Should you buy a bagged or bagless vacuum cleaner? And if you were to get the former, which is the best bagged vacuum cleaner? These are some of the few issues you will come across when looking for a vacuum cleaner. Though it seems like too much work, you are in luck as I have made your job uncomplicated with this guide of the best bagged vacuum cleaners.
- What are Bagged Vacuums?
- Benefits of Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
- Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Shops near You
- Best Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Comparison Table 2019
- 15 Best Bagged Vacuum Cleaners 2019: Reviewed and Rated
- 1. Miele Compact C2 Electro+ Canister Vacuum
- 2. Miele Complete C3 Marin
- 3. Bissell 2154A Canister Vacuum
- 4. Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner
- 5. Kenmore 31150 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 6. Oreck Magnesium LW1500RS
- 7. Panasonic MC-UG471 Upright Vacuum
- 8. Metropolitan Vac ‘N’ Blo Compact Vacuum
- 9. Sanitaire SC888K Commercial Vacuum
- 10. Bissell BigGreen Commercial Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- 11. ProTeam Provac CN Canister Vacuum
- 12. SEBO 9587AM Automatic X5 Upright Vacuum
- 13. Oreck XL2100RHS Bagged Vacuum
- 14. Prolux 7000 LED Bagged Vacuum Cleaner
- 15. Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Canister Vacuum
- Disadvantages of Bagged Vacuums
- Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
What are Bagged Vacuums?
Well, these are machines that have a fabric or paper bag in the main compartment. The bag is for holding dirt/debris which you later dispose. The bag also acts as a filter allowing air to pass through but trapping the large debris. Though you have to buy the bags, increasing the cost of consumables these machines do have their pros.
Benefits of Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
Bagged vacuums have a ton of pros that will benefit you. Here are a few to give you a feel of these machines.
- Hygiene – Bagged vacuum cleaners are known to be quite hygienic. Unlike bagless machines where you have to run your finger on the inside of the canister to remove all the dirt, you can dispose of the trash together with the bag. Moreover, debris is ever in a closed bag, and it will stay inside when cleaning and emptying. Finally, you don’t have to clean the filter as often.
- Superior Air Quality – Given that the bag acts as a filter, the vacuum ends up trapping more than bagless machines. The bag happens to be quite useful, and the air quality is just superb when coupled with the filters.
- Requires Less Maintenance – This is not a given, but bagged vacuums often need less maintenance compared to their bagless counterparts. First, bags can hold more dirt and don’t require opening as much. Also, seeing as the filter is built into the bag, it does not need to be cleaned that often.
- Less Mess During Disposal – Have you tried disposing dirt from a bagless vacuum? Well, it is not a pleasant experience. First, dust and allergens are reintroduced into the atmosphere, and you have to clean the stuck-on debris (often with your hands). Bagged vacuums have none of these issues.
Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Shops near You
I think the benefits above are reasons enough for you to get one of these bad boys. As such, here is how you find an outlet in your area.
Online happens to be the best place to find an outlet. Typing “the best bagged vacuum cleaner shops near me,” on Google will return a list of the best shops rated and reviewed. Here are other terms you can use:
- Bagged vacuum cleaner shops in my area.
- Bagged vacuum cleaner shops in my location.
These search terms are specific, but there are instances where you will not get an exclusive bagged vacuum cleaner shop. In such cases, you can search for “best vacuum cleaner shops near me”. I am certain one of these outlets will have a machine that meets your needs.
Best Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Comparison Table 2019
Here is some information to help you get a feel of these devices. I welcome you back to learn more about these machines.
