Much more than ever before, pets are regarded as a special part of human existence. They are just as important as other members of the family and should be cared for accordingly.
I own a golden retriever and is thus very familiar that with the many joys that come with owning a pet, comes many responsibilities.
One such responsibility is teaching my pet how to use the potty correctly. That includes getting her always to do it and, even more importantly, get her not to do it on the carpet!
That may, however, be wishful thinking when you have an overly playful pet like mine. While the constant peeing became reduced over time, there was nothing more frustrating than seeing the stains that now marked my carpet.
This led me on a search for a carpet cleaner that would work quickly and as effectively as seeing an immediate effect on one use. So whether my dog pees accidentally or not, I have a fail-safe plan ready at hand.
Read on for the top 15 pet urine cleaner products that I have found very useful.
Over time, I have tested a lot of pet urine cleaners in my search for the perfect one. There are admittedly a large number of products on the market, and while it made my search a tad bit tasking, i can say it was well worth it.
Check out my reviews for these products to decide which may be the best fit for you.
Carpet Cleaners For Old Pet Urine Comparison Chart 2021
Starting off, here is a comparison chart that affords you a glance at my list and what to expect further on.
|Best Carpet Cleaners For Old Pet Urine||Important Ingredients||Product Volume||Product Type|
|Nature’s Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo - Best Deep Cleansing Shampoo||Water, advanced enzymes, fragrance, etc||64 ounces||Shampoo solution|
|Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator - Best Enzymatic Cleaner||Water, Advanced Biological Blend, Non-Ionic Surfactant, etc.||32 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Bubbas Super Strength Concentrate Pet Odor Shampoo Solution - Best Odor Remover||Not available||32 ounces||Shampoo solution|
|Resolve Pet Expert Carpet Spot & Stain Remover - Best Budget||Not available||16 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Bissell Oxy Stain Destroyer Pet Plus Pretreat - Best Fast-Acting||Not available||22 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Particular Paws OXY Pet Stain Remover - Best Pet-Friendly||Water, Bacteria/Enzymes, Nonionic Surfactant, Fragrance, etc.||32 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Pretreat for Carpet & Upholstery - Best Pretreat Cleaner||Water, Biological enzymes, Pet Stain Pretreat Formula.||22 ounces||Pretreat|
|Shout Pets Oxy Stain & Odor Remover for Carpeting & Upholstery - Best Oxygen Solution||Aqua (Water), C12-15 Pareth-9, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzisothiazolinone, etc.||32 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Stuart Pet Supply Co. Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator - Best for Professional Use||Not available||32 ounces||Shampoo solution and spot cleaner|
|Bissell Pet Power Shot Oxy Carpet & Rug Stain Remover - Best Kid-Friendly||Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Nitrogen or Compressed Air, etc.||14 ounces||Spot Cleaning and Pretreatment|
|TriNova Natural Pet Stain and Odor Remover - Best for “ANY” Mess||Natural Bacteria, Natural Digestive Enzymes, Water, Bamboo Extract, etc.||32 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Bissell Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover - Best Allergen Reducer||Not available||22 ounces||Shampoo solution and spot cleaner|
|Carbona 2-in-1 Oxy-Powered Pet Stain Remover - Best for Stubborn Stains||Not available||22 ounces||Spot cleaner|
|Bissell 78H6B Deep Clean Pro Concentrated Formula - Best Biodegradable||Water, Alcohol Alkoxylate, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance, Silicon Defoamer, etc.||48 ounces||Shampoo solution and spot cleaner|
|Hoover AH30325NF PetPlus Pet Stain and Odor Remover - Best All-Rounder||Not available||37 ounces||Shampoo solution|
What is The Best Carpet Cleaners For Old Pet Urine?
- Best Deep Cleansing Shampoo: Nature’s Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet
It is one of the many astonishing carpet cleaners from Nature’s Miracle. It contains a formula that allows low foaming and efficiently cleans old pet urine.
- Best Enzymatic Cleaner: Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
The Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator is one of the popular cleaner products you’ll find on the market. This CRI-certified product is an enzymatic cleaner that gets rid of bacteria easily and removes all stains created by your pet.
- Best Odor Remover: Bubbas Super Steamer Carpet Cleaner Pet Odor
I trusted this Bubba’s to remove pet urine stains and its unpleasant odors from my carpet, and it did! You can too!
- Best Budget: Resolve Pet Expert Carpet Spot & Stain Remover
This Resolve Pet Expert cleaner is perfect for when you are on a low budget. It does the job quickly and efficiently!
