hair and dander. Finally, you can scoop and sweep to eliminate large debris or any leftover dirt.
The Bissell Bolt also happens to be a meticulous tool, and the folding handle allows you to get under furniture and beds.
- It is light and easy to use.
- It is versatile as you can clean different surfaces.
- It folds and thus easy to store.
- It has a decent runtime of about 25-minutes.
- The runtime makes this only ideal for small to medium-sized houses.
23. Bissell PowerFresh Pet Steam Mop
(Best for sanitizing hard floors)
There are instances where vacuuming is not enough, and mopping is required. Say you have tough messes that a standard vacuum cannot clean, or you are looking to sanitize your floors. I recommend you get the Bissell Pet Steam Mop.
First, the unit relies on steam, and thus, it is environmentally friendly. It is easy to use, and the water will be ready in 30 seconds. With its microfiber cleaning pad, you can be confident that it will trap all pet hairs instead of snowplowing. Moreover, it has a scrubber that helps eliminate those tough messes.
This appliance is pet-friendly, and you can rest easy as you are not using harmful chemicals. Moreover, it helps improve the scent in your house with the odor-eliminating discs.
Finally, it is affordable, and the results are immaculate.
- It is pet-friendly. It is quiet and uses no chemicals.
- It is light, and you can clean for longer without fatigue.
- The steam design gets rid of the toughest messes.
- The microfiber pad gets all pet hairs including.
- It only works on hard floors, and you have to get a secondary vacuum for upholstery and carpets.
24. Bissell Air Ram 1984 Cordless Vacuum
The Bissell 1984 makes it onto this list of the best vacuums for pet hair thanks to its sealing system. The unit seals itself to any surface preventing loss of suction. The suction is them used to collect pet hair and comes in handy on pet floors. On carpets, you will appreciate the bristle brush as they will eliminate deeply embedded pet hair.
Another interesting feature of the Air Ram 1984 is the telescopic handle. The handle extends for ease of use and collapses for simple storage. The LED lights will illuminate all dimly lit areas, and the swivel steering makes this easy to maneuver. Finally, the extreme recline and the low-profile ensures you can clean deep under furniture and beds. By and large, it is a remarkable vacuum cleaner.
- It has an easy to empty bin.
- The edge cleaning is phenomenal.
- It is easy to use and store thanks to the compact design.
- It has soft wheels to protect your floors.
- It has a small bin.
- It is only suitable for floor cleaning.
25. Eureka NEU180B Lightweight Powerful Upright
Compared to Dyson, Shark, and even Oreck, this Eureka is a pretty appealing unit. Well, comparing the price. It is a fraction of the cost of the other units making it one of the best vacuums for pet hair for people on a tight budget.
What makes this unit stand out is the powerful cleaning head. It picks up hair, embedded or not, and the cyclonic technology increases the power of the appliance. Moreover, the cyclonic tech makes sure the filter does not clog, thus maintaining the same level of performance.
You can adjust the brush to 5-height levels allowing you to work on plush and low-pile carpets. It allows you to deep clean and adjust the height for quick cleaning. The cleaning nozzle is wide, and you need not worry about large areas as you will be done in a few passes.
- It has a long crevice tool for tight spots.
- It is light despite it being an upright vacuum.
- The filter is washable.
- It is easy to maintain as the cost of consumables is low.
- It does not have a HEPA filter, and the accessories are lackluster.
26. Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Rewind Plus Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum UH70210
This Hoover hits many marks of what you should look for in a vacuum;, especially as a daily driver. With its height adjustment, it can clean different surfaces effortlessly. You can also turn the brushroll off for cleaning hard floors. The powerful suction will make short work of pet hairs on these hard surfaces.
The scuff bumper protects your furniture and walls while the cord rewind is a nice touch as you would not expect this on a budget vacuum. The headlights are also a nice touch, and though most of us don’t vacuum in the dark, it will come in handy when cleaning corners and other dark spots.
The handle can be folded, so it is easy to store and carry. Finally, other than the cleaning head, the unit also has an air powered tool for cleaning pet hair.
- It is affordable
- It does not scratch hard floors.
- It has great suction.
- Tools are pretty decent on upholstery.
- It is too high-profile to fit under furniture.
- It is only a decent unit, and the performance is below that of our top vacuums.
27. Bissell Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum
Next on our list of the best vacuums for pet hair is the Bissell 2252. This unit is similar to most Bissell vacuums in that it has superb edge cleaning. Moreover, it is a complete vacuum for pet hair.
First, it has a triple action brushroll that picks up deeply embedded pet hair. The cleaning brush is also designed in a way that it will not scatter dirt and thus again perfect for picking pet hair on hard floors. It also retails with a complete set of pet hair tools. The Pet hair corner tool allows you to get into tight spots while the pet tool is ideal for upholstery.
