Humans have harnessed the power of steam, with the most famous application being the steam engine. Though we have evolved from that, we still recognize the importance of steam and now use it to remove stubborn stains and kill germs without resorting to harmful chemicals.
Harnessing the power of steam requires use to innovate and create gadgets that will help us make the most of this. In the guide below, you have the best multi-purpose steam cleaners that will help you with most, if not all, of your cleaning tasks.
Before we get into that, here are a few reasons why you need one of these devices.
- Benefits of Using a Steam Cleaner
- Quick Answer: Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners
- Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners Comparison Table 2020
- 15 Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners 2020
- 1. McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam Cleaner
- 2. Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
- 3. McCulloch MC1275 Steam Cleaner
- 4. Pursteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- 5. McCulloch MC1385 Steam Cleaner
- 6. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
- 7. Dupray Hill Injection Commercial Steam Cleaner
- 8. Pure Enrichment PureClean Steam Cleaner
- 9. Light ‘N’ Easy Steam Cleaner
- 10. Sienna Luna Plus Steam Mop
- 11. Bissell Steam Shot Handheld Steamer
- 12. Shark Lift-Away S3973D
- 13. Polti Vaporetto Gona Steam Cleaner
- 14. Bissell 1544A Pet Steam Mop
- 15. Bissell 2075A Steam Mop
- Buying Guide
Benefits of Using a Steam Cleaner
Wondering why you need a steam cleaner? Well, here is why.
Clean in an Eco-Friendly Way
Manufacturers will not tell you this, but most detergents happen to be harmful. Yes, they will kill germs, they will remove the stubborn stains and will leave your home in pristine condition, but they are detrimental to the ecology.
Once they find their way into the environment, which they will, you can be sure that they will harm the plants, animals, micro-organisms. Steam cleaners, on the other hand, will kill germs, but that is as far as they go.
Yes, detergents will kill germs and remove stains, but they leave behind a residue that can harm your kids and your pets. Your pets and kids will be crawling on these surfaces, and are likely to do what every other kid does; eat off the floor/ countertops, thus ingesting the chemicals.
Steam cleaners remove this threat to kids by cleaning without the risk of leaving behind chemical residue.
Detergents will kill germs, but you need one of the best mops to be efficient, and probably a towel will not help you clean large areas. On the other hand, even the best vacuums cannot sanitize the surfaces they clean. Steam cleaners, though, allow you to cover large areas in a few passes and some retail with special tools that come in handy when cleaning awkward places.
Easy to Use
Finally, the best multi-purpose steam cleaners are easy to use. Think about it, you have to carry a bucket load of water when using a mop. You also end up using a lot of water. However, steam cleaners happen to be light, allowing you to carry them from place to place.
Quick Answer: Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners
Here is a quick overview of what to expect, and these are my top picks for the best multi-purpose steam cleaners.
- Best Overall - McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam Cleaner – It has an innate ability to sanitize and remove residue dirt. It also has a wide selection of accessories.
- Runner Up - Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner – You will appreciate the many accessories and the trigger lock.
- Budget Pick - Bissell Steam Shot Handheld Steamer – It is an affordable vacuum but one that still competes with the best.
- Best for Pets - Bissell 1544A Pet Steam Mop – With its scented pads, it will eliminate all pet odors. It also has a brush for cleaning tough stains.
- Best Heavy-Duty - McCulloch MC1275 Steam Cleaner – You will appreciate the superior build of the MC1275 as it allows it to withstand abuse.
- Best for Hard Floors - Light ‘N’ Easy Steam Cleaner – As an upright/stick vacuum, it makes cleaning hard floors a breeze.
- Best Handheld Steam Cleaner - Pursteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner – If you are looking for the best handheld, then look no further than the Pursteam.
- Most Aesthetically Pleasing - Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner – For those interested in how a machine looks as well as the performance.
Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners Comparison Table 2020
Here are the essential features of the steam cleaners compared.
|Name||Weight in Lbs||Cord in Ft.||Tank Size in Oz||Runtime in Minutes||Accessories||Warranty in Yrs|
|McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam Cleaner - Best Overall||11||18||48||90||20||2|
|Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner - Runner-Up||8.4||15.4||45||45||15||2|
|McCulloch MC1275 Steam Cleaner - Best Heavy-Duty||<10||15.7||48||45||18||2|
|Pursteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner - Best Handheld Steam Cleaner||2.2||9.8||12||20||9||-|
|McCulloch MC1385 Steam Cleaner||13||18||64||120||23||1|
|Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner - Most Aesthetically Pleasing||9||16||54||50||18||1|
|Dupray Hill Injection Commercial Steam Cleaner - Best for Continuous Use||25 with water||14’9”||20||Continuous||27|
|Pure Enrichment PureClean Steam Cleaner||15.85||16||33||45||18|
|Light ‘N’ Easy Steam Cleaner - Best for Hard Floors Floors||6.3||20||11.5||30||3||1|
|Sienna Luna Plus Steam Mop||8.5||25||16||15-20||12||1|
|Bissell Steam Shot Handheld Steamer - Budget Pick||5||20||6.6||5||8||1|
|Shark Lift-Away S3973D||4.8||22||5||5||5||1|
|Polti Vaporetto Gona Steam Cleaner||7||16.4||10||10||10||2|
|Bissell 1544A Pet Steam Mop - Best for Pets||10||25||13||13||13||2|
|Bissell 2075A Steam Mop||6.4||10||10||10||10||2|
15 Best Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaners 2020
If the benefits enough were enough to convince you to get one of these babies, then here are the best multi-purpose steam cleaners. They are ideal for cleaning different surfaces, and I have tried to keep them in the affordable range. I sure hope you enjoy reading this.
1. McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam Cleaner
Topping the list of the best multi-purpose steam cleaner is the McCulloch MC1375. It deep cleans and sanitizes thanks to its innate ability, and you can use it on various surfaces with the slew of accessories.
Included accessories are a large mop head, a scrapper, a triangle brush which is ideal for cleaning in corners, a broad brush for scrubbing large stains, extension wands, an angled nozzle for awkward areas, and a round scrub brush. With the above tools, there is no area you cannot clean. As for storage, well, that should not bother you thanks to the onboard storage.
The McCulloch MC1375 has a tank capacity of about 48-ounces, which is enough for about 1.5-hrs. The water heats up quickly, in less than 10 minutes, and you can adjust the steam rate between 15g/min and 31g/min. The higher steam rate is best for tough stains, while the lower rate is best for light tasks.
Another exciting feature is the pressure from this machine. At 58psi, it will remove dust from tough spots and make short work of stains.
- The steam temperature is high (200 degrees Fahrenheit).
- It has a slew of accessories.
- It has a long runtime before you have to refill.
- It has an insulated steam hose.
- It has large wheels and follows you easily.
- Getting replacements is difficult.
- The cord s short for large tasks.
If you want to learn more about this machine, to learn how it holds up to abuse, and it’s durability, then watch the video below.
2. Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
The next item on this best multi-purpose steam cleaners list is the Steamfast SF-370WH. It is on this list thanks to the range of accessories. It has 15-accessories, and though these are five less than my top pick, they are still enough for most cleaning tasks.
The attachments include 2-extension wands that increase the reach, a corner tool (quite handy), a brass brush, a scrub tool for those tough spots, two utility brushes (nylon so as not to damage the surface), and a steam jet nozzle to mention a few. By and large, you have a tool for every job imaginable.
As for the steam rate, it is not adjustable, and you have to work with 26-g/min. Though I consider that a con, it only takes some getting used to.
Finally, you will appreciate that it is light at 8.4-pounds, and it has a relatively large tank at 45-ounces, it takes 8-mins for the water to heat up and will last for 45-minutes.
- The trigger can be locked.
- It is well accessorized.
- It has an extended 2-yr warranty.
- It takes a short period for water to heat up.
- It has a short cord at 15.4-ft.
Here is how you use the Steamfact SF-370WH. You will also get a better feel of this machine by watching the below video.