|Name||Weight in Lbs.||Cord Length in Ft.||Dimensions in Inches||HEPA||Warranty|
|Miele Compact C2 Electro+ Canister Vacuum - Best Overall||18.7||33||16.7 X 9.6 X 9.1||Yes||7|
|Miele Complete C3 Marin - Best Splurge||15.4||22||19.5 x 11.2 X 8.9||Yes||7|
|Bissell 2154A Canister Vacuum - Budget Pick||8||16||15.6 X 11 X 9||No||1|
|Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner - Best for Soft Carpets||10.5||35||11.5 X 14 X43.5||Yes||5|
|Kenmore 31150 Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best for Pets||21||35||14.2 X 13.8 X 45.8||Yes||1|
|Oreck Magnesium LW1500RS - Best Lightweight||7.7||30||12 X 10.5 X 47.75||Yes||7|
|Panasonic MC-UG471 Upright Vacuum - Best Heavy-Duty Vacuum||17||24||12.5 X 15 X 44.5||Yes||1|
|Metropolitan Vac ‘N’ Blo Compact Vacuum - Best for Car Detailing||12.5||12||17 X 7||No||5|
|Sanitaire SC888K Commercial Vacuum - Best Commercial Bagged Vacuum||18||50||18 X 23 X 9||_||2|
|Bissell BigGreen Commercial Canister Vacuum Cleaner - Best Quiet Vacuum Cleaner||18.9||50||15.35 X 13.8||No||1|
|PoTeam Provac CN Canister Vacuum - Best for Capacity||12||50||31 X 16 X 8||No||5-yr Motor Warranty|
|SEBO 9587AM Automatic X5 Upright Vacuum - Best for Edge-Cleaning||25||40||28 X 15.8 X 9.2||Yes||Lifetime Belt Warranty|
|Oreck XL2100RHS Bagged Vacuum - Best for Ease of Use||8.2||35||35 X 13 X 6||No||1|
|Prolux 7000 LED Bagged Vacuum Cleaner - Best for Carpets||19||30||43 X 14 X 13||Yes||7|
|Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Canister Vacuum - Best for Above Floor Cleaning||8.3||35||20.94 X 7.75 X 12.5||No||2|
15 Best Bagged Vacuum Cleaners 2019: Reviewed and Rated
Here is what we have been waiting. Enjoy, and let me know what you thought in the comments below.
And I welcome you to read this best shark vacuums article if you are looking for bagless vacuums.
1. Miele Compact C2 Electro+ Canister Vacuum
Miele is a remarkable company, and this machine from their compact series had to top this list of the best bagged vacuum cleaners. Other than using diaper thick bags which trap all dirt, Miele has also incorporated the Miele Airclean System to protect the machine and ensure superior air quality. The system includes the bag, a HEPA filter, and a pre-motor filter.
Working with the Compact C2 is a breeze, whether on carpets or hard floors. First, it is lightweight and compact, allowing you to get into tight spots. It follows you owing to the caster wheels and has a powerful motor making short work of any dirt. The vortex is remarkable, and without getting into the technicalities of the motor, it happens to be robust and efficient.
- It cleans hard floors and carpets thanks to the two cleaner heads included
- The suction is adjustable
- The cleaning height is adjustable
- It has a storage on the back for better storage
- It is pricey
The Miele Electro+ compact C2 is regarded as one of the best bagged vacuum cleaners, and here is a video explaining that.
2. Miele Complete C3 Marin
The Miele Complete C3 Marin is the Miele Compact C2’s bigger brother literally and figuratively. It happens to be larger, and it costs more.
First, you will love the filtration; Miele truly excels in this area. The three-layer dust bag, the HEPA filter, and the primary filter ensure that the air in your home is clean and that the motor is safe from dust. The unit happens to be sealed, ensuring that all the air entering passes through the filters. Cool, right?
As for cleaner heads, it retails with two; one for carpets and one for hard floors. The Electrobrush which is best for rugs, has a brushroll that can be turned off, allowing you to clean hard floors. Finally, it has variable suction and has a reasonable number of accessories.
- The tools store onboard reducing the likelihood of losing them
- It has a bumper to protect against bumps
- It follows easily
- It has a retractable cord
- It is well built using durable plastic
- It is pricey
- The Electrobrush happens to be weighty
- It has a lengthy warranty
I would have loved for you to watch a more extensive review, for this device is beyond amazing. However, here is a short one that should give you a better feel.
Here are the best Miele vacuums if you are interested in that. Also, this is a pricey machine and you should take a ton of care to reduce the likelihood of damaing it. You can access the specification and operating details here.
3. Bissell 2154A Canister Vacuum
Bissell has been around for well over a century, and they have a wealth of experience when it comes to vacuum cleaners; experience they have put into making the Bissell 2054A. This machine is a fraction of the cost of other devices on this list and as such had to be on this list of the best bagged vacuum cleaners.
