Long hair in people and especially the fair gender has a lot of positives, including it being a fashion statement. In pets, it keeps them warm during winter, and it is striking. However, the negatives are equally many. First, it is a pain to clean unless you have the best vacuum cleaner for long hair. It leads to drainage clogs and gets stuck in the beater bar of most vacuum cleaners.
But what passes as long hair? You might think that this is pretty straightforward, after all, it is hair that is long, but the definition changes with context.
For ladies, long hair is anything that is past the shoulders, for men, anything past the ears, while for pets, it is anything that you can glide your fingers through.
- Problems Associated with Long Hair
- Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near Me
- Quick Answer: Best Vacuum Cleaners for Long Hair
- 15 Best Vacuums for Long Hair Comparison Table 2019
- Top 15 Best Vacuums for Long Hair 2019 (Recommended)
- 1. Shark Apex AZ1002 With DuoClean
- 2. Shark Navigator ZU561 Red Peony with Zero-M
- 3. Dyson V10 Animal
- 4. Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G
- 5. Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Review
- 6. Ecovac Deebot 901 Robot Vacuum
- 7. iRobot Roomba 980
- 8. Shark NV752 Upright Vacuum
- 9. Hoover BH50010 Stick Vacuum
- 10. Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction
- 11. Tineco A10 Hero Stick Vacuum
- 12. Miele Blizzard CX1 Electro
- 13. Bissell Cleanview 1832 Upright Vacuum
- 14. Dyson Ball Animal 2
- 15. Stanley Black & Decker FHV1200W
- Buying Guide
Problems Associated with Long Hair
Long hair is difficult to clean. Once it gets embedded into the carpets or upholstery, it can be a pain to remove. Moreover, it easily wraps around any brushroll leading to clogs. As you know, the beater bar is an integral part of the vacuum, and little cleaning can be done with hair wrapped around it.
That’s where the best vacuums for long hair come in. If you want to avoid the displeasing work of having to remove hair off your beater bar, if you’re going to reduce time wasted untangling fur, then get one of these bad boys below.
The best vacuums for long hair are equipped with the appropriate technology to combat the menace that is long hair. They are powerful to remove deeply embedded fur from carpets and upholstery and have technology that prevents fur from collecting on the beater bar.
Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near Me
If you are looking for an excellent vacuum for long hair, then you should know where to get one of these machines. First, you should read the buying guide below as that will guide you by telling you what to look for.
Next, comes the search. I love consulting friends, colleagues, or the local house cleaning professionals as they will be speaking from first-hand experience. I recommend the latter (the local cleaning professionals) as they have bought a ton of machines and thus know the best shops near you.
You can also take your search online. Use the search terms below to find a suitable outlet in your area.
- Vacuum cleaner shops near me
- Vacuum cleaner shops in my area
Finally, be sure to read the reviews before visiting the shop. Focus on the 3-star and 2-star reviews as they might reveal some red flags.
Quick Answer: Best Vacuum Cleaners for Long Hair
The following machines are the crème vacuums for long hair. If you want the best, then get one of these.
- Best Overall: Shark Apex AZ1002 With DuoClean – Thanks to the Zero-M technology, no hair will collect on the beater bar.
- Runner-Up: Shark Navigator ZU561 Red Peony with Zero-M – Another Shark with the Zero-M tech but falls short of the top-pick as it does not have the DuoClean Head.
- Budget Pick: Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G – This is an affordable machine that is best for hard floors.
- Best Splurge: Dyson V10 Animal – It is a pricey device, but worth every buck you will be paying.
- Best for Pets: Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Review – This is the best for pet hair thanks to the tangle-free brushroll.
- Best Robot Vacuum for Long Hair: Ecovac Deebot 901 Robot Vacuum – Remarkable for light cleaning tasks.
- Best Handheld for Long Hair: Stanley Black & Decker FHV1200W – A handheld will come in handy when it comes to cleaning above floor areas, and the FHV1200W is the best for removing long hair in such areas.
- Best for Hard Floors: Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction – The most affordable Miele vacuum.
