Cats, unlike dogs, are low-maintenance pets. While you have to take a dog out several times a day, cats don’t need that much attention provided they are well-fed. Also, unlike dogs which have to be taken outside to do their business, lest they soil your carpets, cats only need a litter box that you can scoop a week thrice.
Cats, though, still track the cat litter onto other surfaces, and not all vacuum scan clean cat litter. Well, I would forgive you for thinking any vacuum cleaner is up to the task, but some would be easily damaged. You need the best vacuum cleaner for pet litter to keep your home in top condition and to ensure the device lasts long.
- Why You Need Cat Litter Vacuum
- Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
- Quick Answer: Best Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Litter
- Best Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Litter Comparison Table 2020
- 15 Best Vacuum Cleaner for Cat Litter: Reviewed and Rated
- 1. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away NV752
- 2. Severin Nonstop Bagless Vacuum
- 3. Shark Rocket UV330 Deluxe Pro
- 4. Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute
- 5. ILIFE V3s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- 6. Dirt Devil UD79355B Bagless Vacuum
- 7. Bissell 9595A Cleanview Bagless Vacuum
- 8. Bissell 81L2A Vacuum
- 9. Shark Navigator NV356E Upright Vacuum
- 10. Hoover UH70210 T-Series Upright Vacuum
- 11. Bissell 1954 Cordless Vacuum
- 12. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 33A1
- 13. iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum
- 14. Eureka Mighty Mite 3684F
- 15. New Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog
- Buying Guide
- How to Prevent Litter Tracking
Why You Need Cat Litter Vacuum
Other than keeping your house in top condition, below are more reasons as to why you need a vacuum for pet litter.
- Clay Granules – Similar to rocks, these hard clay granules can damage any standard vacuum in record time. Cat litter has many of these granules, and they travel at high speed inside your gadget and can destroy some of the delicate components of your machine. Specialized machines, on the other hand, are built to withstand such abuse without sustaining damage.
- Mold – Cat litter is an excellent environment for mold to develop. With a regular vacuum, there is always the danger of vacuuming the litter plus some damp items resulting in the growth of mold. You can blow the mold back into your home, and this is especially dangerous for Asthmatic folks.
- Odor – Normal vacuums will not eliminate the smell from the litter or soiled litter. These best vacuums for cat litter, though, will trap the odor and ensure the air in your home is clean.
- Dust – Cat litter and litter are inseparable. Dust happens to be a threat to any motor, and it will leave you vacuumless before you have the chance to savor your vacuum. Specialized machines, on the other hand, ensure the dust does not find its way to the motor.
Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
Let’s face it. It is unlikely that you know where to get the best vacuum cleaner for cat litter. Moreover, I would be deceiving if I said, I know where you can get one of these bad boys. What I do know, though, is how you can find a near-perfect outlet.
First, I implore you to consult that colleague who has one of these devices. It figures that they had done their due diligence before purchasing the machine. You can also take your search online with the following search terms. “Best vacuum cleaner shop near me”, or “best vacuum cleaner shop in Kansas.
Quick Answer: Best Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Litter
Though all the machines on this list will make quick work of cat litter, these have the edge over the rest.
- Best Overall: Shark Rotator NV752 – It has superb filtration, and the power will get cat litter from the tightest spots.
- Runner-Up: Severin Non-Stop Bagless Vacuum – A device I recommend for the quality.
- Budget Pick: Dirt Devil UD79355B – Rarely do you get this quality and performance at such a low price. You should consider this if you are on a budget.
- Best Value for Money: Dyson Cyclone V10 Overall – Though it is slightly pricey, I feel you will enjoy the quality, and you will get a superb machine.
- Best Splurge: New Miele C3 Cat and Dog – Pricey is the only way to describe this machine. But you will be getting one of the best Miele vacuums.
- Best Stick Vacuum for Cat Litter: Shark Rocket UV330 – If you are looking for a stick vacuum for light cleaning tasks, I recommend you try this machine.
