Here is the deal; we all love our dogs, but there are instances where we love to hate them. One such example is when they are molting, as dealing with that hair is just a pain in the back. It is even worse when working with a vacuum that cannot handle the fur.
However, if you have these furry roomies, having a vacuum that can pick up the fur is a must if you want to keep your house clean. You are also in luck as I have done the heavy lifting for you and created a list of the best vacuums for dog hair.
Why a Get a Vacuum Cleaner for Dog Hair?
Simple, to deal with the hair problem. Dogs have about 15,000 strands of hair per square inch. That is a lot considering the average human has about 2,200 strands of hair per square inch. Moreover, dogs molt about twice a year, and it will be most likely in the house. You are housemates after all.
This presents a problem for every dog owner. The average vacuum cannot pick up dog hair, and you cannot kick your pet out. In comes the best vacuum for dog hair; though manufacturers do not make these devices specifically for dog hair, they incorporate some features that make cleaning dog hair a walk in the park.
Dog Hair Vacuum Cleaner Shop Near Me
You might not have the time to read this entire review —it is long after all — but allow me to make it easy for you. Here is a map of the best shops for dog hair vacuum cleaner shops near you, and immediately after is a table of the best units currently in the market (more on that shortly).
If you want more information on the best dog hair vacuum cleaner shops near you, you can consult a friend or family. Ask that neighbor with the kickass Shark Apex AZ1002 where s/he got it. You can even consult your local cleaners. I am sure they are willing to help, and they will direct you to the best dog hair vacuum cleaner shops in your locale.
If you prefer online, here are two search terms to use.
- Vacuum cleaner shops near me
- Dog hair vacuum cleaner shops in my location
Best Vacuum Cleaners for Dog Hair Comparison Table 2019
Here is a quick comparison table of the best vacuum for dog hair. Hope you get a feel of what to expect and it should be enough to help you make a decision if you are in a hurry.
|Name||Type||Weight in pounds||Power||Cord Length/ Runtime||Bagged/ Bagless||Warranty|
|Shark Apex AZ1002 Upright Vacuum - Best Overall||Upright||16||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5|
|Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright Vacuum - Best for hard floors||Upright||17.5||Corded||35-ft||Bagless||5|
|Shark Rotator NV752 Powered Lift-Away TruePet - Best for carpets||Upright||16.7||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||7|
|Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A Upright Vacuum - Best for pet odors||Upright||18||Corded||30-ft||Bagless||5|
|Bissell Cleanview Swivel Rewind Pet Upright Vacuum - Best for edge cleaning||Upright||15.5||Corded||27-ft||Bagless||4|
|New Miele C3 Cat and Dog Canister Vacuum - Best canister vacuum for dog hair||Canister||12||Corded||23-ft||Bagged||7|
|Electrolux UltraFlex EL4335A Canister Vacuum - Best vacuum for dog hair on super plush carpets||Canister||11.68||Corded||21-ft||Bagless||5|
|Ovente ST2010 Bagless Canister Vacuum - Budget Pick||Canister||12||Corded||15-ft||Bagless||1|
|Kenmore 81614 Friendly Lightweight Bagged Canister Vacuum - Best value for money||Canister||22.6||Corded||28-ft||Bagged||1|
|Tineco A11 Master Cordless Vacuum - Best cordless vacuum for dog hair||Stick||2.68||Cordless||60-min||Bagless||2|
|Bissell Bolt Pet Lithium Iron Stick Vacuum - Easiest to store||Stick||5.8||Cordless||25-min||Bagless||2|
|Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal - Best high-end stick vacuum for dog hair||Stick||5.86||Cordless||60-min||Bagless||2|
|Shark DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light IF201 - Editors Pick||Stick||8.7||Cordless||30-min||Bagless||5|
|Shark HV292 Rocket Corded Hand Vac - Best handheld vacuum for dog hair||Handheld||3.7||Corded||15-ft||Bagless||1|
|Bissell 19851 Multi Auto Lightweight Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum - Best handheld vacuum for dog hair in dark places||Handheld||3.9||Cordless||15-min||Bagless||2|
15 Best Vacuum Cleaners for Dog Hair 2019: Reviewed and Rated
It is about time we got into the meat of this piece. There is a little bit of everything for everyone. You will find the best stick vacuum for dog hair, the best upright, and the best canister. Also, be sure to leave a comment below if you feel there is something I missed.