3. McCulloch MC1275 Steam Cleaner
If you are looking for a steam cleaner that you can use in your business, one that you can carry from one job to the next, and still has the versatility to clean various surfaces, then look no further than the McCulloch MC1275. It is a heavy-duty machine that can withstand the abuse in commercial settings.
It weighs 10 pounds without water, but it is still light even with water. It has a carry handle allowing you to pick it above obstacles or up and down a flight of stairs.
But what makes it one of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners?
Well, it is all thanks to the 18-accessories. It has a squeegee tool for cleaning windows, 2-microfiber pads that you can use on low-pile carpets, a triangle brush for cleaning corners, a mop head, and some nylon brushes. You can be confident your business will flourish with one of these.
- It has an adjustable steam rate between 33 and 37g/min.
- It has a large tank (48-ounces).
- It can withstand abuse as it is a heavy-duty machine.
- It has a short cord.
- The runtime is short for a heavy-duty steam cleaner.
If you are torn between investing in a steamer vs. an engine degreaser, then the video below is for you. It explains all the reasons why you need this in your garage.
4. Pursteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
(Best Handheld Steam Cleaner)
For exclusively above-floor cleaning, we have the Pursteam handheld vacuum. Though it does not have a wide selection of accessories like our previous picks, the 9-provided are enough for most tasks. These attachments include a squeegee tool for glasses, an iron brush, an ironing cloth, a hose, and a brush. You can clean hard surfaces, and you can also use it on wool and cotton carpets.
You will also appreciate that the Pursteam is 30% more heat compared to the competition. Therefore, you will be paying the same price for a more powerful machine. Another exciting feature is the quick heat-up time. The water is ready to use in 3 to 4 minutes.
- It is light, and you can use it for long periods.
- It generates more steam than the competition.
- It has enough tools for cleaning different surfaces.
- It is well built, and it can withstand abuse.
- It has a short cord at 9.8-ft.
- It is limited to cleaning above-floor areas.
5. McCulloch MC1385 Steam Cleaner
If you want a device where you will run out of things to clean before you run out of steam, then look no further than the McCulloch MC1385. With its 64-ounce tank, it holds a lot of water, and you can complete a house before you have to refill. Nonetheless, seeing as it has a lot of water, it takes longer 12 to 15 minutes for the water to heat.
Once the water is hot, you can use it for up to 120-minutes. The water is not only exceedingly hot at 200 degrees Fahrenheit, but it also happens to be under pressure to blast grime and dust from tight spots.
As for accessories, it retails with 23 of them increasing the resourcefulness. You have an angled nozzle for those awkward spots, a floor mop attachment for floors, a squeegee for windows, a scrapper, a triangle brush, and even a microfiber pad – remarkable.
- It has cord wrap for better cord storage.
- It has onboard storage for the tools.
- It has a slew of attachments.
- It has a long runtime.
- You have to wait for 30-minutes before you can empty the remaining water.
- Filling the tank with water needs a funnel which is not provided.
- The cord is short.
The McCulloch MC1385 is not as popular as its smaller cousins. With that in mind, here is a video explaining how to use it and why it is a remarkable machine.
6. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
(Most Aesthetically Pleasing)
If how a tool looks matters as much as the performance, then the Dupray Neat is the device for you. However, don’t let the aesthetics fool you; it happens to be one of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners, with steam reaching a temperature of 275 degrees Fahrenheit. It will make short work of any grime or dirt.
The included 18-tool kit increases the versatility as then you can clean any surface. You have everything from a lance to five nylon brushes, a squeegee, and even a fragrance disc.
As for the tank, it can hold 54-ounces of water. I found this terrific considering the small size of this machine. It also has an in-built funnel solving the problem of adding water. By and large, it is as good as my top-picks.
- It has a decent runtime of 50-mins.
- It has an in-built funnel.
- The water warms up in a record 7-mins.
- It has smooth-rolling wheels.
- It is light at 9-pounds
- It has a retractable handle.
- It has a short cord.
Seeing is believing, and you will only get the complete feel by observing the machine in action. Here is a training video on how to use the Neat.