- Best for Cleaning around Obstacles: Bissell 81L2A
- Best Robot Vacuum for Cat Litter: Ilife V3S Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Best Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Litter Comparison Table 2020
|Name||Bag||HEPA||Cord||Cord Length/ Runtime||Weight in Lbs.||Warranty in Yrs|
|Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away NV752 - Best Overall||No||Yes||Yes||30-ft||15.4||5|
|Severin Nonstop Bagless Vacuum - Runner-Up||No||Yes||Yes||20-ft||-||3|
|Shark Rocket UV330 Deluxe Pro - Best Stick Vacuum for Cat Litter||No||No||Yes||30-ft||<10||5|
|Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute - Best Value for Money||No||Yes||No||60-mins||6.68||2|
|ILIFE V3s Robot Vacuum Cleaner - Best Robot Vacuum for Cat Litter||No||No||No||90-100 mins||4.5||1|
|Dirt Devil UD79355B Bagless Vacuum - Budget Pick||No||No||Yes||25-ft||10.8||2|
|Bissell 9595A Cleanview Bagless Vacuum||No||No||Yes||30-ft||15||2|
|Bissell 81L2A Vacuum - Best for Cleaning Around Obstacles||No||No||Yes||20-ft||8||1|
|Shark Navigator NV356E Upright Vacuum||No||Yes||Yes||30-ft||13.7||1|
|Hoover UH70210 T-Series Upright Vacuum||No||No||Yes||25-ft||<19||2|
|Bissell 1954 Cordless Vacuum||No||Yes||No||25-mins||5.8||2|
|Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 33A1 - Best Handheld||No||_||Yes||16-ft||5||1|
|iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum||No||No||No||60-min||7.8||1|
|Eureka Mighty Mite 3684F||Yes||Yes||Yes||20-ft||<9||1|
|New Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog - Best Splurge||Yes||Yes||Yes||20-ft||12||7|
15 Best Vacuum Cleaner for Cat Litter: Reviewed and Rated
It is about time we get into the core of this piece. Though the comparison table above will give you a feel of these devices, I implore you to read the fine print below.
1. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away NV752
With its superb performance on hard floors and carpets, its incredible filtration, and its maneuverability, the NV752 is undoubtedly the best vacuum cleaner for cat litter.
First, it has superb filtration, ensuring that none of the litter dust makes it back into the house. It is sealed, and all the air sucked in will have to pass through the HEPA filter before it is discharged back into the house.
You will also appreciate the cleaner head. On carpets, you can use the brushroll, but you can easily change to hard floor settings, thanks to the fingertip controls. Furthermore, you can use the hard floor hero, which has better coverage on surfaces such as tiles.
Finally, there is the maneuverability this machine offers. It not only works as an upright, but you can use it as a powered lift away to clean pet litter under furniture, and as a canister vacuum for above-floor cleaning.
- It has a slew of accessories.
- It has LED lights for cleaning dark areas.
- It has a substantial bin.
- It is a mighty vacuum.
- It is bulky.
- Swivel steering could be smoother.
You should learn a little bit more about the Shark NV752 before you set out to purchase it. Here is how it compares to the Dyson Animal 2.
2. Severin Nonstop Bagless Vacuum
The next item on this list of the best vacuum cleaners for cat litter is the Severin bagless vacuum. Ever since manufacturing went to the east, there has been a slight decline in quality. Well, that is not the case with the Severin. Made to German standards, you can be confident that you are receiving a quality machine at an affordable price.
Starting with the filtration, I believe you will love the HEPA filter as it will trap 99.97% of cat litter dust. This is especially helpful in houses with asthmatic folks. Next, you will appreciate that it is a canister vacuum, and thus you can get to cat litter dust under furniture or above-floor areas.
As for the accessories, there is an upholstery tool, a crevice tool for those tight spots, and some extension hoses for extending the cleaning reach.
- It is reasonably quiet at 77 decibels.
- Emptying the dirt is a walk in the park.
- The cord is retractable and quite flexible.
- It is built to German standards, and you can be sure of the quality.
- It has a short cord.
- Emptying the bin will leave a cloud of dust.
Severin is not as popular as other machines on this list, but the review below will give you a better feel of the machine.