The 13.5-inch cleaning path allows you to cover large areas in a few passes while the swivel steering ensures you can clean around furniture and other obstacles effortlessly.
- It has a wide cleaning path.
- The filter is washable, reducing the cost of consumables.
- Has an extension wand that allows you to reach high spots.
- It is reasonably priced.
- You can store the tools on the unit.
- It is bulky, and it can be difficult to carry around.
28. New Miele Dynamic U1 Cat and Dog Upright Vacuum
You cannot make a mistake with Miele vacuums, and the Dynamic U1 is a great unit. First, it is pricey and only perfect for people on a generous budget. However, it is a quality tool, and that justifies the price.
First, the unit can clean both hard floors and carpets thanks to its two motor systems. One motor drives the suction while the other drives the brush. The suction picks pet hair on hard floors, while the brush is for rags.
It has 4-suction settings which you can adjust with a rotator dial for any surface you want to clean. The lowest is for drapes while the highest is for hard floors. There is also the swivel-neck tech which enables you to get around furniture and other obstacles with ease.
Finally, it has accessories to pick pet hair and a filter that neutralizes pet odor.
- It is quiet.
- It lies flat to clean under furniture.
- It has LED lights.
- Both motors are under the swivel neck, reducing strain.
- It has a HEPA filter.
- It is pricey.
29. Dyson DC39 Animal Canister Vacuum
The Dyson DC39 is a bit of an old unit, so don’t expect much from it. It relies on a suction brush, and that happens to be one of its interesting points. The brush can be turned on and off, despite being a suction brush. This allows you to clean hard floors and carpets.
It is a powerful unit with 275 air watts of air suction. Thus, picking pet hair will be a walk in the park. Moreover, it has enough tools, but one stood out for me; the turbine tool. This nifty device allows you to clean pet hair off your upholstery with ease.
Another interesting feature of this device is the tool caddy. It latches onto the wand. You can store the tools easily reducing the likelihood of losing them. It has sufficient reach and includes an auto-retractable cord.
- It is affordable to maintain as you don’t have to purchase consumables.
- It is maneuverable.
- It is easy to store thanks to the auto retract cord.
- It is powerful.
- It struggles with large debris and will not collect pet hairballs.
- It is bulky.
Best Vacuum for Pet Hair Buying Guide
While most vacuums retail with at least one tool for pet hair, a pet hair specific appliance retails with a slew of features that help you combat pet hair messes. As a consumer, you will find yourself with a myriad of different options, but this buying guide should help you come to a decision quickly.
1. Pet Hair Tool
If your canine friends or cats are heavy shedders, ensure you only invest in a device that has a pet hair tool. A pet hair tool is the bread and butter of the vacuum as it allows you to clean more surfaces. You will rid your drapes pillows and other upholstery off of pet hair and leave them looking brand new. They are useful in areas where powerheads cannot reach.
2. Anti-Tangle Technology
Though this tech is available on few vacuums, I would recommend you purchase appliances that incorporate it as it will save you the trouble of having to clean your brushroll. Some few units to consider are Dyson vacuums with the tangle-free turbine, and our top pick, the Shark Apex upright vacuum.
3. Sealed Vacuums
At the beginning of this best vacuums for pet hair article, I said you should invest in a vacuum with HEPA filters, well that will all be to naught if the appliance is not sealed. Allergens and other pollutants will escape from other parts of your device contaminating the air in your house. Therefore, only invest in an appliance that is sealed to maintain quality air in your home.
Finally, you should have an idea of what you are looking for. If you are on the hunt for a powerful but affordable vacuum for pet hair, then invest in an upright. However, they happen to be difficult to use compared to other units.
For ease of use, I suggest canister vacuums, especially the New Miele Cat and Dog. These will swivel, they are sealed, and they are light. They are also powerful and will make short work of pet hair.
However, most have short cords and are bagged, so you have to invest in consumables.
If you are on the hunt for an appliance that you can use for quick pet hair cleanups, then get a stick vacuum. And for hands-free operation, get robot vacuums.
Before I call it a day, allow me to answer some FAQs about vacuums for pet hair. Here I address some of your concerns from the best robot for pet hair, to the best vacuums for hardwood floors and pet hair.
Though you are looking for the best vacuum for pet hair, do not forget that the vacuum should pick other debris with ease too. The Shark AZ1002 will do that as will the rest of the vacuums. Stick to your budget and only purchase a vacuum you are comfortable using.
You can use the map to find an ideal vacuum shop near you, as well as our buying guide. Thanks for reading this far, and I welcome you to leave your thoughts in the comments below.