7. Dupray Hill Injection Commercial Steam Cleaner
(Best for Continuous Use)
The next item on this list of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners is from Dupray. You will love it as it allows for continuous use thanks to the dual tank system. With most steam cleaners, you have to wait for 10 to 30-minutes before you can empty or refill. Well, that is not the case with the Dupray Hill Injection, as you can refill while in use.
Also, unlike most steam cleaners that rely on steam, this device has a tank for detergent that I believe will come in handy for tough stains.
As for the accessories, you will appreciate the 27-heavy-duty units provided with this unit. You get a rectangular floor tool that helps on hard floors, a triangular tool for corners, brushes for cleaning grills and agitating stains, ironing clothes for use on couches and beds, and even steel wool.
There is not a surface that you cannot clean with this machine.
- You can use it on all types of surfaces.
- It will eliminate the toughest stains thanks to the high steam temperature.
- It has adjustable steam control.
- The steam is under high pressure (121 psi).
- It is pricey.
- There are instances water does not flow from the top to the bottom tank.
I welcome you to watch the video below to learn how to use the Dupray Hill Injection safely.
8. Pure Enrichment PureClean Steam Cleaner
The next best multi-purpose steam cleaner is PureClean by Pure Enrichment. If you want an aesthetically pleasing machine, then get this after the Dupray Neat. It has a futuristic design that you will love.
First, you will appreciate the ease of storage. The carry handle also holds the hose and the wands, while you can wrap the cord on the cord holders around the back.
As for the temperature, it can get to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, which I bet is enough for most stains. Couple this with the wide selection of accessories, and there is not a place you cannot clean. As for the power cord, I believe it is short at 17-ft, but it is decent compared to other steam cleaners. Finally, I found it easy to use, seeing as it is a canister device.
- It has a large tank.
- It has a decent runtime of 45-minutes.
- It has an 8-yr satisfaction rate.
- The switch is a flow control switch.
- The hose is somewhat lengthy.
- It does not have a ready for use alert.
- The two-sided pads will absorb most of the steam instead of it getting to the floor.
9. Light ‘N’ Easy Steam Cleaner
(Best for Hard Floors Floors)
The S3601 by Light ‘N’ Easy is a remarkable machine. Yes, it is best for hard floors, but you can convert it to a handheld device for cleaning other areas. First, you will love the design. Unlike the rest of the machines on this list that happen to be canisters, this is a stick cleaner. I find this design ideal as we are a society that is accustomed to upright vacuums, and changing to canister devices will take some getting used to.
As a stick cleaner, it weighs about 6.4-pounds allowing you to use it for hours on end. The steam is on-demand, enabling you to work for extended periods, although the tank is small. It also has some fancy accessories that come in handy. The jet nozzle will blast dirt from tight spots, while the ironing cloth is remarkable for couches and mattresses.
- It is light, allowing you to work for long periods.
- You can use it as a handheld, increasing versatility.
- It has a small reservoir, and you can only use it for a few minutes.
- The steam is not hot enough for demanding jobs.
Seeing as this is an upright/stick steam cleaner, there is a bit of assembly required. Here is how you put it together.
10. Sienna Luna Plus Steam Mop
The Sienna Luna happens to be a stick steam cleaner, and it is perfect for floors. It is also great for the above-floor areas as you can convert it to a handheld. The handheld works with a hose for cleaning awkward places, and it is light increasing the versatility.
One thing that piqued my interest is the adjustable steam level. You can adjust the steam to three levels so that you can clean various surfaces. It also achieves high temperatures (212 degrees Fahrenheit) for a stick steam cleaner. Moreover, it is ready to use in 30-seconds.
Though it does not have a large reservoir, you will appreciate that the water heats up in less than a minute reducing the downtime. You will also love that it is light as then you can use it for long periods. The accessories included are a small steam head, a squeegee for cleaning windows and glasses, nylon brushes, hose, concentrator nozzle, and even brass nozzles. It is the definition of versatility.
- It has a wide selection of accessories.
- It is great for tight spots.
- The customer service is superb.