3. Shark Rocket UV330 Deluxe Pro
(Best Stick Vacuum for Cat Litter)
If you are looking for an undemanding device, a vacuum that you can pick and go provided it is attached to an outlet, then get the Shark UV330. This is a corded stick vacuum that is best for light-cleaning tasks.
First, you will appreciate the different configurations you get with the UV330. You can use it as a stick, and as a handheld. In stick mode, you can use the roller brush, which is remarkable for agitating carpets or the hard floor genie, which is a suction only tool. You will also appreciate that it has a long cord increasing the reach. With such versatility, you can be confident that you get to clean all cat litter.
Next, you will appreciate all the accessories that make cleaning a breeze. I am talking of the crevice tool, the upholstery tool, and seeing as you are cleaning after pets, the motorized tool is helpful for hair.
- It has a HEPA filter that will trap all the litter dust.
- It folds over for straightforward storage.
- It has an accessory bag, which reduces the likelihood of losing your tools.
- Its performance on shaggy carpets is wanting.
- It does not pick dirt on the backpass.
There is a lot to be fond of about the Shark UV330. The video below has all the reasons why this is one of the best vacuum cleaners for cat litter.
4. Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute
(Best Value for Money)
Dyson manufactures some of the best vacuums. The only reason this is not top of this best vacuum cleaners for cat litter list is the price is a bit high. It is best for people who are on a generous budget. As a cordless machine, you will appreciate the runtime. You can use it for 60-minutes before you have to recharge. The runtime though drops when using it in max mode.
The trigger switch, on the other hand, ensures that you only use the fuel when cleaning. But what makes this best for cat litter? First, there is the durability. Dyson vacuums are durable, and the cat litter will not affect this machine.
Moreover, the V10 Absolute happens to be a powerful machine and will leave your carpets and hard floors in immaculate conditions. Finally, the HEPA filter ensures no dust is released back into the house.
- It is robust.
- It is well-accessorized increasing versatility.
- It is light.
- It converts into a handheld for cleaning above-floor areas.
- It has wall-mount storage.
- The charging time is still long.
- It is a pricey machine.
You will be spending a small fortune on this machine, and you should know what to do should it clog. Here is how you fix it.
5. ILIFE V3s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Robot Vacuum for Cat Litter)
Robot vacuums are not cheap. Given the ingenuity that goes into these machines, you can expect most to set you back a small fortune. So, imagine my shock when I came across an affordable robot vacuum and one that qualifies to be one of the best vacuum cleaners for cat litter.
The ILIFE V3S has three cleaning modes. You can set it to clean the whole floor, spot cleaning, and you can command it to clean just the edges. It approaches the baseboards gingerly, a feature only found in premium robot vacuums. Its cleaning prowess will blow you away, especially on hard floors.
Seeing as it does not have a beater bar, I recommend it tiled, laminate, and hardwood floors. It is a tank, thanks to the power it packs, and it will pick up most of the dirt with ease. Litter granules and trash should not be a problem.
- It is affordable.
- It does not clog as it does not have a beater bar.
- It is mighty.
- It can only clean hard floors.
6. Dirt Devil UD79355B Bagless Vacuum
For an affordable machine for cat litter, look no further than the Dirt Devil UD70355B. Dirt Devil is renowned for making quality but inexpensive machines, and this vacuum is no exception.
One thing that piqued my interest about this machine is the swivel steering. It makes getting around obstacles a walk in the park. You will also appreciate the no-loss suction technology as then you can clean even when the bin is nearly full.
Deeply-embedded cat litter will not be a problem wither. The brushroll will agitate it out of the carpet rather quickly. The brushroll has automatic height adjustment for cleaning carpets from low-pile through medium to high-pile carpets.
As for above-floor cleaning, this machine has a hose and extension wands for such tasks. It also includes a turboclaw, which will come in handy when removing pet hair.
- It is affordable.
- It is lightweight.
- It is mighty and can deep clean carpets.
- The performance on carpets is superb.
- Long hair does get tangled in the brushroll. To avoid such problems, here are some vacuums with tangle-free brushrolls.