15 Best Vacuums for Long Hair Comparison Table 2019
Are you pressed for time? Well, here are the best vacuum cleaners for long hair compared side to side.
|Name||Cord||Cord Length/ Runtime||Bag||HEPA||Weight in Lbs.||Warranty|
|Shark Apex AZ1002 With DuoClean - Best Overall||Yes||30-ft||No||Yes||16||5|
|Shark Navigator ZU561 Red Peony with Zero-M - Runner-Up||Yes||20-ft||No||Yes||13.4||5|
|Dyson V10 Animal - Best Splurge||No||60-min||No||Yes||6||5|
|Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G - Budget Pick||Yes||20-ft||Yes||No||11||1|
|Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Review - Best for Pets||Yes||30-ft||No||No||18||5|
|Ecovac Deebot 901 Robot Vacuum - Best Robot Vacuum||No||100-min||No||-||9.7||1|
|iRobot Roomba 980||No||50-min||No||Yes||8.7||1|
|Shark NV752 Upright Vacuum||Yes||30-ft||No||Yes||15||5|
|Hoover BH50010 Stick Vacuum||No||15-20 mins||No||No||5.5||2|
|Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction||Yes||18-ft||Yes||Yes||14||7|
|Tineco A10 Hero Stick Vacuum||No||10-25-mins||No||Yes||5||2|
|Miele Blizzard CX1 Electro||Yes||21-ft||No||Yes||15||7|
|Bissell Cleanview 1832 Upright Vacuum||Yes||25-ft||No||No||15.4||2|
|Dyson Ball Animal 2||Yes||35-ft||No||Yes||17.5||5|
|Stanley Black & Decker FHV1200W - Best Handheld for Long Hair||No||20-mins||No||Yes||5||2|
Top 15 Best Vacuums for Long Hair 2019 (Recommended)
The following machines have been put to the test, and it is clear that they are the best when it comes to dealing with long hair. Let me know which device piques your interest in the comments below.
1. Shark Apex AZ1002 With DuoClean
The Shark Apex AZ1002 is top of the vacuum food chain, the best vacuum cleaner for long hair, and one of the best shark vacuums. Thanks to the Zero-M tech, which is simply protrusions on the top of the brushroll that prevents long hair from collecting on the bar. However, the wonders of this machine don’t stop there.
The DuoClean head happens to be the best invention in the vacuum world in recent years. The floor tool has two brushes (a soft roller, and an agitating brush) that allow you to clean hard and carpeted areas. The soft roller will pick up everything from fine debris and pet hair and will roll over large debris, eliminating the snowplowing effect.
You will also love the superior filtration. The device has a HEPA filter, which traps 99.97% of pollutants and allergens. The machine also happens to be sealed entirely, ensuring that all air passes through the filters.
Finally, it has convenience features such as noise-reduction tech and LED lights on the cleaner head and the handle.
- It is the most robust bagless vacuum.
- It can clean deep under furniture with ease.
- It has the lift-away tech, which increases versatility.
- It is maneuverable thanks to the active-glide tech.
- It is a bit loud despite the noise-reduction technology.
The Shark Apex is a remarkable piece of equipment, and undoubtedly the best vacuum cleaner for long hair. However, there are things you might not like, as illustrated in the video below.
The next machine on this list of the best vacuum cleaners for long hair is the Shark Navigator ZU561. It is similar to my top pick only that it does not have the DuoClean head. It happens to be a simple machine, but one I consider to be better than most.
First, it has Zero-M technology, and you know what that means. Hair will never collect on the brushroll. Your cleaning performance will be unmatched. Something else that interested me was the adjustable suction. Should pushing the machine on carpets prove to be difficult, you can use the suction slider to reduce the suction.
As for accessories, it has the necessary tools, including a crevice tool, an extensive upholstery tool, and a dusting brush. Only one of the attachments can store on the machine, so you have to take care of the rest.
- It is a powerful machine.
- Its performance on carpets is exemplary.
- The filters are washable, reducing the cost of consumables.
- You can use it as a canister vacuum.
