Vacuuming is essential if you are to maintain that pristine look. It is essential for cleanliness, and necessary for the health of your kids, pets, and yourself. As such, you need a good vacuum, and one that does not cost an arm and a leg.
But that begs the question, how do I get a reliable, but affordable vacuum cleaner?
Well, you are in luck as here is a review of the best vacuum cleaners under $200 and a buying guide. I hope you will have found an appliance that meets all your needs by the time you are done reading this.
But before I get to the core of this piece, here are the pros and cons of the different types of vacuum cleaners.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners Under $200
Though canister and upright vacuums are the most popular, the vacuum world is filled with different kinds of machines for various purposes. Here are the benefits of each to help you narrow your field of devices.
- Upright Vacuums – Upright vacuums are the most popular and for good reason. They are easy to use, and they pack quite a punch. They have bigger dustbins and can be used for heavy messes. However, they happen to be weighty and will be tiring to use. Moreover, getting into tight spaces will be difficult compared to stick vacuums.
- Stick Vacuums – These are similar to upright vacuums when it comes to usage, but they happen to be lighter and are for light cleaning. Often, they act as secondary cleaners, but some are now powerful enough to replace upright vacuums. As for shortcomings, they have small bins, and most are not robust.
- Canister Vacuums – If you are looking for gadgets with larger bins, I recommend canister vacuums. They also happen to be lighter, and quieter than upright vacuums. They do have their shortcomings in that most are bagged; thus, the cost of maintenance is higher. Also, they will be challenging to use if you are familiar with upright vacuums.
- Handheld Vacuums – For spot cleaning, handheld vacuums happen to be the best as they are light and easy to use. They are also ideal for above-floor cleaning, but they cannot handle large tasks.
Vacuum Cleaner Under $200 Shops Near You
I believe an excellent vacuum cleaner shop in your location is as crucial as an ideal vacuum cleaner. Here are some search terms that will come in handy when looking for outlets.
- Vacuum cleaner shops in my area.
- Vacuum cleaner shops near me.
- Vacuum cleaner shops in my location.
I am sure you get the gist by now. Specificity matters if you are taking your search for a shop online. Be sure to read the reviews of the shops before you entrust them with your purchase. The online world is terrific, right?
You can also consult your colleagues and friends, and they will most likely direct you to a fantastic outlet.
Best Vacuum Cleaners Under $200 Comparison Table 2020
Here is how the various machines compare to each other.
|Best Vacuum Cleaners||Type||Weight in Lbs.||Cord/Runtime||Bagged/Bagless||Dimensions in Inches||Warranty in Yrs.|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV352 - Best Overall||Upright||12.5||25-ft||Bagless||45.5 x 15 x 11.4||5|
|Shark Rocket HV301 Stick Vacuum - Best Stick Vacuum||Stick||8.2||25-ft||Bagless||46 X 9.8 X 10.5||5|
|Black + Decker Dustbuster Cordless Vacuum - Best Stick Vacuum||Handheld||2.6||15-min||Bagless||17.2 X 7.8 X 5.5||2|
|Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G Canister Vacuum - Best Canister Vacuum under $200||Canister||8.6||20-ft||Bagged||17.5 X 11.3 X 9||1|
|Onson Cordless Stick Vacuum - Best Cordless Vacuum||Stick||4.85||20-40-min||Bagless||26.77 X 8.86 X 6.3||-|
|Coredy Robot Vacuum Cleaner - Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner under $200||Robot||9||110-min||Bagless||12.6 X 2.76||1-|
|Bissell Cleanview Swivel 2252 Bagless Vacuum - Best for Edge Cleaning||Upright||14.5||27ft||Bagless||44.5 X 14 X 13||3|
|Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Upright Vacuum - Most Lightweight Upright Vacuum||Upright||8.2||35-ft||Bagged||35 X 13 X 6||1|
|Vacmaster VBV1210 Vacuum - Best for Outdoors||Wet/Dry||24.2||12-ft||Bagless||17.8 X 17.8 X 24.2|
|Eureka NES215A Stick Vacuum - Best Stair Vacuum Cleaner||Stick||4.5||18-ft||Bagless||45.9 X 9.7 X 5.6||1|
|Bissell Symphony 1543A Vacuum and Steam Mop - Best Vacuum and Mop Combo||Vacuum Mop||9.74||25-ft||Bagless||46 X 11 X 9.8||2|
|Prolux Tritan Bagged Canister Vacuum - Best for Air Quality||Canister||15||23-ft||Bagged||20.9 X 13.8 X 13||1|
|Hoover Linx Cordless BH50010 - Best Stick Vacuum for Tough Jobs||Stick||>10||15-min||Bagless||25 X10.6 X 8||2|
|Ovente ST2000 Bagless Canister Vacuum||Canister||14||15.7-ft||Bagless||15.5 X 11.5 X 10.5||1|
|Eureka NEU562A FloorRover Upright Vacuum - Best for Pet Hair||Upright||16.75||30-ft||Bagless||45 X 45 12.5||5|
Best Vacuum Cleaners Under $200 Reviews 2020
Here is what you have been waiting for. These are my top picks, and I am confident you will find a reliable device here.
1. Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV352 Vacuum Cleaner
First, this is not a good-looking machine, but that happens to be one of the few shortcomings of what is the best vacuum cleaner under $200. It is mighty and makes short work of all types of debris.
The Shark NV352 has Shark’s proprietary lift-away technology allowing you to use it as a canister vacuum. The lift-away design allows for above cleaning, and also reduces the weight of the machine. You will also love that you can turn the brushroll off. As such, you can work with it on carpets and hard floors.
As for filtration, it is just superb. It has a HEPA filter which is a rarity at this price, and the unit has an anti-allergen seal. Yes, you can use it in a house with allergic persons. It also has a pet tool, which is perfect for removing pet hair off upholstery, and suction release that allows you to adjust suction power.
- It is powerful
- It has a lengthy 5-yr warranty
- It has terrific edge to edge cleaning
- It swivels
- It is top-heavy and thus easy to topple
- The power button is not easily accessible
The Shark NV352 is a remarkable machine, but even then, you have to clean the beater bar severally. Here is how to open the bottom plate.
2. Shark Rocket HV301 Stick Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Stick Vacuum)
The next item on this list of the best vacuum cleaners under $200 is another machine from Shark. The HV301 is remarkable given the price.
As a stick vacuum, it is best for light cleaning, and for getting into tight spots. The low profile base can get under furniture, and the lightweight design allows you to clean for more extended periods with ease.
The Shark HV301 happens to be corded, and though that does away with the benefit of a cordless machine, you will not experience downtime. The HV301 will also amaze you in terms of power.
Cleaning hard floors and carpets will be a walk in the park.
There is also the bonus tool that retails with the HV301. You can get a home detailing kit or a car detailing kit which you can use in handheld mode. Yes, this is a 2-in-1 machine, and you can convert it to a handheld for above-floor cleaning.
- The control could not be better with fingertip controls
- It has an embedded dusting brush
- It has a wall-mount and hook for your better storage
- It cannot stand on its own, and the cord can get in the way
3. Black + Decker Dustbuster Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Handheld Vacuum under $200)
The best vacuum cleaner under $200 for spot cleaning is this Black + Decker CHV1410L. It is a handheld cordless vacuum that will make short work of messes.
With a lithium-ion battery, you will appreciate the longevity. It can hold power for up to 18-months, which is pretty impressive. It is not a fade-free unit, but you can use it for about 15-minutes before the battery starts to fade. 15-minutes is enough for most tasks.
The Smart Charge technology is also impressive as you will only use 50% of the charge. You will also appreciate that the attachments are on the device reducing the likelihood of misplacing them.
Finally, you will like that it is powerful. It picks large and small debris on hard floors and plush carpets. By and large, it is an impressive machine.
- It has an easy to empty bin
- It has a decent 2-yr warranty
- The battery lasts long
- It is ideal for getting into tight spots
- Replacing the battery is not a user-friendly affair
- Some of the chargers are defective
The battery of the CHV1410L happens to last about 3 to 4-yrs after which people buy a new device. Well, here is a video teaching you how to replace the battery instead of buying a new machine.
4. Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G Canister Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Canister Vacuum Under $200)
Next on this list of the best vacuum cleaners under $100 is the Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G. It is best for hard floors and few low-pile carpets. Therefore, only purchase this is if your house is majorly hard floors.
You can use the mighty mite as a vacuum or as a blower ideal for use in garages where dirt accumulates. This versatility is not present on most machines; and it is nice to have. As a canister vacuum, it is light and has a rather large bin. It also happens to be quiet, and you can use it in areas where silence is paramount.
I believe you will also appreciate the hose as it is long. It allows for more straightforward above-floor cleaning, and you can attach attachments with ease. Speaking of accessories, they store on the machine reducing the chances of you misplacing them.
