Backpack vacuums are not as popular as upright vacuums, canister or even stick vacuums. I think the idea of a backpack vacuum has not yet caught on. Nonetheless, these machines are nothing short of marvelous.
Despite being excellent machines, finding the best backpack vacuum happens to be challenging. They are not popular in the residential vacuum market, and therefore there is little information about backpack vacuums.
Think about it, which is easier to come across; backpack vacuums or upright vacuums?
And while we are on the topic of getting the best backpack vacuum, consider this your lucky day. I put together a list with these machines, and a buying guide to help you make an informed decision. But first, here are some reasons to invest in a backpack vacuum.
5 Reasons Why You Should Consider a Backpack Vacuum
These are some benefits of backpack vacuums over other types of vacuums.
- Top 15 Best Small Vacuum Cleaner Reviews 2022
- Top 22 Best Bagless Vacuum Cleaner Reviews 2022
- Top 15 Best Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly 2022
- Top 15 Best Robot Vacuums Under $150 to Buy 2022
- How to Use a Vacuum Cleaner – The Complete Guide 2022
- Top 15 Best Central Vacuum Powerhead Reviews in 2022
- Top 10 Best Hoover Vacuum Cleaners 2022
- How To Clean Shark Vacuum Filter
- Long Power Cord – Backpack vacuums are made for the commercial vacuum market and as such have long cords making them easier to navigate. You can clean areas without having to change outlets. This though does not mean they cannot be used in the residential market. On the contrary, you will be benefiting from a cord that can allow you to clean an entire house with ease.
- Easier to Use – One complaint most people have against upright is the strain they put on your arm. This will be a thing of the past with backpack vacuums as you carry the weight. Canister vacuums, on the other hand, though slightly better than uprights, are not as good as backpacks. You have to pull the unit around, especially around furniture and on shag carpets. Again, these challenges will be a thing of the past.
- Reach and Portability – With upright and canister vacuums, you have to lift the unit above obstacles. And don’t get me started on carrying it up and down stairs. As for backpack vacuums, they are portable and don’t have these challenges. As for cleaning above-floor areas, it will be a walk in the park.
- Durability – Seeing as they are designed for commercial use where they are subjected to abuse on almost a daily basis, you can expect them to be more durable.
- Longevity – Internal wear and tear is often a result of moving parts. Canister and upright vacuums have many moving parts and wear out faster. Backpack vacuums have fewer moving parts and will last longer
Here are more benefits of backpack vacuums.
Backpack Vacuum Cleaner Shops Near You
Other than knowing the best backpack vacuum cleaner, you should know where to get these appliances. Finding a good shop, preferably in your area, is crucial. The online space is one place where you can get reputable outlets, but you have to know what you are looking for.
The search terms you use will determine whether you find a reputable shop or not. Here are some few phrases to use:
- Best backpack vacuum cleaner shops near me
- Best backpack vacuum cleaner shops in my area
- Best backpack vacuum cleaner shops in UK
- Best backpack vacuum cleaner shop in US
Now let’s get into the meat of this article.
Best Backpack Vacuum Comparison Chart 2022
If you are pressed for time, here is a comparison guide to compare the devices side to side.