- It is well-priced.
- The cleaner head you use with the handheld version is a bit small.
11. Bissell Steam Shot Handheld Steamer
Affordable but still quite robust, and will make short of grease on the grill, and any soap scum on the sink. As a handheld, it will not help with cleaning floors. It might be enough for spot cleaning, but nothing else.
I consider it a multi-purpose unit, thanks to the attachments. It has a scrapping tool which is useful for cleaning stuck-on dirt. There is also the squeegee, fabric steamer, an angle concentrator for hard to reach places, and the standard nozzle.
As for the size of the tank, it is a tad small at 6.6-ounces, but it is enough to clean a single room before you have to refill. You will love the heat up time as it only takes 30-seconds, and the water is ready to use.
Finally, it has an on-demand trigger that ensures steam is only used when cleaning.
- It is versatile, thanks to the handheld design and the accessories.
- It is light at 3 pounds.
- It has a decent power cord at 20-ft.
- It has a heater ready indicator light.
- It has an ergonomic handle.
- It is only ideal for above-floor cleaning.
Given that this is a low-cost device, a fraction of the cost of other machines on this list, one would reckon that it is a low-quality machine. Well, the following video will prove you wrong.
12. Shark Lift-Away S3973D
Shark is renowned for its vacuums, but they also happen to manufacture some kickass steam cleaners such as the S3973D. The lift-away technology is simply a fancy name for the handheld incorporated in this stick steam cleaner.
Its performance on hard floors is stellar. First, you can swap cleaning pads without touching them. This has always been a drawback, as most people don’t want to touch a messy pad. Also, you can flip the cleaning pad, reducing the number of times you have to change it.
The steam blaster is also quite fascinating, and you can tackle some tough messes. The intelligent steam control comes in handy, allowing you to clean various surfaces with ease.
As for accessories, you get a 3-ft hose for use when using the handheld, you also get a triangle tool for cleaning corners, a garment steamer, and finally a scrubber head.
- It is powerful.
- It makes cleaning fast, saving you time.
- It has a decent 1-yr warranty.
- It has an attachment that scrubs and steams.
- Finding replacement cloths is a bit difficult.
- It has a few attachments.
There is little I can say about the S3973D. It is beyond remarkable, and the lift-away increases the versatility. Here is how it works.
13. Polti Vaporetto Gona Steam Cleaner
I am not confident about the support the company will give you for this is an Italian company but that does not change the quality of the machine. Unlike most handheld steam cleaners, you can use this for floor cleaning. It includes a hose and a wand that will accept extension wands for such tasks.
Other accessories include a shoulder strap that allows you to carry it ghostbuster’s style, a grout brush for cleaning between tiles, cleaning pads, standard brushes for use to remove soap scum or grease on grills, a squeegee, large rectangular floor head, and an angled nozzle. Though most other machines on this list have more accessories, these should be enough for standard cleaning tasks.
Pressure is crucial when working with steam cleaners, as that is what will knock dirt out of tight spots. The Polti Vaporetto has a pressure of 3.5-bar, which I reckon is enough for most tasks. As for the steam flow, it is about 100g/min, though it is adjustable.
- It is light.
- It has a slew of accessories.
- It has a long reach of about 24-ft.
- It has a small reservoir, and it is only suitable for small cleaning tasks.
14. Bissell 1544A Pet Steam Mop
(Best for Pets)
The Bissell 1544A is one of the best multi-purpose steam cleaners thanks to its performance when it comes to cleaning after pets on floors and above-floors areas. First, it is an upright steamer, but you can convert it to a handheld. The handheld works with 13-accessories to clean windows, countertops, couches, and beds.
Speaking of tools, we have the grout brush, bristle brushes for delicate surfaces, angled nozzle for things such as toys, a squeegee, a fabric steamer, and even a flat scraping tool. There is also a brush behind the floor tool for scrubbing tough messes.
You can also customize the steam between high and low depending on your needs. As for the reach, it has the longest at about 25-ft, meaning you can clean without having to change outlets.
Finally, the machine is ready 30-seconds after filling it with water.