- Perfect for hard floors and low-pile carpets
- It is a workhorse for the price
- Little assembly is required
- The plastic build is durable
- The newer models do not last long
The Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G is a favorite canister vacuum to many people. I welcome you to watch the video below to understand why.
5. Onson Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Cordless Vacuum)
If you have not heard of the Onson cordless vacuum that is okay. It is not the most popular vacuum, but it happens to be one of the best carpet cleaners under $200. First, you will enjoy the conveniences of a cordless unit. You will not be tethered to an outlet, and you can use it in areas without outlets. As for the battery life, you will love the standard 20 to 40 minutes depending on the mode.
You will also appreciate that it is a lightweight machine. At 4.5-pounds you can work with it for hours with ease. Moreover, it has a powered brushroll which will come in handy when cleaning carpets. And speaking of cleaning, you will appreciate the LED lights as they illuminate dark areas. Finally, it swivels and operates at lower frequencies for pleasant cleaning experience.
- It is easy to assemble
- It is lightweight
- It is affordable
- It has a HEPA filter for superior indoor air quality
- Most of the tools happen to be flimsy
- Though it sucks up hair, it gets trapped in the suction pipe and brushroll
6. Coredy Robot Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner under $200)
Just when I believed I had seen it all, Coredy blows me away with this robot vacuum that mops, sweeps, and vacuums. Few devices can do that much. It is a slim device for cleaning under furniture, and it has a slew of features.
First, you will love the superb runtime. At 110 minutes, it can complete a full house clean up before it has to charge. Moreover, the navigation is unmatched, and you can preset it for automatic cleaning. It has 5-cleaning modes for the various cleaning tasks, and you can set it to clean pet-hair, edges, spot cleaning, and mopping.
The beater bar also piqued my interest thanks to the auto-clean technology that saves you the trouble associated with pet hair. Finally, it has an auto-lift cleaner head that adjusts it to the surface you are cleaning.
- It has a bumper to protect it from bumps on walls and furniture
- It has a high-efficiency filter
- The drop technology makes cleaning with care a possibility
- It has a long charging time, and it auto-charges
- It has high suction which can be a drawback on shag carpets
Here is another review reiterating that the Coredy is the best robot vacuum cleaner under $200.
7. Bissell Cleanview Swivel 2252 Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Edge Cleaning)
If you have worked with vacuums before, then you know that most struggle when it comes to edge cleaning. Well, the Bissell 2252 excels in this area and as such is had to be on this best vacuum cleaners under $200 list.
Compared to most devices on this list, the Bissell 2252 happens to be the best in terms of reach. It has a 27-ft cord which will come in handy when cleaning large areas. It also has a substantial 6-ft hose which is perfect for cleaning above-floor areas.
Other than reach, you will also appreciate the scatter free technology as then you can clean large debris without worrying about it scattering all over. As for attachments, it has a crevice tool, but I liked the turbo-eraser as it makes cleaning pet hair a breeze.
- It has a large cleaning head, and you can clean large areas in a few passes
- It is powerful, thanks to the triple-action brush
- The filters are washable, reducing the cost of consumables
- Given the price, some of the components are of low quality and will fail sooner rather than later
8. Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Upright Vacuum Cleaner
(Most Lightweight Upright Vacuum)
The next best vacuum cleaner under $200 is the Oreck Xl2100RHS. If you are looking for a lightweight upright, then this is ideal. At 8.2 pounds you will not feel the weight even after using it for an hour.
The XL2100RHS happens to be a bagged unit so you should factor in the cost of consumables. Moreover, filtration is not the best. However, these are the only shortcomings in what is a remarkable machine. The slim design allows you to clean in tight spots, and also helps with storage.
Other than the slim design, the Oreck XL2100RHS happens to be perfect for edge to edge cleaning thanks to the side brushes. It also has a bumper which will protect it against bumps. Finally, it has automatic floor adjustment, which comes in handy when moving from carpets and back.
- It has a helping handle which makes vacuuming a breeze
- It has a long cord at 35-ft
- It is light allowing for extended periods of use
- The bags are large and are affordable
- The bag attachment is lousy
- The attachment of the metal handle to the vac tube could be better
There are instances where you will have to troubleshoot your machine. Here is a video teaching you how to disassemble the XL2100RHS motor.