|Best Backpack Vacuum Cleaners||Weight in-lbs.||Bin Size in Quarts||Cord Length||HEPA||Dimensions||Warranty|
|ProTeam Super Coach Vac 10-Qt Commercial Backpack Vacuum - Best Overall||11||10||50-ft||Yes||8.5 X 8.5 X 25||3|
|Hoover Commercial C2401 Vacuum - Best for Hard Floors||9.2||6.4||48-ft||Yes||13.2 X 13.2 X 30||2|
|ProTeam ProVac FS 6 Backpack Vacuum - Most Robust Backpack Vacuum||11.6||6||50-ft||Yes||31.3 X 18.3 X 12||3|
|Atrix Ergo VACBP1 Backpack Vacuum Cleaner - Best for Versatility||10.3||8||1.5-ft||Yes||12 X 9 X 20||1|
|GV 10-Quart Backpack Vacuum - Best for Pets||11||10||50-ft||Yes||9 X 9 X 26||2|
|Sanitaire EURSC412B Backpack Vacuum - Best Certified||11.5||6||50-ft||Yes||21 X 10.5 X 10.5||2|
|Powr-Flite BP6S Backpack Vacuum - Best Quiet||9||6||50-ft||Yes||-||3|
|Prolux 2.0 Bagless Backpack Vacuum - Best Bagless Backpack Vacuum||9||1.58||35-ft||Yes||27.3 X 15 X 12||5-yr Motor|
|Prolux 2.0 Cordless Bagless Vacuum - Best Cordless Backpack Vacuum||11||1.58||1-hr||Yes||11.5 X 13 X 24.8||5-yr - Motor|
|Rubbermaid Commercial Backpack Vacuum - Best Value for Money||23||10||40-ft||Yes||31.2 X 13.9 X 13.6||1|
|ProTeam Mega Vac Backpack Vacuum - Best Heavy Duty Vacuum||11||10||50-ft||Yes||31 X 15.4 X 12.1||3|
|Carpet Pro SCBP-1 Commercial Backpack Vacuum - Editor’s Pick||10.5||6||50-ft||Yes||31 X 15.4 X 12.1||-|
|Bissell Big Green BG 1006 Backpack Vacuum - Best for Tight Spots||10||6||50-ft||Yes||22.5 X 14.6 X 10||1|
|Makita XCV05Z Cordless Vacuum - Best for Long Runtime||9.4||2||90-min||Yes||12.6 X 19.3 X 9.8||3|
|Koblenz BP-1400 Commercial Grade Backpack Vacuum - Best for Light Duty Commercial Cleaning||11||6||50-ft||Yes||31 X 16 X 12||6|
Top 15 Best Backpack Vacuum Cleaners Reviews 2022
Here are ths complete reviews with pros and cons. As for my top pick, it had to be the ProTeam Super Coach Vac.
1. ProTeam Super Coach Vac 10-Qt Commercial Backpack Vacuum
The ProTeam Super Coach Vac is head and shoulders above other backpack vacuums. It is a commercial unit and should only be used for such tasks. For residential settings try the ProTeam Super Coach Vac 6-quart.
The Super Coach Vac has some snazzy features that I believe you will love. First, it has a long cord at 50-ft; and don’t we all appreciate long cables. Second, it has a large dirt capacity at 10-quarts allowing you to clean large areas without having to empty the bin.
Another remarkable feature of the ProTeam Super Coach is the slew of accessories. Again it is better by a long shot in this area. It retails with several cleaning heads for carpets and hard floors. As for power, it packs quite a punch with 123CFM airflow and 81-inches of water lift when it comes to suction.
Finally, you will love that it is a comfortable unit. The harness distributes weight to the core and legs for comfort.
- It has superior filtration with 4-levels of filtration
- Other than the time associated with putting on the vac, it cuts cleaning time by 43%
- It is light
- It makes quick work of any dirt
- It has a cord holder to hold the cord and keep it out of your way
- It sticks to rugs owing to the high suction
The ProTeam Super Coach is remarkable. If you want to know why I consider it the best backpack vacuum, then go ahead and watch this review.
2. Hoover Commercial C2401 Vacuum
(Best for Hard Floors)
Next on this list of the best backpack vacuums is the Hoover C4201. It is a lightweight device weighing about 9.2-pounds and seeing as it is a backpack unit, you can use it for hours without noticing it. Couple this with the chiropractor designed and approved harness, and the comfort is unmatched.
Another snazzy feature is that it is a quiet device. You can use it in office buildings without interfering with the activities going on. As for the reach, it has a 48-ft cord, which should be enough to clean large areas without having to change outlets.
You will also appreciate the 6.4-quart bin capacity, and though it is not as large as that of the ProTeam, it is enough for most cleaning tasks. The bag is reusable, reducing the cost of maintenance.