Though this is a great device, it is not exempt from some of the problems associated with vacuums. Watch the video below to learn how to fix it should it overheat and stop.
7. Bissell 9595A Cleanview Bagless Vacuum
Bissell is renowned for its affordable but premium quality vacuums. The Bissell 9595A is no exception to the rule, and you will love its performance when it comes to cleaning cat litter. With its one-pass technology, it will pick up dirt in fewer passes than the competition. When it comes to above-floor cleaning, you will appreciate the wand and the included tools.
And speaking of tools, the Bissell 9595A has a few. I feel that it should have more, but these, I believe, will be enough. First, there is the turbo brush, which is ideal for eliminating cat hair, the crevice tool for removing cat litter in tight spots, and the dusting brush.
The filtration system also piqued my interest. It might not be HEPA, but it does trap a lot of allergens, and it is ideal for such cases where you are dealing with cat litter dust.
- It is affordable.
- It is versatile and will clean above-floor areas with ease.
- The bin is large and transparent.
- The height of the beater bar is adjustable.
- The hose happens to be stiff and slightly short.
- You cannot use it on hard floors as you cannot turn-off the beater bar.
8. Bissell 81L2A Vacuum
(Best for Cleaning Around Obstacles)
If you are comfortable being limited to floor cleaning, or you are looking for a machine that excels at hard floor tasks, then the Bissell 81L2A is the machine for you. Cleaning cat litter will be a breeze as will any other type of dirt.
First, the cleaner head has a unique v-shape that will help with the granules as well as large dirt. The shape directs all large debris to the wide opening at the center. The V-shape also helps when it comes to cleaning around furniture feet and edges.
Though one might be tempted to use this machine on carpets, it is best for hard floors. It does not have a brushroll, which is necessary for cleaning carpets. In its place we have a squeegee that ensures suction is not lost. It helps with picking the fine dust associated with cat litter.
- It is affordable.
- It is light, and you can use it for hours with ease.
- It swivels steers; thus, it is maneuverable.
- It is limited to cleaning hard floors. You cannot use it for above-floor areas or carpets.
Given that the Bissell 81L2A is different from most vacuums, you should then know what you are getting before making a purchase. Here is a review you should watch to get a better feel.
The next best vacuum cleaner for cat litter is for people who are more interested in the performance than the aesthetics of the machine. The Shark NV356E is one mighty piece of equipment, but it is not easy on the eye. Nevertheless, if you are willing to compromise on that, you will have a beast in your house.
Trapping the fine cat litter dust is effortless for this machine. It has a HEPA filter, and we all know what that can do. As for power, few devices can compete with this machine. It has Shark’s no-lose suction technology. Therefore, you will vacuum with the same power even when the bin is nearly full.
You can also use this device for hard floors and carpets. It has a brushroll which comes in handy when cleaning carpets. You can also shut off the brushroll to clean hard floors. By and large, this device will get cat litter from crevices, hard floors, and carpets.
- It has pet tools for getting rid of the cat hair.
- It swivel-steers increasing maneuverability.
- It has a lengthy 5-yr warranty.
- The hose is stiff, and it is short.
- It is top-heavy and unwieldy.
10. Hoover UH70210 T-Series Upright Vacuum
If you want the best vacuum for cat litter, then I reckon you are having trouble with feline hair as well. Well, the Hoover UH70210 will help you with that.
WindTunnel technology happens to be one of the best innovations in the vacuum industry. The tech will separate the dirt from the air flinging it into the dust canister. It reduces the strain on the filters subsequently decreasing the amount you would spend on consumables.
To decrease the possibility of damage to the vacuum from granules, the UH70210 has 2-subsequent suction paths that prevent the pellets from being scattered around.
You can also use the UH70210 on carpets and hard floors. With the suction mode pedal, you can engage or disengage the beater bar depending on the surface you will be cleaning. Finally, you can change the height of the beater bar to clean low to high-pile carpets.
- It is affordable.
- It is mighty and will get rid of deeply embedded dirt.
- It has a pet hair tool.
- The foot-pedal is ergonomic.