The Bissell 2054A is a lightweight machine and has a convenient carry handle for carrying it up and down a flight of stairs. As for power, it is a suction powered device and one I recommend for use on hard floors and low pile carpets. As for the power cord, it is 16-ft which is short, but decent given the price. The cable happens to be auto-rewind, which is a feature I did not expect at this price point.
Though it has a short cord, it does have a 6-ft telescopic wand which allows you to adjust your reach. Finally, it has 2-stage filtration, which though not the best, it is enough.
- It is affordable
- It is lightweight
- It has variable suction for different surfaces
- It has a short reach, and the filtration could be better
As a budget option, I am sure you are wondering how it performs and how it compares to other machines. Here is a comparison video to put you at ease.
Nevertheless, it is best for hard floors.
4. Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Soft Carpets)
Cleaning shag carpets is tasking. The fiber is easily sucked into the machine, making it difficult to move most vacuums. Well, welcome the Soniclean soft carpet cleaner.
Thanks to the EZ-push adjustable vent system, the Soniclean is easy to push on soft carpets. The device also happens to be easy to be gentle on carpets relying on a soft brushroll instead of the standard beater bar. The patented sonic tech loosens deeply embedded dirt without damaging the soft fiber, which is then sucked thanks to the strong suction. Finally, it has large wheels allowing it “float” on carpets.
The reach of the Soniclean happens to be reasonable thanks to a 35-ft cord. It also has some fancy features such as the jam sensor that shuts it off in case of clogs. Finally, it can lay flat, enabling you to clean deep under furniture.
- You can turn the brushroll on and off to clean hard floors or carpets
- It has a reliable bag full indicator
- The bags are HEPA bags resulting in superior indoor air quality
- It has a lengthy 5-yr warranty
- There are some complaints about the motor. It shuts down unexpectedly
Soniclean, for me, is a remarkable device; it is spectacular, and gentle on your carpets. Watch this video to see the machine in use.
Seeing as this is a somewhat different machine from the rest here, I recommend reading the manuals to get a better understanding of the machine.
5. Kenmore 31150 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Pets)
The Kenmore 31150 is the best for pets and carpets. It has a powered cleaner head, and it will pick large debris and deeply embedded pet hair. You can adjust the brushroll to 5-different heights allowing you to clean different pile carpets. However, you cannot shut it down to clean hard floors.
The Kenmore happens to be a powerful machine. First, it has a 2-motor system and an inducer that gives you more power than an upright vacuum. It also has a dirt sensor which sees dirt that you cannot. The sensor lights up when it senses dirt and only shuts off when done cleaning.
You will also appreciate the reach. With a 35-ft cord, you can clean large areas without having to change outlets. It has a HEPA filter that ensures indoor air quality. Finally, it has a pet handi-mate for removing pet hair from upholstery.
- It has fade-free suction allowing you to clean even when the bag is full
- It has a telescopic handle for customizable reach
- It is a bulky machine
- It does not swivel, making it difficult to maneuver
Here are other vacuums that are great for pets. Furthermore, here is a video review of the Kenmore 31150 to help you understand why it is a popular vacuum.
6. Oreck Magnesium LW1500RS
At 7.7-pounds, the Oreck LW1500RS is the lightest upright vacuum you will come across. You will use it for hours without fatigue, and you can clean large areas without changing outlets thanks to the 30-ft cord. And the features don’t stop there.
The LW1500RS has two-speed settings for demanding jobs and for cleaning delicate carpets. It has the Carpet and Rug Institute Seal of Approval, and I recommend it after the Soniclean for carpets.
Another exciting feature is the low-profile design and the fact that it can lie down. This allows you to clean under furniture. It also swivels and thus is ideal for its maneuverability.
The Oreck LW1500RS also has side brushes, and you can use it for edge cleaning, especially near baseboards. Finally, it is durable and has a lengthy 7-yr warranty.