9. Vacmaster VBV1210 Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Outdoors)
If you are looking for a device you can use outdoors, I recommend the Vacmaster VBV1210. It is a commercial vacuum/blower, but it happens to retail for less than $200. As a blower and vacuum appliance, you will appreciate the versatility
The VBV1210 also packs quite a punch. First, it has a 5HP motor that will make short work of all cleaning tasks, and the blower can get up to 210MPH. You will also appreciate the capacity. I believe a vacuum is as good as the capacity and the Vacmaster can hold quite a lot. It has a 12-gallon tank, and you can clean large areas with ease.
The Vacmaster sits on 4-caster wheels that swivel increasing the portability. Moreover, it has pretty decent clearance. As for noise, it has a sound diffuser for better cleaning experience.
- The blower is detachable
- The drain port is substantial
- It is a versatile wet and dry vacuum
- It has plenty of suction as a vacuum
- It works best with kitchen outlets as they are designed to run appliances. However, it takes a genius to figure this out, and most people don’t have the time
- It has a short 12-ft cord
10. Eureka NES215A Stick Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Stair Vacuum Cleaner)
The NES215A happens to be a 3-in-1 device. First, it can work as a stick vacuum, as a handheld device for above-floor cleaning, and a stair vacuum cleaner. The latter involves attaching the cleaning head to the dustbuster for superior stair cleaning.
Nonetheless, there is more to this device other than it being a 3-in-1 device. It happens to be lightweight at 4-pounds and thus will come in handy when working for extended periods. It happens to swivel increasing maneuverability, and I believe that will be vital when cleaning around furniture.
As for the cleaner head, it has a “capture nozzle,” which is a fancy name for a large suction channel. The large opening in the head comes in handy when it comes to picking large debris. The large opening eliminates the snowplowing effect associated with most stick vacuums.
- It has superb suction
- It is beyond light
- It is versatile and can work as a handheld, stair, and stick vacuum
- It doesn’t stand on its own
- The head swivels, but it sticks. It also swivels when you don’t want it to
11. Bissell Symphony 1543A Vacuum Cleaner & Steam Mop
(Best Vacuum and Mop Combo)
The next best vacuum cleaner under $200 is the Bissell 1543A. It happens to be a vacuum and steam mop, and it is ideal for people who want to do more than vacuum. The steam cleaner is suitable for getting deeply embedded dirt, and for sanitizing your floors.
The Bissell 1543A is for hard floor cleaning. It is not for above-floor cleaning or for cleaning carpets, but the performance on tiles, hardwood floors, and linoleum is remarkable. Included in the package is a washable microfiber which I recommend for daily cleaning. For the heavy pet messes, you should use the disposable pads.
The tanks are also quite fascinating. I especially loved the dry tank tech as it keeps moisture out of your dirt tank.
As for weight, it weighs 9.74 pounds, and you can use it for quite some time before you have to rest. Finally, it has odor eliminating scent discs. Wonderful, right?
- It has a decent 2-yr warranty
- The drop-it tank technology saves you the trouble of coming into contact with pet messes
- Vacuuming and steaming at the same time only results in a mess
Seeing is believing. Well, here is a review that will give you a better feel of this device.
12. Prolux Tritan Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Air Quality)
The next item on this best vacuum cleaners under $200 is the best Miele vacuum alternative, the Prolux Tritan Canister Vacuum. Miele makes the best canister vacuums, but none retails for less than $200. The Prolux Tritan, on the other hand, offers the same performance but, at a fraction of the price.
First, it is a compact machine, and you can use it in areas with limited space. It is also full of convenient features. First, it has a retractable cord, and don’t we all love that. Moreover, it has rubber wheels that will protect your hard floors. It has a slew of accessories, and they store on the machine reducing the likelihood of you misplacing them.
Another feature that stood for me was the bypass valve. The valve opens in case of a clog preventing the motor from blowing.
- It has a decent 1-yr warranty
- The suction is adjustable, allowing you to clean different surfaces
- It has a bag-full indicator
- It is completely sealed and has a HEPA filter for better air quality
- It has scatter-free technology
- The cleaner head disconnects from the hose easily
There are instances where the wheels of the Prolux will sustain damage. Here is a video on how to replace the wheels.
13. Hoover Linx Cordless BH50010 Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Stick Vacuum for Tough Jobs)
The Hoover BH50010 is a stick vacuum but happens to be shaped like an upright. Unlike other sticks where the bin is on the handle, the BH50010 bin is near the base. This allows for lightweight handling, but it limits the cleaning to floors only. On the other hand, the canister is substantial for a cordless, and it is easy to empty.