- It has headlights for cleaning dark areas.
- It does not include a dusting attachment and thus not ideal for cleaning counter-tops and other above-floor areas.
The motor and the belt are the core of any vacuum. As such, they sustain a lot of damage. Here is how to replace the engine in the Hoover UH70210.
11. Bissell 1954 Cordless Vacuum
The next item on this guide of the best vacuum cleaners for cat litter is this Bissell 1954, which also happens to be a greats cordless. When purchasing a cordless vacuum, you have to consider the runtime. Well, the 1954 will serve you for about 25-minutes before you have to recharge, thanks to the 14.4V lithium-ion battery.
The Bissell 1954 made it onto this list thanks to the advanced brushroll. It (the brushroll) helps with cat hair and removing cat litter from carpets. There is also the pet hair nozzle tool for upholstered surfaces. As for cleaning hard floors, you can only use it for small messes. It is best for carpeted and upholstered surfaces. There is also the crevice tool that will help suck up cat litter from difficult to reach spots.
Finally, it has a decent warranty, and it folds over for better storage.
- It has unmatched portability thanks to its cordless build.
- It is light.
- The clear window on the rotating brush allows you to see when the brush is clogged.
- You can convert it to a handheld for above-floor cleaning.
- You cannot use it on hard floors.
12. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 33A1
The next best vacuum cleaner for cat litter also happens to be the best handheld. As such, it is limited for use inside the car, on couches, countertops, and other above-floor areas. Do not purchase this expecting to use it on carpets and floors.
The 33A1 is a straightforward machine. It is a suction device and thus best for areas that are not too shaggy. Yes, the rubber nozzle will agitate upholstered surfaces, but that is not enough to remove all the deeply embedded dirt.
- It is affordable.
- It is light, and you can use it for extended periods.
- It has an ergonomic handle and thus comfortable to use.
- The cord is decently long.
- Though it is great for countertops and cars, it lacks the power and accessories to remove dirt from crevices and upholstered surfaces.
Are you curious about how the Bissell 33A1 looks like, or how it performs? Well, you are in luck as this video should give you a feel of what you are getting.
13. iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum
iRobot is renowned for its superb vacuums, and the Roomba 690 is what stood out for me as it excels at cleaning cat litter. First, it has a cleaning head that will come in handy on the carpets. It is just remarkable and will eliminate deeply embedded dirt. The side brushes are for fine particles and especially when cleaning near baseboards.
As for power, it does pack quite the punch. That coupled with the beater bar and the brushes make for a winning combination against dirt and especially cat litter. Another exciting feature is the dirt detect function. It spots where there is dirt (read cat litter) and focusses on that area.
Finally, the navigation is just superb. Thanks to the virtual barriers. You can keep this machine from going to some areas. Moreover, it has advanced sensors that keep it from bumping into obstacles.
- It is great for carpets and hard floors.
- It can be voice-controlled.
- It has a decent runtime of 90-minutes.
- The beater bar auto-cleans.
- It has a high-efficiency filter that will trap all the dust.
- Well, I consider it pricey as it is only suitable for light cleaning.
Regular maintenance is the only way your vacuum will serve you for more extended periods. Here is how to go about maintaining the Roomba 690.
14. Eureka Mighty Mite 3684F
The next best vacuum cleaner for cat hair is the Eureka Mighty Mite 3684F. You might be familiar with this vacuum’s close cousin, the Mighty Mite 3670G. They happen to be more similar than you might think, but this happens to have more premium features.
Starting, there is the HEPA filter that will trap all litter dust. This is quite handy when it comes to cleaning a house with asthmatic folks. Moreover, there is the odor eliminating bags. With pets, pet odors are inevitable. You will love this machine as it helps do away with that.
As for cat hair, well, there is the power paw, and let’s not forget about the 12amp power of this machine. Combined, they make for an undefeatable duo. Finally, the device is light, and you can carry it up and down a flight of stairs with ease.
- It is affordable.
- It is maneuverable and easily cleans around furniture.
- It has onboard storage for the crevice and combination tools.
- The performance on hard floors is unmatched.