- You cannot use it on hard floors as you cannot turn off the brushroll.
The Shark ZU561 is not as popular as our top pick. Therefore, I welcome you to watch this video to get a better feel of the device.
3. Dyson V10 Animal
If you are on what I consider a generous budget, then get the Dyson V10 Animal. It is also best for houses that are 95% hard floors, and one of the best Dyson vacuums. First, this is a stick vacuum, and it will be easier to operate.
Moreover, it is a cordless device with about 60-minutes of runtime. The switch is a trigger switch, which means the machine will last longer. In boost mode, though, it only lasts about 30-minutes, which is still impressive.
As for the hair performance, you will appreciate the fluffy cleaning head as it is unmatched. It picks hair off of hard floors with ease. As you know, all Dyson vacuums happen to be bagless. The thing with bagless gadgets is that disposal can be messy. Well, not with the Dyson V10 animal as it has a point and shoot bin.
Finally, you can lean it on a wall without slipping, thanks to the rubber heel.
- It is powerful.
- It is lightweight.
- It is maneuverable and can get into tight spots.
- It has an LED battery indicator on the handle.
- It is a bit pricey.
- It is not best for carpets.
Seeing as you will be spending a small fortune on this vacuum, you should know how to maintain it. Here is a tutorial to help you out with that.
4. Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G
The next best vacuum cleaner for long hair is the Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G. It also happens to be my budget pick for those looking for an affordable machine.
The Eureka 3670G performance on long fur on hard floors and carpets is terrific. Thanks to the 12-amp motor, it can pick everything with ease. However, it is not best for hard floors. Despite having a powerful engine, it cannot get to deeply embedded hair on shaggy carpets.
The filtration of the 3670G is something you will appreciate as well. SmartSeal Allergen Technology reduces the likelihood of dirty air escaping from the unit. It might not be HEPA, but it is good enough given the price.
Finally, you will appreciate the ease of use. It has fingertip controls, and it is lightweight.
- It has a long reach.
- It is affordable.
- It is light.
- It works as a blower thanks to the blower port.
- It has convenient cord storage.
- The cord is short at 20-ft.
- It does not have HEPA filter compromising air quality.
Get a feel of the 3670G by watching the video below. Also, it should give you a feel of the performance when cleaning close to the baseboards.
5. Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Review
(Best for Pets)
The next item on this list of the best vacuum cleaner for long hair is the Bissell 1650A. Some features make this unit stand out. First, there is a tangle-free brushroll. Long hair is a menace as it collects on the brushroll with ease, and thus a tangle-free brushroll is quite appreciated.
Cleaning hair off upholstery will be a breeze too thanks to the turbo tool. The Bissell has done one better than the competition in that it now has a hair spooling system for hands-free emptying of the canister.
If you are cleaning with pet hair, then it’s likely that you also have pet odor. Well, the 1650A has an odor elimination filter that ensures the air in your home is ever clean. It also has specialized pet attachments.
As for filtration, it could not be better. The unit is completely sealed, ensuring that all air passes through the filters.
- It has excellent edge to edge cleaning performance.
- It performs well on all surfaces.
- It provides trouble-free cleaning thanks to the tangle-free brushroll.
- It has a lengthy warranty.
- The 30-ft cord is just decent.
- The quick-release wand is short.
6. Ecovac Deebot 901 Robot Vacuum
(Best Robot Vacuum)
The next vacuum on this best vacuum cleaners for long hair list is the Ecovac Deebot 901. Few units, including the pricier pieces, can compete with what this machine has to offer. First, its performance on carpets and hard floors is unmatched. It picks hair with ease, and you will love the performance.
Next, it has superb navigation. It uses lasers to map the house so that it can clean in straight lines ensuring it picks all dirt. Laser navigation is also better than cameras as the lights do not have to be on. Once the vacuum has cleaned the house once, you can draw lines on the digital map to keep the device from going to areas with obstacles. These are virtual boundaries.
The clearance of this machine is also terrific. It has a 3.3-inch height allowing it under furniture, and it even climbs obstacles.