Finally, it has a HEPA filter for superior indoor air quality.
- It has a long power cord
- The performance on hard floors is impressive
- The dust bag is reusable, reducing the cost of consumables
- It has superior HEPA filtration
- The performance on carpets is wanting
If you want to more about this bad boy, I welcome you to watch this video. You will love the things they have added to this machine.
3. ProTeam ProVac FS 6 Backpack Vacuum
(Most Robust Backpack Vacuum)
Were it not for the fact that the FS 6 is pricey, and has a smaller bin capacity it would have been my pick for the best backpack vacuum thanks to the slew of features?
First, it has an adjustable harness that can fit tall and short people alike. You can adjust the upper harness attaching it to different holes other than the bottom-most. The belt is also redesigned increasing the comfort.
As for power, it trumps my top pick with a CFM of 159. Yes, this is a mighty machine. Despite the crazy high power, it still happens to be a quiet unit. At 65.8dB, you can use this to clean areas where silence is paramount.
Finally, you will love the superior filtration (it has a HEPA filter), and the long cord.
- It has a long cord at 50-ft. It has an even longer reach once you add the hose and wand
- It can clean both carpets and hard floors
- It is powerful
- It is pricey
- The bin is smaller than our top pick
Other than knowing what to do with the vacuum, you should know of the maintenance required. Here is ProTeam’s routine maintenance recommendation.
4. Atrix Ergo VACBP1 Backpack Vacuum Cleaner
(Best for Versatility)
I have never come across a vacuum that can be used for pest control. Imagine my shock when I came across the Ergo. As such, it had to be on this best backpack vacuum list.
First, it is a compact device, and you will love how it sits on your back. However, it is bulky for such a small machine. Weighing 10.3-pounds it is a bit cumbersome. You will not feel the weight, but I expected it to be less than 10-pounds.
It packs quite a punch with the 106cfm. Therefore you can use it to clean tough messes.
My best feature of the Atrix Ergo though was the versatility. You can customize it for right and left-handed operation, and it has a blower adapter which converts it into a blower. It also has a slew of accessories for the three blower heads, to the turbo brush, and crevice tool.
- It is aesthetically pleasing
- It is versatile working as a vacuum and a blower
- It has a HEPA filter
- It is affordable
- The attachment is plastic, and you need to be extra careful when using them
- It has a short cord at 1.5-ft
5. GV 10-Quart Backpack Vacuum
(Best for Pets)
If you are on the hunt for a backpack vacuum to clean pet hair, I recommend the GV 10-Quart thanks to the powered pet tool. Cleaning pet hair off of upholstery will be a walk in the park.
First, you will appreciate that it is lightweight thanks to the aluminum build. At 11-pounds, you can use it without fatigue. It has adjustable straps, and you can fit it to your height.
As for power, it has an airflow above 145CFM, and suction of about 120-inches of water. However, the suction is adjustable thanks to the suction valve. Lowering it allows you to clean drapes and other light surfaces. Finally, I loved the upholstery tool as the bristles are removable for cleaning different surfaces. You can clean both delicate and hard areas with ease.
- It has a powered tool for pets
- It has a decent 2-yr warranty
- The tools are easy to use
- The hose is crush-proof
- It has a large bin
- The accessories are friction fit. They might break under pressure or fall off when cleaning
- Not the best for carpets
Seeing is believing. Well here is a video to give you a feel of what to expect with the GV 10-Quart.
6. Sanitaire EURSC412B Backpack Vacuum
If you prefer having a certified vacuum over the rest, then get the Sanitaire SC412B. It has met L.E.E.D (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) requirements, and it is CRI approved.
Yes, it is a marvelous machine.
It is backed by an 11.5 amp motor that will get deeply embedded dirt. Cleaning will be like passing a hot knife through butter. Despite it being a robust device, it is quiet. Like really quiet. I believe you will love the cleaning experience.