- Best Fast-Acting: Bissell Oxy Stain Destroyer Pet Plus Pretreat
The Bissell Oxy Stain Destroyer Pet Plus Pretreat is one of theMS fastest-acting pet urine cleaner products on the market. A small spray, and you can see the change in less than a minute!
- Best Pet-Friendly: Particular Paws Pet Stain & Odor Eliminator
This Particular Paws product is an excellent choice for tough stains, but what makes it most alluring is that its ingredients pose no danger to your pets. It also does no damage to the carpet when used!
- Best Pretreat Cleaner: Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Pretreat for Carpet
If you’re planning to get a full wash for your carpet to get rid of old pet urine stains, then I recommend that you pretreat it with a spot cleaner like this Bissell product.
- Best Oxygen Solution: Shout Pets Oxy Stain & Odor Remover
This oxygen-powered cleaner is one of Shout’s best products on the market. They promise instant cleaning with the product’s special oxygen dissolution ability.
- Best for Professional Use: Stuart Pet Supply Co. Stain & Odor Eliminator
Are you battling old pet urine stains and smell that seem like they will forever be a part of your carpet? This Stuart product may just be the best option for you! What makes it even better is that it is a good option if you want to start a professional carpet cleaning business.
- Best Kid-Friendly: Bissell Pet Power Shot Oxy Carpet & Rug Stain Remover
Thanks to the absence of harsh chemicals among the many ingredients used to make this Bissell product, it is my best pick for kid-friendly products on the market.
- Best for “ANY” Mess: TriNova Natural Pet Stain & Odor Remover Eliminator
The TriNova Pet Stain and Odor remover Eliminator is made with natural products and is popularly marketed as one that can remove just about any organic stain and smell regardless of whatever its source may be.
- Best Allergen Reducer: Bissell Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover
Are you looking for a multi-purpose product? This pet carpet cleaner not only removes stains, odors, and kills 99.9% of bacteria on soft surfaces; it rids your carpets of allergens!
- Best for Stubborn Stains: Particular Paws OXY Pet Stain Remover
Particular Paws OXY Pet Stain Remover cleans the toughest urine stains thanks to its unique hydrogen-peroxide formula. Yet, it poses no danger of damage to your carpet and rugs.
- Best Biodegradable: Bissell 78H6B Deep Clean Pro Concentrated Formula
The Bissell 78H6B Deep Clean Pro Concentrated Formula is my best pick for a product that works efficiently and is entirely environmentally-friendly. This is thanks to Bissell’s continuously conducting research to make sure that their products don’t harm the environment.
- Best All-Rounder: Hoover AH30325NF Pet Stain and Odor Remover
The best overall pick on my list is the Hoover PetPlus Stain and Odor Remover. This top brand name product is a potent cleaner for just about any surface that your pet may pee on, and it leaves a long-lasting scent too.
Best Carpet Cleaners For Old Pet Urine Reviews 2021
The secret to quickening your search for the perfect product, whatever it may be, is reading reviews because you encounter many options on the market.
As for purchasing the ideal pet urine cleaner, you will find different brand name products, each with bonus features that will surely attract you.
With these reviews of mine, you not only quicken your search but also choose the most effective product for you, depending on whatever your requirements may be.
1. Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover Carpet Shampoo
(Best Deep Cleansing Shampoo)
Is your carpet stained with pet urine in multiple places? Getting it a full wash might just be the perfect option for you.
To get that deep cleansing wash, you will need a cleaning shampoo that will work efficiently and soak deep to rid your carpet of the age-old stains.
To achieve this, I recommend Nature’s Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo. Nature’s Miracle is one of the best brands when it comes to cleaning products, but this particular creation of theirs is my favorite.
This product should be used with water-based carpet cleaning machines. Thanks to its potency, paying it this way delivers the potential product deep into the carpet fibers and so tackles stains, whether fresh or old.
The only downside to this product is the rather harsh smell it leaves after use. Yes! The smell is enough to drive you and your family out of the house.
To avoid this, I advise that you leave the carpet out to dry for a little while. For more information about this product, check out this video review.
- Enzymatic deep cleaning
- Shampooing product
- Bio-enzymatic odor locking technology that efficiently eliminates the strongest odors
|Highlight feature(s)||a color-bright formula, low foaming, enzymes based, biodegradable.|
- Efficiently removes old carpet stains
- Can be used in a wet vacuum cleaner
- Bio-enzymatic odor elimination
- It leaves a harsh smell after use
2. Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
(Best Enzymatic Cleaner)
Enzymatic cleaners are based on enzymes and are regarded as top-notch stain removers. These products contain special proteins that attach to the bacteria left behind by urine and other staining substances.