- It has unmatched cleaning performance.
- It is affordable.
- It can clean under low profile furniture.
- It has a specialized attachment for cleaning pet hair.
- Edge cleaning could be better.
- It cannot get under low furniture.
The reviews of this machine on Amazon don’t inspire confidence in this machine, but I believe the following analysis will.
7. iRobot Roomba 980
If you are on what I consider a generous budget, and you are willing to spend a small fortune on one of the best vacuum cleaners for long hair, then get this iRobot Roomba 980.
First, it has tangle-free brushes, and that helps when it comes to cleaning long hair. You don’t have to remove pet hair again from the brushes. Nevertheless, there is more to this machine. First, it has a high-efficiency filter that traps 99% dirt. There is also the superior navigation. The Roomba 980 makes 60 decisions in a minute, and it will free itself in record time.
As for cleaning other surfaces, you will appreciate that it can clean hard floors and carpeted surfaces. It also has a dirt detect feature that allows it to clean areas that you might have missed.
- It has advanced bordering technology.
- It makes short work of all pet hair.
- It is voice-controlled and works with Alexa or Google Assistant.
- The app is intuitive and makes using the unit a breeze.
- It costs a fortune.
- The navigation could be better, especially with the price.
8. Shark NV752 Upright Vacuum
The next best vacuum cleaner for long hair is the Shark NV752. It is a feature-rich device that you will love. First, you will appreciate the filtration. The unit is completely sealed, ensuring the air goes through the filter. The HEPA filter catches all the dirt, ensuring the air in your home is free of pet odors.
Next, the cleaner head has a powered brush that will pick hair from carpeted areas. The turbo tool, on the other hand, is remarkable for removing pet hair from your upholstered surfaces. As for performance on hard floors, it is beyond impressive thanks to the strong suction.
Maneuverability is another strong point of the Shark NV752. It has advanced swivel steering enabling you to get around furniture with ease. Finally, you will love the versatility. It has adjustable suction, and you can turn off the brushroll to clean hard floors.
- It is powerful.
- It has a hard floor hero tool that picks large and small debris with ease.
- It is a lift-away machine allowing you to clean above-floor areas.
- The suction is too powerful, meaning that the unit gets stuck on shaggy carpets.
- The cleaner head has a snowplowing effect on hard floors.
I welcome you to watch this video to get a better feel of the Shark NV752.
9. Hoover BH50010 Stick Vacuum
The next best vacuum cleaner for long hair is the Hoover BH50010. It is a stick vacuum, and thus it is easily maneuverable. It is also a pick and go machine as it is cordless, and it fits into Hoover’s battery eco-system. That is, it will work with any battery from another Hoover unit. The batteries happen to be fade-free, meaning you can clean at full power even when running low on power.
The Hoover BH50010 is best for cleaning dander and pet hair near baseboards and furniture thanks to the superb edge cleaning. The performance on carpets and hard floors is excellent, but other devices on this list are better.
The BH50010 is also exceptional when it comes to cleaning under furniture. It has an extreme recline handle that allows you to pick hair under furniture.
- As it is a cordless machine, you are not limited by a cord.
- The dirt cup is easy to clean.
- Cleaning edges will be a breeze thanks to the edge brushes.
- It has a large opening for large debris.
- It cannot clean hair on upholstered surfaces as it does not have attachments.
Maintenance is an essential factor to consider when purchasing a vacuum. Here is how to go about maintaining this Hoover.
10. Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction
For area mats and hard floors, it is best if you have a pure suction machinesnd one of the best Miele vacuums. And nothing beats the quality of a Miele vacuum. The Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction is a vacuum that is built to Miele standards but happens to be affordable by Miele standards.
Other than affordability, you will also love the power that it packs. With a 100W vortex motor, it can pick up pretty much all types of hair. And as it does not have a brushroll, there is no risk of a tangled brush. The floor heads are something to marvel at. You can clean hard floors with the soft nylon brushes, and still use it to clean area rugs.