But what about the cleaning performance? Well, it is precisely what you would expect in a backpack vacuum. It is a beast. It also retails with enough accessories for different tasks. It has a crevice tool, an extension wand, two cleaner heads, and a dusting brush. Like I said, enough for most jobs. There is also onboard storage. It is truly one of the best backpack vacuums.
- It has a long cord
- The on/off switch is on the belt on the hip for easy access
- It has a double bend wand
- It has consistent suction
- Attaching the accessories is difficult
- The quality seems lower compared to previous Sanitaire vacuums
If you want to know the longevity of the Sanitaire SC412B, I welcome you to watch the review below.
7. Powr-Flite BP6S Backpack Vacuum
At 62db, the Powr-Flite is a quiet machine. But isn’t that what we all look for in vacuums? You can use it in any office or around pets. It has a long-50-cord, and you can get to any point in the building without changing the outlet. Okay not any, but you get the point. It is long.
It happens to be a commercial vacuum, and as such, the quality is high to withstand the abuse. Speaking of quality, I loved the harness the most. It is a Deuter harness, and as such has ergonomic shoulders for comfort. Furthermore, it tries and transfers all the weight to your legs and core removing it from your back.
As for tools, I found this aspect liberating as it retails with a slew of accessories. It has a premium and standard tool kit. I prefer the premium kit, but the standard kit should be enough.
- It has a slew of attachments
- It has a long cord
- It is tranquil
- It has a crazy high CFM at 120
- It ensures that the indoor air quality
- The bin is a tad small at 6-quarts
I was curious about what the Powr-Flite had to offer, and I came across this review. I will spare you the details and let you watch it for yourself. You should know why I consider it one of the best backpack vacuums after.
8. Prolux 2.0 Bagless Backpack Vacuum
(Best Bagless Backpack Vacuum)
Prolux has produced several models of the Prolux 2.0, and I believe you will love every one of these devices.
First, there is the power nozzle that retails with the powered brush. The brush has a rotating beater bar, and it is excellent for cleaning carpets. The second model is the “Pro model” which is built to last. It is made tougher and has commercial-grade attachments increasing the durability.
Finally, there is the standard model which is made for household use. It has some commercial tools such as the 1.5-inch tool for faster cleaning. The cord is 35-ft long, and it will allow for better reach. Another fantastic feature of this device is the new vortex chamber that forces the HEPA to clean itself — consequently reducing clogs.
- The attachments are easy to connect
- The vortex chamber is insulated, reducing the noise
- It is a bagless vacuum and thus easier to maintain
- It has clips on the side to hold the cord
- It is best for short people. Tall people are at a disadvantage
9. Prolux 2.0 Cordless Bagless Vacuum
(Best Cordless Backpack Vacuum)
Though most backpack vacuums have long cords, you can only go so far, as you are still tethered to an outlet. With the Prolux 2.0 cordless this is a thing of the past.
You get 1-hr runtime which should be enough for most cleaning tasks. However, I feel like 1-hr is not enough for commercial cleaning. You can have it as a backup to clean areas without outlets, and even then I think getting an extension cord will be better and save you a fortune.
For cleaning households though, I think it is a fantastic device. Similar to all other Prolux 2.0 it has the new Vortex chamber that forces the HEPA filter to clean itself, and it is a bagless vacuum.
- It is maneuverable
- It has a slew of accessories for dust removal
- As a bagless unit, it is easy to maintain and convenient
- It is perfect for hard floors
- It has a lengthy 5-yr warranty on the motor
- It is pricey, and the one-month ownership is not enough to ascertain the durability
Prolux has four new models in this series. I believe this review will help you settle on the best device for you.
10. Rubbermaid Commercial Backpack Vacuum
(Best Value for Money)
Following on this list of the best backpack vacuums is the Rubbermaid Commercial backpack vacuum. It works with an 8-amp motor, and though this might not sound as powerful as the other units, you will love the hight CFM at 120 and the high suction of 100-inches of water lift.
There are two models of the Rubbermaid backpack vacuum. The 6-quart, and the 10-quart vacuum. Both retail with HEPA bags, but only the 10-quart vac has a HEPA filter.