- It has large wheels, which are suitable for moving on carpets
- It is easy to assemble
- It is reasonably quiet when vacuuming
- Maneuvers around furniture
- The bag is easy to remove
- It is lightweight
- It does not have accessories and thus cannot be used for above-floor cleaning
Even the best bagged vacuum cleaners will breakdown. Here is a video to help you repair and tune up your Oreck LW1500RS.
7. Panasonic MC-UG471 Upright Vacuum
(Best Heavy-Duty Vacuum)
There are a few reasons why this Panasonic vacuum is the best for heavy-duty tasks. First, it is a well-built machine, and you can trust that it will last. Durability means it can withstand abuse.
Other than the build, it has a motor protection system that ensures all the dirt and debris ends up in the bag, and none goes to the fan or the motor.
As for the cleaning performance, you will appreciate that it has a 15-inch cleaning path. You clean large areas in a few passes. The cleaning head also happens to have automatic height adjustment.
The front nozzle floats allowing you to move from fluffy carpets to cleaning hard floors.
Panasonic’s filtration is unmatched. It is a HEPA filter, and you can be confident that the air quality in your home will be unmatched. As for accessories, they will be just enough but not for detailed work.
- It is sturdy
- The suction is powerful
- The cord is retractable for smoother operation
- It has headlights for cleaning dark areas
- It is weighty
- The cord is short at 24-ft
Here is the Panasonic’s filtration put to the test to see how it holds up.
8. Metropolitan Vac ‘N’ Blo Compact Vacuum
(Best for Car Detailing)
The next item on this best bagged vacuum cleaner list is the Metropolitan Vac ‘N’ Blo. If you are looking for versatility, then invest in this machine.
First, the device has 13-attachments which will come in handy when detailing. The flexible hose allows you to get around the inside of the car. The wands increase the reach and will enable you to clean difficult to access areas. You can also use it as a blower. Cool, right?
Other than car and boat detailing, you will also appreciate that you can use this as a spot cleaner and for detailing work inside the house. The bare floor performance is exceptional thanks to the strong suction. The 4-HP motor gives this device quite the punch.
As for carpet performance, I recommend it for spot cleaning on low-pile carpets.
- It is a durable machine, thanks to the steel build
- It is compact, and you can carry it to use on the road
- It is versatile, acting like a vacuum and a blower
- It is pricey for detailing work
- It has a short 12-ft cord
- The attachments are plastic and lack durability
9. Sanitaire SC888K Commercial Vacuum
(Best Commercial Bagged Vacuum)
I had to include a commercial vacuum on this best bagged vacuum cleaner review, and that has to be the Sanitaire SC888K. From the build to the filtration, it has all features that make commercial cleaning a breeze.
First, it has a long 50-ft cord that allows you to clean large areas without having to change outlets. It also has a decent cleaning path at 12-inches. As for durability, you will appreciate that the hood, base plate, and handle are made of durable steel.
Something that piqued my interest is the quick-Kleen feature. The feature allows you to access the fan for cleaning. Furthermore, the brushroll is all metal, and it , with ball bearing. The bristle strips happen to be replaceable meaning you don’t have to purchase a new device due to wear and tear.
- The brushroll height is adjustable to 6-levels
- The bag is large and can hold 6.1 quarts of dirt
- It has a furniture guard to protect your furniture
- It has easy-roll wheels
- It does not have attachments, so no vacuuming edges or above-floor areas
Here is how the Bissell SC888K compares to other machines when it comes to cleaning large debris.
10. Bissell BigGreen Commercial Canister Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Quiet Vacuum Cleaner)
The next best bagged vacuum cleaner is this canister vacuum from Bissell. Bagged vacuums have always been quiet when compared to their bagless counterparts, but even then this canister vacuum is silent even when compared to other bagged machines. At 60 decibels, you can use it areas where silence is paramount.
This Bissell is best for cleaning hard floors and low pile carpets. It has one hard floor attachment tool, which is terrific thanks to the powerful suction. You will also appreciate the long 50-ft cord as it gives you unprecedented reach. The hose also happens to be exceedingly long at 8-ft. Add the wands to the hose, and you have incredible range.
As for the filtration, it is decent as it is 3-stage filtration. It traps a ton of dirt, ensuring the air in the house is clean.