- The cord is relatively short.
- It does not have a shoulder strap.
15. New Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog
Miele has never been a company to manufacture low-cost items, and the C3 Cat and Dog is no exception. You will pay a small fortune for this machine, but you will be getting Miele quality, and I believe that is worth the high price tag.
There is little the C3 cannot do. First, it has the Electro+ cleaner head which is just remarkable for carpeted surfaces. The parquet twister head is outstanding for hard floors. The features don’t stop there. You will love the superb filtration. The bags are diaper thick and will trap 99.9% of the litter. Also, all air has to pass through the bag as it is air sealed. As for pet odor, there is a charcoal filter for such tasks.
- It has a metal insertion in the handle to discharge static electricity.
- It follows you effortlessly on the caster wheels.
- The speed is variable, allowing you to clean different surfaces.
- It is powerful.
- It is pricey. You will pay a small fortune for this.
- The Electro+ cleaner head is bulky.
The Miele C3 Cat and Dog is nothing short of remarkable. Words don’t do this machine justice, but here is a video review that should give you a better feel.
Here are the things I considered when creating this list of the best vacuum cleaners for cat litter. These are the things you should consider, as well.
Type of Vacuum
Given the slew of vacuum cleaners available, you have to stop and consider the different types of machines as only then can you pick one that meets your needs.
Upright Vacuums – Unless you want go through the trouble of learning how to use a machine. I recommend you get an upright vacuum for your cat litter cleaning needs as this is what we are accustomed to. Furthermore, the weight is on the cleaner head, and thus it will deep clean without much force. In spite of the benefits, cleaning with these machines will take forever. It might strain your hand, and they are not the lightest.
Stick Vacuums – Though a lot has been done to improve stick vacuums, they are not the best for large cleanups. I recommend them as secondary devices or for light cleaning tasks. I still believe they have their place as they are light and maneuverable, but there is still a ton that needs to be done before they can compete with the best canister vacuums or the best upright vacuums.
Canister Vacuums – If not for the reduced cleaning time, or the ease in cleaning, then invest in a canister vacuum for their reduced noise. Canister vacuums also happen to be powerful, and cat litter will pose no problem. However, few have motorized cleaner heads as most companies to figure out how to get power to the cleaner head. They also take quite some getting used to.
Robot Vacuums – You can also get a robot vacuum if you want to avoid the work associated with other machines. These are best for light cleaning tasks, but you will appreciate that they save you the trouble.
Power is relative but invest in a mighty machine. Cat litter will find its way to some difficult places to reach places. The dust will sink into carpets and get into crevices. Only a powerful machine will get to such deeply embedded dirt. Only a device with strong suction will remove dust from crevices.
Yes, it might be pricey, but you will not regret buying it.
Durability is essential. Cat litter will damage your machine, and it is a no-brainer that you should get a tool that can withstand such abuse.
How to Prevent Litter Tracking
These are some inexpensive ways to prevent litter from scattering everywhere.
Using Rugs and Mats
Rugs and maps are an ingenious way to contain cat litter. Place mats around the litter box, so the pet messes tracked off collect there instead of being scattered. Eventually, you will only clean them off the rugs and mats.
Using a High-Sided Litter Box
Litter will fall off a low-sided box effortlessly, unlike a high-sided box. Using a high-sided box is simple, but it will save you the trouble of cleaning the surfaces and save your vacuum from damage.
Use an Empty Space
This might be a bit extreme and impossible for some, but you can place the litter box in an empty room and lock it up.
We are almost at the end of the review, and I hope one of these machines has piqued your interest. These are some frequently asked questions, and I hope these responses your mind at ease.
Well, manufacturers do not make vacuums for cleaning cat litter, but there are features that will help with such cat messes. The Shark NV752 is the best for such tasks, thanks to the power and the superb filtration. You can also get the New Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog if you are ready to pay the high price tag. If you are on a tight budget, I recommend the Dirt Devil UD79355B.
Though these are my best three machines, the others are equally good, and I believe you will love them. Tell me which piqued your interest in the comments below.
That’s it, folks, and I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it.