Let’s get started.
1. Shark Apex AZ1002 Upright Vacuum
Shark has been making vacuums for slightly over 23 years, and boy aren’t their machines exemplary. They are better than the average bear — or vacuum in this case — and are up there with Dyson vacuums, and we all know Dyson is the Apple of appliances.
The Shark Apex AZ1002 is a work of art, and it is my best vacuum for dog hair. It has 2 features that make it exceptional when it comes to cleaning dog hair; the DuoClean head and the Zero-M tech.
The DuoClean head is one of the best innovations in the vacuuming world in recent years. It involves putting both a soft roller brush and an agitating brush in the same cleaner head. Then you can move from carpets to hard floors without changing heads.
The agitating brush picks dog hair off carpets while the rolling brush works on hard floors. The latter is in contact with the floor. Thus you can expect nothing short of stellar work.
Next, there is the Zero-M tech. True to its name — Zero Mess — this feature ensures no mess; that is, no-pet hair collects on the brush roll.
It’s also a pleasant device to use; it turns and converts into a canister vacuum on a dime.
- It has LED lights on the wand and cleaner head, allowing you to work in dark areas.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It is durable.
- Pulling it back is difficult.
2. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright Vacuum
(Best for hard floors)
It was inevitable that a Dyson would make it onto this list. I love the Dyson Animal 2 performance on hard floors, and I recommend it for anyone on the hunt for the best hard floor vacuum for dog hair. The performance on carpet is also stellar.
This vacuum is something of a beast. It has a powerful cleaner head that will get deeply-embedded pet hair off of your carpet. Moreover, it has an active head that allows you to move from carpets to hard floors with ease. The active head is ever in contact with the floor, ensuring that suction is not lost and to pick up pet hair, you need superior suction.
Moreover, it has an anti-tangle pet hair tool for cleaning upholstery. It is an all-round appliance, but it shines most on hard floors.
Here is an unboxing and demo of the Animal 2. Get to see it in use, for a better feel of the unit.
- It has superior suction.
- You can move between different surfaces with ease, thanks to the active base.
- It has an instant release high reach wand to eliminate pet hair off of upholstery.
- It is maneuverable.
- It is pricey.
- It is bulky.
- The housing is flimsy.
- It cannot pick up larger debris on hard floors.
3. Shark Rotator NV752 Powered Lift-Away TruePet
(Best for Carpets)
Using its tough bristles on the cleaner head, the Shark NV752 can get rid of the most unyielding pet hair on carpets. With the carpet settings, you can adjust them to comply with various carpets.
Other than changing the brush speed, you will appreciate that the brush pattern is designed to leave the carpet fluffier and cleaner.
The performance on other surfaces is also exceptional. It is effective on hard floors thanks to its hard floor hero attachment. You will also love the performance on upholstery owing to the True Pet motorized brush. The pet brush has an articulating head that enables you to clean tight spots. This vacuum also retails with a pet multi-tool for delicate surfaces.
Finally, I would not consider it one of the best vacuums for dog hair if it were not easy to use. Well, using it is ABS easy.
- It is powerful.
- The powered lift away allows you to clean high areas.
- Has bright LED lights for illuminating dark areas.
- It is perfect for people with allergies, thanks to the HEPA filter.
- It is bulky.
- The vacuum tips-over when in lift-away mode.
4. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A Upright Vacuum
(Best for Dog Odors)
Do you know what is better than a vacuum that can get rid of dog hair? One that gets eliminates hair and dog odor.
First, the Bissell 1650A has a tangle-free brush roll with edge to edge cleaning. Thanks to the suction feature, you can clean pet hair next to objects and walls, unlike when working with other devices. It also increases the cleaning path allowing you to clean large areas in a few passes.
You will also love the dustbin as it has a pet hair spooling system. The system allows you to separate the dog hair from the other types of dirt. Finally, there is the Febreeze pet odor eliminator. The scented filter eliminates foul odor, which may be a result of vacuuming up damp pet hair.
- It has a SmartSeal system ensuring no pollutants or allergens escape.
- The quick release wand increases versatility.
- It has excellent cleaning power.
- The cleaner head is maneuverable.
- It has an impressive 5-year warranty.
- It is bulky at almost 18-pounds.
- The quick release wand is short.
- Loses suction if not well maintained.