- It has fresh scent pads for eliminating odors.
- It is a light machine.
- There are instances where the device stops working after a few uses.
- The plastic gets uncomfortably hot.
- The customer service is disappointing.
Remember that brush I spoke off, well here it is in use. You will also learn more about this Bissell by watching the video below.
15. Bissell 2075A Steam Mop
Finally, there is the Bissell 2075A. Unlike most sticks steam cleaners, which are 2-in-1, the 2075A is a 3-in-1. You can use it as a handheld, as a stick, or as a handheld plus the extension wands. The latter allows you to clean areas such as ceilings or other unreachable areas.
I find that it is limited when it comes to attachment tools, but they are enough for most standard tasks. There is the fabric steamer, the standard floor cleaning head, and a few brushes and an angled nozzle. You will also appreciate that you can store the tools in the machine reducing the likelihood of losing them.
You will also appreciate the performance when it comes to floor cleaning. It swivels steers allowing you to get around obstacles with ease, and it has a large cleaning path reducing the number of back and forth movements you have to make.
- It is a lightweight machine weighing 6.4-lbs.
- It is reasonably priced.
- It is maneuverable.
- Though it is light, the weight is on the handle, making it difficult to use.
- There is nowhere to store the cord.
- You have to continually squeeze the trigger to produce steam.
- It does not produce enough steam.
Here are the things to consider when on the hunt for one of these machines. By following this guide, you will be in a better position to make an educated decision.
Type of Steam Cleaner
When going to get one of these babies, you have to know what you are buying, and the pros and cons associated with it. There are three types of steam cleaners; canister, upright, and stick steam cleaner.
Canister steam cleaners are the best multi-purpose. They have a slew of accessories increasing the versatility, they have larger tanks thus, you can use them for more extended periods without, and they are faster to work with. However, you have to wait for quite some time (often as long as 15-minutes), for the device to be ready to use. Also, you have to wait a long time for the device to cool down.
Handheld steam cleaners, on the other hand, are perfect for above-floor cleaning. If you are looking for a gadget to clean sinks, countertops, couches, windows, and mattresses, then look no further than with this device.
Finally, we have upright steam cleaners that are more like stick vacuums and are best for floor cleaning. Some can convert to handhelds, but few accessories and small reservoirs are limiting. Nonetheless, the water heats up in record time (as low as 30-minutes), saving you time you would have spent waiting for water to warm up.
A steam cleaner can only be considered as a multi-purpose if it has all the necessary accessories. Attachments allow you to clean different surfaces with ease. I cannot presume to know all the required attachments, as only your needs can dictate that, but here are some few that should be on every machine.
These are a squeegee for cleaning windows, a fabric cloth for couches, and mattresses, a standard nozzle, and an angled nozzle for awkward spots, a brush, and a hose. With these attachments, any steam cleaner can be a multi-purpose cleaner.
Also, be sure to check the power. This falls into three categories; the amount of steam released per minute, the pressure, and the temperature.
To clean tough messes, you need high temperatures to break them down, and pressure to blast it away. Most of the devices have 4 bar pressure, but you can pick one with 3.5-bar pressure.
However, you should get a gadget with higher pressure for those stubborn stains.
As for temperature, I recommend 200 degrees Fahrenheit, although you can get a machine with lower temperatures, you should try and keep it close to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Finally, we have the steam flow. Invest in a steam cleaner with adjustable steam. One where you can lower or increase it depending on your needs.
Finally, always buy from reputable brands. Renowned companies have a reputation to protect, and thus they ensure that the machines they provide ever meet the minimum quality standards.
They also have terrific customer service and honor their warranties.
Finally, allow me to respond to these frequently asked questions about the best multi-purpose steam cleaner.
The McCulloch MC1375 happens to be my favorite pick. It has a wide selection of tools, and it is reasonably priced. If you are on a budget, consider the Bissell Steam Shot steam cleaner. The other machines are equally good, but ensure you are investing in something that meets your needs.
That’s it from me, and I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Also, let me know which device you consider to be the best multi-purpose steam cleaner in the comments below.