One shortcoming of the Rubbermaid though is that it is a weighty unit. At 23-pounds, I bet you will feel it. Working with it for a few hours will lead to fatigue. As for the accessories, you get an aluminum wand increasing the reach, an upholstery tool for office furniture, a dusting brush, crevice tool, and sealed vacuuming bags.
- It is a quiet vacuum, and you can use it virtually anywhere
- The controls are conveniently located and easy to reach
- The harness is customizable for comfort
- It has a substantial 40-ft cord
- I felt that it is too bulky. You might not feel it at first as the weight is transferred to your core and legs, but you will feel after a few hours of use
11. ProTeam Mega Vac Backpack Vacuum
(Best Heavy Duty Vacuum)
The next best backpack vacuum is the ProTeam Mega Vac. For high traffic areas that require a robust unit. I recommend you invest in this. Yes, it is slightly pricey, but I believe it is worth it.
First, it has a 10-quart bin and can clean large areas without having to swap bags. As for the filtration, the device has a 4-level filtration meaning the air in your house will ever be clean. Finally, there is a diffuser where the air exits the unit. The diffuser is great for reducing noise, and to prevent the air from blowing dust around.
Another exciting feature of the Mega Vac is that it works as a blower as well. Well, for a 2-in-1 device, I believe it is worth the high price.
Finally, the 50-ft cord allows you to clean substantial areas without worrying about outlets. Moreover, it is a non-marking cord and will protect your surfaces.
- It has superior filtration
- It is a quiet device, and you can use it anywhere
- The on/off power button is easy to access
- There are complaints about it missing the blower tool
Putting on a backpack vacuum, and learning how to use it is a challenge. Well, that will be a thing of the past with this tutorial.
12. Carpet Pro SCBP-1 Commercial Backpack Vacuum
The Carpet Pro SCBP-1 is not as popular as other vacuums on this guide. However, it is a unit I deem to be one of the best backpack vacuum cleaners.
Starting with the size of the bin, you will love that it can hold 6-quarts of dirt. The 50-ft cord allows you to clean large areas with ease. Moreover, the cable is yellow and non-marking, and you can use it around delicate surfaces.
The Carpet Pro also happens to be a tank. With 120-CFM airflow, there are few areas you cannot clean. It is lightweight too at 10.5-pounds. It allows you to work long hours and you can work for long before you feel that weight on your back.
As for accessories, it has several cleaner heads that are ideal for hard floors. You will also love the crevice tool and the dusting brush. Finally, it has a wide cleaning path enabling you to clean large areas with ease.
- It has a HEPA filter which ensures that the air in your house is clean
- It is comfortable
- It saves you time when cleaning
- It might not be enough for commercial use as the bags are slightly small
Here is the Carpet Pro SCBO-1 with all the attachments. Though this does not explain the pros and cons of the device, I believe you will know what you are investing in.
13. Bissell Big Green BG 1006 Backpack Vacuum
(Best for Tight Spots)
Bissell has been making floor cleaning machines for well over a century now. The company has vast experience in this niche, something they have applied to the BG 1006. The Bissell BG 1006 as such, had to be one of the best backpack vacuum cleaners.
The device has a 6-quart capacity, which though is not large, is enough for cleaning most households. The slim design allows you to clean with a reduced risk of knocking over expensive china.
I believe you will love that it has a HEPA filter as then the air quality will be unrivaled. Other than the HEPA filter, the bags are also superb as are the other filters. The plastic 4-ft hose and the metallic wand allows for better versatility.
As for power, it has 120CFM of airflow, which is crazy high. Finally, the hose is crush-proof, and it rarely clogs.
- It automatically shuts off when it detects that the bin is full
- The bin is easy to empty thanks to the twist-off lid
- The harness transfers the weight to the legs and core
- The warranty is short at 1-yr
- The filters are expensive
- It retails with only one bag
14. Makita XCV05Z Cordless Vacuum
(Best for Long Runtime)
Another cordless backpack vacuum is the Makita XCV05Z. It has a 90-minute runtime, and as such, it had to be on this list of the best backpack vacuum cleaners. The 90-min runtime allows you to clean large areas without having to recharge the unit.