5. Bissell Cleanview Swivel Rewind Pet Upright Vacuum
(Best for edge cleaning)
One shortcoming of most vacuums is that the cleaning paths are often smaller than the cleaner heads. Thus you cannot dog hair close to the walls and furniture. Well, one of the best vacuums for dog hair, the Bissell Cleanview allows you to clean close to the walls.
The unit is also packed with features to ease your cleaning experience. The Triple Action Brush will pick up all dog hair and debris, and every cleaning attempt ends up being a deep clean.
Moreover, it has specialized pet tools. One is the pet air corner tool to get pet hair in tight corners, and the pet turbo eraser tool that allows you to eliminate dog hair from stairs and upholstery.
Some other nice touches include the scatter-free technology and the cord rewind.
- Thanks to the multi-cyclonic tech, no suction is lost.
- It has a large easy to empty bin.
- It works well both on carpets and hard floors.
- It sports the widely sought-after cord rewind.
- The suction power of the hose is low. It makes cleaning above floor areas difficult.
6. New Miele C3 Cat and Dog Canister Vacuum
(Best canister vacuum for dog hair)
The Miele C3 cat and dog is a beast when it comes to cleaning but smooth to operate. It is lightweight and has 360-degree castor wheels that increase the maneuverability. However, how good is it when it comes to cleaning dog hair?
First, it has a 12-stage sealed air system ensuring that no dust escapes from the unit. It is also quiet and friendly to your pets. The charcoal air filter eliminates all odors leaving, and it is generally great for allergic persons.
The SEB 228 Electro Plus Electrobrush has 5-height adjustment settings so you can clean high and low pile carpets. It is sturdy and will get the deeply embedded pet hair. The Parquet Twister brush, on the other hand, makes it easy to clean pet hair off of hard floors.
- It is light.
- It has an auto-rewind cord.
- It is bagged and keeps suction way better than a bagless vacuum
- The bags are diaper thick.
- It is pricey.
- The brush is powered only by suction. Thus, cleaning pet hair from upholstery will be difficult.
7. Electrolux UltraFlex EL4335A Canister Vacuum
(Best vacuum for dog hair on super plush carpets)
Cleaning plush carpets is ever a chore, especially with most units. However, the Electrolux Ultraflex EL4335A makes it ABC easy and is definitely one of the best vacuums for dog hair.
Getting down to the cleaner head, it blows away most of the upright vacuums. It is robust and has a 3-level setting to clean different carpets. It also includes a self-cleaning tech which is available to you at the push of a button. It gets rid of any hair that might have collected on the brush.
The device also includes a hard floor tool that has a larger opening and thus cleaning hairballs and other large debris will be a cake walk. The opening is larger than a quarter. However, what stood out for me was the adjustable suction. Now cleaning drapes, and upholstery will be way less of a chore as you can dial down the suction.
- It has an extended warranty.
- It is easy to store.
- It has large wheels thus simple to maneuver on plush carpets.
- The plastic built feels flimsy.
8. Ovente ST2010 Bagless Canister Vacuum
(Best Budget Pick)
Following on this list of the best vacuum for dog hair, and my budget pick is the Ovente ST2010. It is compact yet powerful, has HEPA filters, a hygienic easy to empty bin, and remarkable suction.
If you are on a tight budget, then get this appliance.
It is not a highly advanced product, but it has enough features to clean pet hair. The primary cleaner head has a brush whose height you can adjust with a foot pedal. It would be better if it had a brushroll, but at this price, it is not that much of a shortcoming.
The vacuum has a HEPA filter which will trap most allergens and pollutants. It also has a full-bin indicator, so you know when you are supposed to empty the bin. Finally, it has an extending wand and retractable power cord.
- It has a motorized pet adjustment for cleaning pet hair.
- It is light.
- Though it is affordable, Ovente has not skimped on the quality.
- It has a washable HEPA filter reducing the cost of consumables.
- The handle is difficult to use.
- It has no onboard storage increasing the possibility of misplacing the attachment tools.
9. Kenmore 81614 Friendly Lightweight Bagged Canister Vacuum
(Best Value for Money)
The Kenmore 81614 has a dual motor system that increases the suction of the device. It can pick up deeply embedded dirt, and as such, it had to be on this guide of the best vacuums for pet hair.
Take a seat and let me regale you with the fancy features of this device.