- It has massive bag capacity at 7.3L
- It is light allowing you to work extended periods with ease
- It has caster wheels increasing maneuverability
- It has a storage clip for holding the
- It has not been tested, and one cannot know the durability
- You cannot use it on shag carpets
11. ProTeam Provac CN Canister Vacuum
(Best for Capacity)
ProTeam specializes in manufacturing commercial vacuums, so the Provac CN was always going to have a large capacity. At 10-quarts, it can hold a lot of dirt without the need to empty.
This canister vacuum is designed for restaurants thanks to the restaurant kit, though you can use it in other areas. It is remarkable for use on hard floors though you can use it on low-pile carpets.
The durability of this machine is impressive. It is designed with few moving parts. That is, it does not have belts, and neither does it have a beater bar. With fewer moving parts, you increase the durability of the machine as you reduce the likelihood of wear and tear. Finally, it has unmatched filtration. With 4-level filtration, it can trap a lot of the dirt resulting in better indoor air quality.
- It is tough increasing the longevity
- It is loaded with accessories increasing the versatility
- It is fast when it comes to vacuuming
- It is pricey
- It has a long, 50-ft cord
Here is how to maintain your Provac CN so that it can serve you for more extended periods.
12. SEBO 9587AM Automatic X5 Upright Vacuum
(Best for Edge Cleaning)
If you are willing to spend what I consider a small fortune on vacuums, then get the SEBO 9587AM. However, I find it worth the price, and it had to be on this list of the best bagged vacuum cleaners.
I loved that this is an automatic machine and you will love those aspects too. First, it has an electronic controller that calculates the resistance and adjusts the brushroll accordingly. Seeing as this is the Automatic X5, it has two-sided edge cleaning and an extensive cleaning width at 14.5-inches.
Another remarkable feature of the 9587Am is that it has an active head that adjusts to the different areas. You can move from hardfloors to carpets without changing the brushroll. The features don’t stop there. The obstruction light and automatic shut-off protect your motor and brushroll in case of a clog.
- The wheels are rubber-coated protecting your surfaces
- It has a worn brush-light alerting you when you need to change the brushroll
- It has a bag-full indicator
- It can lay flat allowing you to clean under furniture
- It is pricey
- It is not aesthetically pleasing for the price
I have come across great vacuums, and the SEBO X5 9587AM is up there with the best. Here is a short video of what you will be getting.
Seeing as the SEBO might be a new machine to most of you, here is a manual to learn how to use this machine.
13. Oreck XL2100RHS Bagged Vacuum
(Best for Ease of Use)
Compared to the Oreck LW1500RS, the XL2100RHS is underwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, it is still remarkable enough to be on this list of the best bagged vacuum cleaners but it cannot a candle against the other vacuum.
I liked that it is affordable and it happens to be a fraction of the cost of most machines on this list. It is also light and has a unique helping hand handle increasing the ease of use. The cord is also decently long at 35-ft. You can clean substantial areas without having to change outlets.
As for edge cleaning, it is pretty decent with side brushes. The plastic squeegee on the bottom allows you to pick dirt on hard floors without scattering. Finally, it has an extra belt which is unavailable on most machines here.
- It is easy to use as it is lightweight
- It has a large bag
- It has a non-marring bumper that protects your furniture
- The belt is accessible should you need to change it
- The filtration is bad
- As an ORECK, it cannot be used for above-floor cleaning
- It is limited when it comes to cleaning large debris
14. Prolux 7000 LED Bagged Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Carpets)
The next best bagged vacuum cleaner is this Prolux 7000. It is the younger brother of the Prolux 9000 and costs just as much to bring home. It has decent power at 125CFM thanks to the 12 amp motor.
I recommend the Prolux 7000 for carpets thanks to the steel brushroll. It is durable and will withstand any abuse. The Prolux 7000 is not a competitor of the Soniclean as the latter is for soft carpets. Other than the steel brushroll, you will love that this machine is sealed. In short, all the dirt sucked in will be directed to the bag and none will get back into the air or get into the motor.
The Prolux 7000 has HEPA filtration resulting in better air quality and has onboard storage as well.