Another exciting feature is the air clean filtration. Miele undoubtedly has the best filtration in vacuums, and you can be sure of superb air quality. Finally, you have an extended 7-yr warranty.
- It has automatic cord rewind.
- It follows you easily.
- It can last for well over 2-decades (durable).
- It has a decent reach.
- It is mighty.
- It lacks an agitating floor head for shaggy carpets.
- Though it has a long reach, the cord is short.
11. Tineco A10 Hero Stick Vacuum
The Tineco is Dyson’s best replacement. Dyson stick vacuums happen to be pricey, and you can have almost the same quality at a lower cost.
Tineco A10 Hero is a cordless machine, and you will appreciate the portability it offers. It can run for 25-minutes before you have to recharge. Also, to reduce wastage of fuel, it has a trigger switch that ensures power is only used when working. Nonetheless, you can lock it in to avoid fatigue.
When it comes to performance on long hair, you will appreciate the high torque brush as it makes short work of deeply embedded hair. Also, it has a mini-turbo brush that comes in handy when dealing with upholstered surfaces. As for filtration, it is 4-staged and ensures none of the hair can get back into the air.
Finally, it has convenience features such as LED lights, and an easy to empty bin.
- It is light at 5-pounds.
- The battery is detachable, allowing you to increase the runtime.
- All attachments click fit.
- It is super quiet.
- It has rubber wheels meaning it will not damage your hard floor surfaces.
- The low profile makes it difficult to clean large debris.
Though Tineco is a marvelous device, it is not as famous as the competition. Learn more about the A10 Hero and A11 Master in the video below.
12. Miele Blizzard CX1 Electro
There are two reasons why this is one of the best vacuum cleaners for long hair. First, the Electro+ cleaner head is remarkable, and there is a powerful vortex motor. The 1200W motor provides quite the power to remove long hair from shaggy carpets. Couple this with a powered brushroll, and cleaning will be a breeze.
I also loved the wands as they have electric components that take power to the head. The redesign resulted in a machine that has better ergonomics. The controls are also right where you need them.
However, the benefits of this machine do not stop there. I loved how it separates fine dust from coarse dust. It prevents the problem of dirt floating around when emptying the canister. Other convenience features include the crushproof hose and the fact that this machine follows you easily.
- The accessories are integrated into the primary unit reducing the likelihood of losing them.
- It has a lifetime HEPA filter.
- It is bagless and, thus, easy to maintain.
- There is suction control for when cleaning shaggy carpets.
- The electro+ head is bulky. You cannot use it for extended periods without fatigue.
- It is pricey.
Miele devices are terrific machines. I cannot put its awesomeness in words, but I believe the video below should help.
13. Bissell Cleanview 1832 Upright Vacuum
Bissell has been on top of its game for well over decades now. They are a respected company thanks to the powerful but affordable machines that they manufacture. The Bissell 1831 is one such device and one that has been classified as the best budget vacuum. It also makes short work of pet hair and had to be on this list of the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
First, you will love the one-pass technology. Though it will not pick all the dirt in one pick, you will appreciate that it can pull hair in fewer passes. The filtration is also excellent for Asthmatic folks.
It traps a lot of the dirt that can affect you.
The bin is another talking point. It is large, allowing you to clean large amounts of dirt without having to empty the bin.
- The suction at the end of the hose is superb.
- It is easily maneuverable.
- It has a slew of accessories, increasing versatility.
- It is a somewhat quiet machine.
- The cord is short, limiting the reach.
- It is not sturdy, and it might tip over.
14. Dyson Ball Animal 2
All Dyson Animal variations are terrific for dealing with pet hair and are equally suitable for long hair. One reason why it is perfect for long hair is the tangle-free turbo brush. The tool has counter-rotating brushes that prevent hair from collecting on any of the brushes. You will also appreciate that all the tools are click-fit and not compression fit like the competition.
The next thing you will love is the cleaner head. It is 13.4-inches long, and you can cover large areas in a few passes. You will also appreciate the active base plate. It moves up and down depending on the surfaces reducing the suction lost. Thus you can pick long hair on hard floors with ease.