The thing I believe most dog owners will love if the motorized Pet PowerMate tool. It makes short work of pet hair on any seats and upholstered furniture. However, cleaning carpets will be like a hot knife through butter. The sturdy brush will dig deep into carpets and get deeply embedded pet hair. You can also use the brushroll on carpets, but I recommend the bare floor brush.
Moving on, it has convenience features such as a telescopic wand, automatic retraction, and HEPA filter.
- It is lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- The telescopic wand offers more reach.
- The onboard storage is a nice touch as it reduces the likelihood of losing the tools.
- It is not stable and may flip on its side.
- Some of the materials are flimsy.
10. Tineco A11 Master Cordless Vacuum
(Best cordless vacuum for pet hair)
The Tineco A11 is similar to the Dyson cordless vacuums only that it is affordable. But how does it compare to the pricier Dyson vacuums?
First, it has more attachments than most vacuums. However, I will be focusing on the cleaning heads and the filter cleaner. The standard brush will get dog hair off of your carpets with relative ease while the soft roller brush eliminates dirt off your hard floors. The motorized pet tool, on the other hand, works great on upholstery. It is an articulating head allowing you to get into tight spots.
The filter cleaner happens to be a nice touch as you can eliminate dog hair and other debris off of your filter without having to rinse. Finally, it is easy to use and has a long runtime. It weighs 2.68-pounds thus easy to maneuver and has 2 batteries with a 30-min runtime each.
- It has LED lights to illuminate dark areas.
- It has a long runtime.
- It is well accessorized.
- It is a quiet unit.
- The weight is not well distributed.
11. Bissell Bolt Pet Lithium Iron Stick Vacuum
(Easy to store)
Next on this guide of best vacuums for pet hair is the Bissell Bolt Pet Lithium Ion. It has a foldable handle for more compact storage, but that is not all it is good for. The folding handle also allows you to get under furniture with ease.
The Bolt Lithium Ion is not for deep cleaning carpets, and I do not recommend it for people with high molting dogs. It is for dogs that shed the least. It will do a decent job on carpets and hard floors but do not expect it to be deep clean.
It has a 180-degree swivel head allowing you to get around furniture with ease. It also converts to a handheld device for above floor cleaning, and the edge reach technology allows you to get dog hair close to walls.
- It has sufficient runtime of 25-minutes.
- It has a large dirt cup to hold pet hair.
- It is washable.
- You can turn the brushroll on and off for various tasks.
- It does not have the power to deep clean surfaces.
12. Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal
(Best high-end stick vacuum for dog hair)
The next best vacuum for pet hair is the Dyson Cyclone V10 animal. It is similar to the V10 Absolute, only that it has fewer attachments, though these attachments are for fighting dog hair.
But what makes this unit one of the best for dog hair?
First, the attachments are designed to combat pet hair. The mini-dusting brush is perfect for getting rid of pet hair from delicate surfaces, while the mini-motorized tool is great for cleaning upholstered surfaces.
The cleaning heads are also exceptional against dog hair. The torque drive cleaner head is for deep cleaning carpets and will get the most stubborn of dog hair and dirt. The fluffy head, on the other hand, cleans hard surfaces and picks dog hair with ease.
Other convenience features include the indicator lights that tell you when the filter should be cleaned and when there is a blockage. Finally, it has a long runtime of 60-minutes.
- The battery lasts long, and you can clean up a medium sized house.
- It is powerful.
- The batteries are not removable.
- It is ridiculously priced.
13. Shark DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light IF201
I kid you not when I say that the Shark DuoClean head is one of the best inventions in the vacuum world. As such, this Shark IF201 had to make it on to this list of the best vacuum for pet hair.
This Shark is best for cleaning pet hair on hard floors over carpets. Not that the brushroll is not good but because pulling it back is tasking. The soft-brush roller is in contact with the floor and picks up even the tiniest strands of pet hair. The edge cleaning also happens to be super, which is unlike any other Shark.
The wide upholstery tool will make you happy though it is best you get the motorized pet tool. Moving on to convenience, it has multi-flex tech to fold the handle for storage and to get under furniture.
- It is maneuverable, especially on hard floors.
- It has a long 5-year warranty.
- It has a decent runtime on one battery which you can upgrade by getting a second battery.
- It has strong suction.
- It is the heaviest of the bunch.
- It is difficult to pull back on carpets.