- The vacuum has excellent suction
- It has a remarkable 7-yr motor warranty and a decent 3-yr warranty for the rest of the machine
- It is difficult to assemble
- The post-motor filter cannot be washed
- It is mainly plastic and thus will not last long
Here is a short video review of the Prolux 7000 to give you a better feel.
15. Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Canister Vacuum
(Best for Above Floor Cleaning)
The Hoover CH30000 has some impressive features for the price. First, you have to carry it on your shoulders ghostbusters style, but that should not be a problem seeing as it is lightweight. It is 8.3-pounds, and you will not feel it when cleaning. It is compact, and you can work in tight spaces with ease. Moreover, storing it will be effortless.
As a bagged vacuum, it works with a 3-layer bag which is reusable. As for the tools included, the machine has a crevice tool, a wall brush, a furniture nozzle, and a floor nozzle. It also has two chrome steel wands for the reach required in above-floor cleaning. As for the cord, it is decent at 33-ft, allowing you to clean reasonable areas without changing outlets.
- It has a nice long power cable
- It has powerful suction
- It is reasonably priced
- The dust bag is durable and reusable, reducing the cost of consumables
- May lead to shoulder pains after extended periods of use
The Hoover CH30000 is an interesting machine and you should watch this to know why.
Furthermore, learn how to operate the machine with this manual.
Disadvantages of Bagged Vacuums
Though these machines are amazing, even the best bagged vacuum cleaners have their shortcomings. Here are some of the cons.
- Consumables – One drawback of most bagged vacuums is the cost of consumables and in this case bags. This issue gets worse if you are using an old machine. Finding replacement bags for older devices is ever a hassle.
- Decreased Performance – The performance of bagged vacuums often drops as the bag nears its filling point. Some manufacturers have solved this issue, but most are yet to find a way to maintain suction. Furthermore, it is difficult to tell when the bag is nearly full, unlike with the bagless counterparts.
Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
Here is how I picked these devices and some of the things you should consider when on the hunt for a bagged vacuum.
- Type of Vacuum – If you were keen, you should have realized that this list is made up of canister and upright vacuums. Therefore, your choice for the best upright vacuum cleaner is limited to these two types of machines. While canister vacuums are light and easy to use, they will be difficult to familiarize with as most of us are used to upright machines.
Uprights, on the other hand, happen to be burdensome and time-consuming unlike canister vacuums.
- Bag Design and Capacity – The bags in these vacuum cleaners happen to be crucial. It not only holds dirt but also acts as a filter. Ensure the machine you are investing in uses HEPA bags. I recommend Miele thanks to the bags, but these might be off the reach for most people. Also, check the capacity of the bags. You want a bag that can hold more dirt as it reduces the number of times you have to empty. Finally, try and get a machine with reusable bags to reduce maintenance costs.
- Adjustable Suction – Adjustable function is one feature that most people don’t appreciate. For versatility, for resourcefulness, and to clean different surfaces, ensure the machine has adjustable suction. With this, you can clean drapes as quickly as you clean hard floors. You can pick large debris with as much ease as cleaning delicate surfaces.
- Cord Length – Bagged vacuum cleaners happen to be corded, and as such, you need to consider the length of the cord. I recommend getting a machine with at least 30-ft. It is better if you invested in one with 50-ft reach, but 30-ft will be enough. However, some of these best bagged vacuum cleaners are remarkable machines with the simple shortcoming of a short cord. Don’t let that be a deal-breaker as you can get an extension cord.
- Tasks – You also have to stop and consider the areas you will be cleaning. If you are working on a soft carpet, then get the Soniclean vacuum cleaner. If the jobs involve detailing, then get a machine that can do that. For hard floors, invest in a machine which relies on pure suction or one with a hard floor cleaner head. You can also invest in a device where you can turn off the brushroll.
I am sure you have a ton of questions about these machines. Here are some answers to those questions.
Bagged vacuum cleaners are slowly being phased out by bagless machines, but they are still remarkable devices. Offering superior filtration, and mess-free disposal, they are without a doubt superb devices.
I sure hope that this review has helped you find a reliable bagged vacuum cleaner or at least narrowed your search. If it has, let me know in the comments below.