The enzymes destroy the bacteria until it is virtually undetectable, thus effectively reducing the bad odor the stains might give off. The Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator is my best pick amongst the many enzymes-based cleaning products that are available on the market.
It is an excellent option for permanently ridding yourself of residues, tough stains, and the offensive odor they give off. I also deem it the perfect fit for people who have pets that are not toilet trained or currently undergoing toilet training.
- Enzymes-based stain and odor remover
- It is color-safe and does no damage to carpets.
- Easy to understand directions
|Brand||Rocco & Roxie|
|Highlight feature(s)||Biodegradable and CRI-certified, chlorine|
- Eliminates organic odors, stains and residues.
- Works on every surface
- Harsh smell that requires users to use a face mask before application starts
3. Bubbas Super Steamer Carpet Cleaner Pet Odor Shampoo
(Best Odor Remover)
This shampoo solution is my pick for the best odor remover. While it is strongly recommended for use when you have old pet urine stains, there is no denying that it works more to eliminate the unpleasant odors.
This product is to be used for a full shampooing of carpet. It delivers its constituents into the fibers of the carpet and leaves it smelling fresh and clean.
The one kink to buying this Bubba shampoo is that it comes at a very high price, considering that it contains just 32 ounces of solution. There is, however, no need arguing about the quality of the product, so if you are more concerned about the quality and looking for a way to get rid of old urine stains and smell then, it is a good option.
Check out this short review of the product for more information.
- For use in a wet carpet cleaner
- Commercial grade formula
- Designed to remove pet urine stains and odors
|Brand||Bubba’s Rowdy Friends Pet Supply Company|
|Highlight feature(s)||Can also be used on upholstery, effectively eliminates age-old urine odor.|
- Removes stubborn urine odors from carpets
- Leaves carpets smelling fresh and clean – always!
- A large number of positive reviews
- Very pricey
4. Resolve Pet Expert Carpet Spot & Stain Remover
Next up is the Resolve Pet Expert Carpet Spot & Stain Remover that comes at a very affordable price. Considering that I got the product at a ridiculously low price, it delivered better quality than I expected.
It cleans pet urine stains from carpets quickly and efficiently removes terrible odors that may be caused by the bacteria present. It is, however, a spot cleaner, which means it can only be used before a full shampooing of the carpet or for mild stains.
This Resolve product is marketed as one that uses a patented Odor Stop technology, which means that it targets urine odors that may attract your pet to pee right in the same place over and over!
For a more detailed explanation about why your pet might be peeing in the same spot over and over again, watch this video.
- Spot cleaner
- Uses a Patented Odor Stop technology
- Leaves the carpet Lightly scented
|Brand||Resolve Pet Expert|
|Highlight feature(s)||Patented Odor Stop technology, very affordable.|
- Effectively eliminates urine odor
- Discourages repeated peeing on the carpet
- Very affordable
- Not tough on stains
- Can only be used on small stains
5. Bissell Oxy Stain Destroyer Pet Plus Pretreat
The Bissell Oxy Stain Destroyer Pet Plus Pretreat is one of the fastest-acting pet cleaners I have ever used. It dissolves pet urine stains and residual odors in a mere 30 seconds!
While other products offer this same feature, this top brand product comes with other alluring features like its low price as well as being able to use it for spot cleaning or pretreatment before a full carpet shampoo.
It removes tough stains and also discourages pet resoiling thanks to how it leaves home smelling fresher. Need any more convincing? Check out this video.
- Spot cleaner or pretreat product for carpets
- Eliminates hard to remove stains
- Leaves home feeling fresh
- Dissolves stains in 30 seconds
|Highlight feature(s)||Fast-acting product and inexpensive.|
- Discourages pet re-soiling
- Safe for humans and pets
- Cannot be used for full carpet shampooing
6. Particular Paws Pet Stain & Odor Eliminator
When seeking a cleaning product to be used in a home with pets, it is essential that you note whatever effect it may have on them considering how adventurous these creatures can be.
You want to prevent poisoning and other respiratory issues that may arise from using a cleaning product. With Particular Paws Pet Stain & Odor Eliminator, there is no fear of your pet getting sick after using it.
This product is safe for use around your pets and doesn’t wear off the carpet on repeated use. Check out this video that gives you tips on how to best prevent your pets from consuming dangerous cleaning products.
- Hydrogen peroxide-based formula
- Needs to soak into the carpet for about 8 minutes
- Removes tough stains
- Can be used for spot cleaning or as a pretreat
|Highlight feature(s)||Used for heavy-duty stains, multipurpose, pet-friendly.|
- Effectively removes tough stains
- Leaves no harsh smell after use
- Multipurpose product
- Less effective on pet urine odors
7. Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Pretreat for Carpet & Upholstery
(Best Pretreat Cleaner)
The Bissell Pet Stain & Odor Pretreat for Carpet & Upholstery is my recommendation for people who want to go for pretreating their carpet before shampooing.