Another terrific feature of the Hoover BH50010 is that it can stand on its own. Storage is, therefore, easier, and you don’t have to worry about finding a place to rest it when taking a break.
As for the performance, it has a brushroll which you can turn off when cleaning hard floors. It can pick up fine debris and pet hair on carpets with ease. It also performs well on hard floors.
- It has a large opening for collecting large debris
- It is a cordless vacuum, and you can use it in areas without outlets
- The battery uses fade-free technology
- It is limited to hard floors
- Though it can recline, the location of the bin prevents it from cleaning under low-profile furniture
14. Ovente ST2000 Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner
The Ovente ST2000 is one of the cheapest units on this best vacuum cleaners under $200 list. It is a fraction of the cost of other devices here, but that does not make it a terrible machine.
First, it is a powerful machine. With 1400-watts of air suction, there is little it cannot pick up. It is best for working on hard floors as it does not have a powered beater bar. The performance on hard floors, though, is remarkable.
Other attachments include a crevice tool for those tight spots, a bristle brush for cleaning dust off delicate surfaces, and an upholstery brush that will come in handy when cleaning couches. As for filtration, it has a HEPA filter which is unheard of at such a low price. The bin is transparent, and you will be able to tell when it needs emptying.
- You can see the filters and can tell when they are dirty and need to be washed or replaced
- It vacuums delicate surfaces without damage
- It still works on carpets despite it being for hard floors
- There will be dust in the air when disposing of the dirt
If Ovente has piqued your interest, here is a short video of the Ovente to give you a better feel.
15. Eureka NEU562A FloorRover Upright Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Pet Hair)
Finally, we have this tank of a vacuum, the Eureka NEU562A upright vacuum. First, it has a slew of convenience features. These features include the easy-glide wheels that make pulling the unit a walk in the park, the ergonomic handle and don’t get me started on the swivel steering. The onboard storage is also a nice touch.
It is the best for pet hair thanks to the unique self-adjusting blades that are better at hair pickup than most beater bars. It also has a turbo brush which comes in handy when cleaning pet hair off upholstery. Finally, it has a suction release valve allowing you to clean different surfaces.
- It packs quite a punch in raw power. It has superb suction
- Picking pet hair is a breeze
- It is easy to clean
- It is heavy
- It cannot get under furniture
I hope this best vacuum cleaners under $200 list is exhaustive and that you find a unit that meets your needs. I also welcome you to leave a comment below if you feel there is something I missed.
Here is a short buying guide that will come in handy when it comes to purchasing one of these bad boys.
Areas You Will be Cleaning
Other than the devices (see introduction), you also have to consider the areas you will be cleaning. If your house is 95% hard floors and 5% carpet, you should get a machine that is suited for hard floors. If your home is mostly carpeted, then get a gadget with a beater bar.
For above-floor cleaning, I recommend handheld devices as they are light and can work for hours. If you are cleaning outdoor areas, then invest in a machine that does that.
The point is that you should get a machine which is best for the areas you intend to clean.
Corded vs. Cordless
You also have to decide between a corded and cordless device. A corded vacuum has the advantage over a cordless as you don’t have any downtime. You can clean endlessly without worrying about battery runtime. However, you have to fold and ensure you keep the cord out of the way when vacuuming. You are also tethered to an outlet.
As for cordless vacuums, you have the freedom to clean areas without outlets. You don’t have to concern yourself with folding or tripping on power cords. Nonetheless, they do have one shortcoming in that they are limited by the runtime.
Bagged vs. Bagless
You also have to decide between bagged and bagless vacuums. When working with bagless vacuums, be ready for dust in the air when emptying. You also have to run fingers on the inside of the bin to remove any remaining dirt. Yes, they might be cheap to maintain, but disposing of the debris is tasking.
Bagged vacuums, on the other hand, allow for mess-free disposal, but you have to purchase disposal bags. By and large, they are slightly pricey to maintain.
Accessories increase the versatility of a machine. A dusting brush helps when it comes to cleaning soft surfaces, while a crevice tool helps with cleaning tight spots.
Yes, a machine with more accessories will be slightly expensive, but the results will be quite pleasant. If you are looking to sacrifice the accessories, then let it be a secondary machine.
Here, I will respond to some of the frequently asked questions about vacuums that retail for less than $200
That’s it, folks. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing. The above machines will make cleaning a breeze, and will not break your bank. I welcome you to leave a comment below about your best vacuum cleaner under $200 and a few reasons why.