The Dyson Animal 2 is quite powerful as well. With such power, cleaning deeply embedded hair will be like a hot knife through butter. Finally, the ball tech places the weight in the lower levels of the device, reducing the strain on your hand.
- It is mighty.
- It is well built and durable.
- It is well-accessorized increasing versatility.
- Cleaning on shaggy carpets will be a challenge owing to the high suction.
- The active head leads to a snowplowing effect.
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is Dyson’s top-of-the-line vacuum. Here are more issues to consider before making a purchase.
15. Stanley Black & Decker FHV1200W
(Best Handheld for Long Hair)
The last item on this list of the best vacuum cleaners for long hair is the Stanley Black & Decker FHV1200W. It is a handheld machine and best for removing long hair on upholstered surfaces. It is especially useful for this task, thanks to the pet-hair tool. It loosens hair and ground-in dirt with ease, after which it is sucked in by the powerful motor.
You will appreciate this machine owing to the ease of use. It is a battery-powered device, and thus you can clean areas without outlets. However, that brings about the issue of runtime. Though the manufacturer states it runs for 12 minutes, most customers claim it can run for up to 20-minutes. I think that is decent enough.
As for filtration, it is not HEPA, but it is good. It is 3-level filtration and will trap a lot of the allergens floating around.
- It has a long flexible hose for cleaning awkward places.
- It is cordless increasing mobility.
- The filter is washable, reducing the cost of consumables.
- As a cordless, you are limited by the runtime and the fact that it takes longer to charge.
Here is how I compiled this list of the best vacuum cleaners for long hair and the things you should consider when on the hunt for one of these bad boys.
Long hair is a pain in the back as it collects effortlessly on any brushroll. Therefore, the first thing to consider should be tangle-free brushroll. Shark has the Zero-M technology, which shreds the hair preventing it from collecting on the beater bar.
Bissell too has anti-hair technology incorporated with their tools, and Dyson has a tangle-free brushroll.
A beater bar is only useful when working on carpets. Suction is of more importance when cleaning hard floors, and you should ensure the machine you purchase is powerful in that area. The suction will help suck long hair from crevices and other tight spots. However, it can only be used for hard-floor cleaning, and it is not ideal for upholstered surfaces.
Powerful suction and tangle-free brushrolls might help you get long fur from carpets and floors, but you need a unique tool for your upholstery. For these surfaces, you need a powered hand tool; one that will deep-clean and remove embedded hair with ease.
I recommend the Dyson tangle-free turbo-tool. Thanks to its counter-rotating brushes, it does not collect pet hair.
Corded vs. Cordless
Yes, you have to pick between a corded and cordless vacuum cleaner. Each has its pros and cons.
Cordless vacuums, on the one hand, allow you to go anywhere. You can clean areas without outlets. Also, you don’t run the risk of tripping over a cord. However, you have to keep an eye on the fuel gauge. Some of these machines only last about 30-minutes before you have to recharge them.
Corded vacuum cleaners for long hair, on the other hand, don’t have a downtime. You can work for hours, but you will be tethered to an outlet. They also happen to be bulkier than their cordless counterparts, although they are more powerful.
Filtration is vital, and you should ensure the vacuum you pick has a HEPA filter. Yes, these vacuums are best for long hair, but that is not the only thing you will be cleaning up. To avoid reintroducing allergens and other pollutants into your home, the vacuum should have a HEPA filter.
Moreover, it should be completely sealed. A sealed unit ensures that all the air passes through the filter before it is released back.
I am just about to wind up, and I think it is best I respond to some of the frequently asked questions about the best vacuum cleaners for long hair.
The best vacuum for long hair is undoubtedly the Shark Apex AZ1002. You can also get the Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G if you are on a budget. If you are feeling generous, then get the Dyson V10 Animal. Though these are my top picks, any other device on this machine will exceed your expectations.
Creating this list of the best vacuum cleaners was a fun experience, and I sure hope you found it interesting. I also hope that one of the machines here piqued your interest. If so, let me know which in the comments below. That’s it, and happy vacuuming.