It removes pet urine stains and odors on carpets and, much like its name tells, on furniture. I was also most delighted with the fresh after scent this Bissell product left.
No matter how tough the stains might be, pretreating your carpet with this cleaner removes it all and makes it feel fresh and thanks to its enzymes-acting formula.
Watch this video for a better understanding of pretreating carpets.
- Enzymes-based formula
- Works on tough stains and smells
- Best used as a pretreatment
|Highlight feature(s)||Works on all water-safe surfaces, cheap, multipurpose|
- Efficiently pretreats to remove old urine stains
- Also safe for use on upholstery
- Fresh after scent
- Cannot be used for full shampooing
8. Shout Pets Oxy Stain & Odor Remover for Carpeting
(Best Oxygen Solution)
The Shout Pets Oxy Stain & Odor Remover for Carpeting & Upholstery is my go-to for when I need a cleaner that comes cheap and effectively eliminates the offensive odors that come off of pet urine carpet stains.
If these are your primary concerns, then it might just be a good option for you too. This is an oxygen-powered product that comes at a cheap price!
For new pet owners, oxygen solution cleaning products work to dissolve stains and smells quickly by the use of oxygen to penetrate the carpet fibers. It is, therefore, safe to use around pets and humans.
- Oxygen-powered formula
- Odor-destroying technology
- For spot cleaning and pre-treatment
|Brand||The Shout brand|
|Highlight feature(s)||Oxygen solution cleaner, affordable, instant cleaning.|
- Doesn’t wear off surfaces
- Safe for animals and humans
- It only works most effectively on mild stains
9. Stuart Pet Supply Co. Stain & Odor Eliminator
(Best for Professional Use)
Does your pet frequently make a giant mess over your carpet? Are you faced with stains and odors that seem permanent? If you answer affirmatively to these questions, then you might need a cleaning product that boasts of professional strength.
The Stuart Pet Supply Co. Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator is my best pick for that. This product cleans tough and heavy-duty stains while also ridding the surface of dangerous microbes.
Watch this short tutorial video on how to permanently eliminate cat urine odor.
- Professional strength stain and Odor remover
- Can be used on any surface
- Enzymes-based formula
- Kills microbes efficiently
|Brand||Stuart Pet Supply Co.|
|Highlight feature(s)||Microbial cleaner, professional strength, removes stinks quickly.|
- Chlorine-free formula
- Nice after scent
- Safe for use around animals
10. Bissell Pet Power Shot Oxy Carpet & Rug Stain Remover
This cleaner is best used for people with children and who are potty training their pets. It is not made of harsh chemicals that may pose a danger to your children.
Aside from its kid-friendly feature, it is a sure recommendation for people who are training their pets to properly void waste.
This Bissell product is an oxygen-powered cleaner that shows instant effects and prevents your pet from soiling the carpet with urine or feces thanks to its special Scotchgard protector.
Thus, my reason for recommending it as the ideal cleaner for people who are potty training their pets. Need more tips for potty training your pets? This video will prove helpful.
- Best used for spot cleaning and pre-treatment
- Oxygen-powered cleaner
- Special Scotchgard Protector that prevents pets from re-soiling carpet
- Instant cleaning effect
- Environmentally friendly
|Highlight feature(s)||Scotchgard protector formula, environmentally friendly.|
- Can be used during potty training
- Discourages pet re-soiling the carpet
- Effectively removes odors
- Safe for kids
- Small volume
- Leaves strong smell after application
11. TriNova Natural Pet Stain and Odor Remover
(Best for “ANY” Mess)
The TriNova Pet Stain Remover clear your carpet of pet urine stains as well as other organic stains and smells. Think about any mess, and this all-natural product cleans it quickly and efficiently.
It can also be applied on just about any surface, including carpets, rugs, laminated floors and furniture! Check out this short video review for more information.
- Made of a non-toxic formula
- Bamboo and mint extracts give a refreshing scent
- Contains natural enzymes that tackle stains and odors
|Highlight feature(s)||Non-toxic formula|
- Can remove old pet urine from concrete.
- Cleans “ANY” mess
- Fairly affordable
- Easy to understand instructions
- Not recommended for use on wooden floors
12. Bissell Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover
(Best Allergen Reducer)
The Bissell Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover is for multipurpose use. It performs excellently well when it comes to the standard features of a pet stain remover.