- The dirt cup is small and does not have a HEPA filter.
14. Shark HV292 Rocket Corded Hand Vac
(Best Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair)
Stick vacuums are portable, but they cannot beat handheld vacuums. The Shark HV292 is a small tank and one of the best for cleaning dog hair.
First, the device has a motorized pet tool with an articulating head. This design allows you to clean the upholstery curves which are difficult to clean with other heads. Moreover, it weighs less than 4 pounds meaning you can use it in any tight spot. You can get rid of dog hair in your car, and even your boat.
The pet-motorized tool is also great for stairs. One shortcoming with stick vacuum is you cannot use the cleaner head on stairs, and it is always nice to have a device you can work with effortlessly. As for power, it works with suction and a motor giving it more raw power.
- It is light and easy on your hand.
- It gets into tight spaces.
- It has a flexible hose for a longer reach.
- It maintains the suction even when the bin is full.
- The effectiveness of the filter goes down with every wash.
15. Bissell 19851 Multi Auto Lightweight Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum
(Best handheld vacuum for dog hair in dark places)
The last machine on this list of the best vacuums for dog hair is the Bissell 19851. Also a handheld device it is for above floor cleaning and spot cleaning. If the dog hair messes on the floor are small or concentrated in one area, you can use this appliance instead of hauling a bulky upright.
Before we get into the feature that makes this ideal for dog hair, let us look at some convenience features such as the LED lights. These are handier than you think and will light up dimly lit areas.
It is also a cordless vacuum, and you can carry it around for various tasks.
Moving on to the motorized brush roll, it is powerful and picks up dog hair off your upholstered surfaces, stairs, and any other tight spot where the standard stick or upright cannot get to.
- Compact lightweight, and easy to use.
- The foam filter is washable.
- The LED lights are a nice touch.
- Big piles of dog hair may clog the device.
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Dog Hair Buying Guide
Knowing the best vacuum for dog hair is not enough, and you have to know what to look for when on the hunt for an appliance. Here is a buying guide to help you make an informed decision.
Here’s the deal. I do not know and cannot presume to know the best vacuum for your home. The best vacuum for pet hair will depend on your preferences and cleaning needs. However, I can make it easy for you to pick the right unit.
- Stick Vacuums – If your furry friends are not heavy shedders, it is best you get a stick vacuum. These are easy to work with, easy to store for people with limited space, and they can easily transition from hardwood to carpets. Moreover, there are a few, such as the Tineco A11 that can be used for heavy-molting dogs.
- Upright Vacuums – These are powerful and best for large houses. They are ideal for eliminating pet hair off carpets and have larger bins. You can also cover large areas in a few passes. However, they are bulky and not as versatile as canisters and stick vacuums.
- Canister Vacuums – Canister vacuums are also powerful unit, but unlike uprights, you have to pull the unit behind you. It may feel uncomfortable at first, but it saves you the agony of having to push a bulky upright.
- Handheld Vacuums – These, on the other hand, are perfect for quick cleanups, for stairs, and for cleaning upholstery. They are light and easy to use, but they are not ideal for large cleanups.
2. Overall Performance
Though you want the best device for dog hair, you should also ensure that it can clean your carpets or hard floors. How well does it pick sand from your carpet? How well does it pick large debris? How is the edge cleaning? Ensure that the unit does more than pick dog hair.
Not to be confused with price, value is what you get for what you pay. There are some pricey vacuums but offer little value. It is better to invest in an affordable device with stellar overall performance and makes short work of pet hair over a pricier unit, which does the same. The former gives you more value than the latter.
4. Extra Features
These are not necessary, but they are nice to have. You can invest in a quiet vacuum for your dog though it would be better to acclimatize it to the noise instead of having it cower whenever you use this machine. You can also invest in a vacuum that can handle wet and dry messes. It is nice to have but not necessary.
As I wrap up, allowing me to answer some common questions about vacuums for dog hair. I also welcome you to leave any questions I have not addressed in the comment sections below.
Dog hair, just like any other pet hair, is unavoidable. You cannot keep your house free of dog hair without the right tools and specifically the best vacuum for dog hair. However, should you get one of these appliances, you can expect your floors and upholstery to be ever clean. Think of it as having your cake and eating it.
Be sure to stick to your budget and get a device that meets your needs and preferences. Also, if you feel there is something I missed, feel free to let me know in the comments below.