What is, however, most attractive about this Bissell cleaner is that it kills bacteria and removes allergens that may pose a danger to your pets and kids.
Check out this video that details tips for people with pet allergies.
- Sanitizes carpets and upholstery
- Excellent cleaning performance
- Reduces allergens on surfaces
- Suitable for use on carpet, furniture, the stairs, pet beds, couches, area rugs, inside cars
|Highlight feature(s)||Allergen reducer, antibacterial effect.|
- Effectively reduces allergens
- Antibacterial effect
- Not available to ship to all countries
13. Carbona 2-in-1 Oxy-Powered Pet Stain Remover
(Best for Stubborn Stains)
The Carbona 2-in-1 Oxy-Powered Pet Stain Remover uses active foam technology to get stubborn marks out of carpets and furniture.
This particular product is accompanied by a scrubbing head, thus making its use as easy as peas. Here is a detailed video review of this Carbona product.
- Includes active foam technology
- Re-soiling deterrent
- Built-in brush and sponge
- Very cheap
|Highlight feature(s)||Resoiling deterrent, great for persistent pet stains and odors.|
- Deters pets from re-soiling
- Comes with a built-in brush
- Great for eliminating pet odors
14. Bissell 78H6B Deep Clean Pro Concentrated Formula
This is yet another Bissell product on my list. The Bissell 78H6B Deep Clean Pro Concentrated Formula is my best pick for biodegradable cleaners on the market. Here’s why.
With this product, the Bissell Company has put in a lot of work to ensure that their products pose no harm to the environment. Their efforts don’t go unnoticed with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) certifying this product environmentally friendly.
Aside from this, this cleaner is ideal for tough pet urine stains and odors. Watch a video first-hand review of the product here.
- Made of formula with Scotchgard Protector, so carpets look good and stay clean longer.
- 2X the cleaning agents as most other formulas.
- Works on tough stains
- Made in America
|Highlight feature(s)||EPA-certified environmentally friendly|
- Environmentally friendly
- Makes carpet look bright and new
- Great value for money
- Leaves pleasant smell after use
- Can only be shipped within the United States
15. Hoover AH30325NF PetPlus Pet Stain & Odor Remover
Finally, it is my best pick for an all-rounder let stain cleaner. This product is the AH30325NF from Hoover, which is made up of an enzyme-based formula that effectively cleans pet urine stains and its residual odors.
It is one of the most potent cleaners I have ever used and is applicable on various surfaces like area rugs, car interiors, furniture, and carpets.
After use, the cleaner leaves a fresh deodorant smell, so you are not forced to stay outside your home after using it. Even more importantly, this product is safe for use around children and pets; it can also be used as a spot cleaner or a full shampooing product!
It is indeed an all-rounder! Check out this short video review.
- Spot cleaner and shampooing product
- Fast-acting formula
- No harsh chemical smell
|Highlight feature(s)||Great value for money!|
- 100% safe for use around children and animals
- Cleans tough stains and eliminates odors quickly
- Cleans any surface
- Great value for money
- It requires a sprayer
- Not eligible for international shipping
Having gone through my reviews, you will find that there are special terms that you should know when going on a search for the perfect pet urine stain cleaner. Depending on your requirements, there are essential things to look out for.
1. Strength of the Stain and Odor Removal Properties: this is perhaps the most important thing to note when searching old urine stain cleaners. For pets who are not potty-trained, you should opt for a cleaner that can completely neutralize stains and odors.
2. The Speed of Action: this depends on the strength and mechanism of the product. Some pet carpet cleaners require just 30 seconds to work, while some others need to be left to soak into the carpet fibers for a few minutes.
3. Mode of Action of the Cleaner: this can be used to determine the quality of a pet cleaner product. The most popular are those that are enzyme-based or oxygen-powered.
4. Scent: this may seem like a minor feature as you start your search, but believe me, it is just as important as finding a cleaner with string cleaner properties. Depending on the scent the product leaves after use, you may have to leave your home for a few hours.
For people who are highly sensitive to smells, I recommend purchasing products without scent or that come with a very light scent.
5. Get Value for Your Money: this is a critical task to avoid feeling cheated. You must draw a budget to know what you can afford before starting your search.
My Top Pick
There are different types of carpet cleaners on the market today that will get the job done, but for me, the best is Bissell’s 78H6B Deep Clean Pro Concentrated Formula.
Aside from the fact that it meets all requirements when it comes to tackling old pet urine stains and odors, it offers excellent value for money and is biodegradable!
Albeit pricey, there are no regrets about purchasing this product, and I recommend that you do so too!