As for the weight, it weighs about 9.9-pounds, and I doubt you will feel that weight when coupled with the harness. The device also happens to be compact, and you can use it in houses without worrying about knocking over any expensive china.
The Makita XCV05Z is not as powerful as most units on this list. The airflow is a fraction of that of other appliances at 53 CFM, and the suction is a low 28.5-inches of water lift. I recommend it for houses over commercial use.
- It has a long flexible hose for hard to reach spots
- It has a long runtime
- The batteries are removable so you can have several of these to reduce downtime
- It has a small bin, and you have to empty it frequently
- It is not as powerful as other devices on this list
15. Koblenz BP-1400 Commercial Grade Backpack Vacuum
(Best for Light Duty Commercial Cleaning)
At 11-pounds, the Koblenz BP-1400 is within reasonable weight range. It is not bulky to be tiring, but that does not put it among lightweight vacuums. You can work with it for a reasonable length of time before you have to put it down.
The cord is long enough at 50-ft, so you need not worry about the reach. However, I loved the hose more. The Koblenz has a longer tube than the competition. At 5-ft, you have a more extended range. I also have to consider the power of the unit. With 120CFM airflow and 90-inches of water lift, vacuuming will be a breeze.
Back to the cord, I loved that it is detachable, allowing you to store it separately. I also considered the filtration. With 4-stage filtration, you can be confident that the air will ever be clean. Finally, the bin at 6-quarts should be enough for standard cleanups.
- It is powerful
- The shoulders are padded increasing comfort
- It is a quiet unit and great for pet owners
- It is easy to move around
- There are some concerns with the durability, and one of the cleaner heads scratches the surface
3 Shortcomings of Backpack Vacuum Cleaners
Yes, these machines are remarkable, but they do have some cons that I could not ignore.
- Carpet Cleaning – First, most of these units lack a motorized cleaner head to deep clean carpets. Most backpack vacuums excel at hard floor cleaning but fall short when it comes to carpet cleaning.
- Harness – Backpack vacuums are only as good as the harness. There are tons of complaints from people saying that they hurt their backs. Moreover, they will only fit if the harness is customizable.
- You have to take into consideration the space around you as you might end up knocking over items.
Backpack Vacuum Buying Guide
I hope you found a unit that meets your needs in this best backpack vacuum guide. However, if that’s not the case, here is a buying guide that I believe will come in handy.
- Corded vs. Cordless – First, you have to choose between corded and cordless machines. For commercial purposes, I recommend a corded backpack vacuum as it has no downtime. Yes, you are tethered to an outlet, but you can get an extension cord to extend the reach. Cordless backpack vacuums, on the other hand, are perfect for cleaning houses. A 1-hr or 90-min runtime should be enough to cover all the ground.
- Bagged vs. Bagless – Again, you will have to choose between bagged and bagless backpack vacuums. However, there is not much of a choice here as bagged units outnumber bagless vacuums.
- Harness – A backpack vacuum is only as good as the harness. It is not unheard off for people to use these devices as canisters due to poor harness design. For commercial purposes, ensure that the shoulders are padded to keep them from tearing into your shoulders. Moreover, it should transfer the weight to your legs and core. Finally, it should be adjustable for comfort.
- Weight – This is self-explanatory. You will be using this device for a couple of hours a day if you are a cleaning business, and you want to avoid the strain, get a lightweight machine for comfort.
- Cord Length and Runtime – If you want to invest in a corded vacuum, ensure the cord is at least 50-ft long. You want the added reach to save time looking for an outlet. If it is not that long, ensure you get an extension cord. As for cordless backpack vacuums, the runtime should be at least 1-hr.
- Surfaces you Will be Cleaning – Finally, you should stop and consider the areas you will be vacuuming. Backpack vacuums are designed for hard floors. Therefore, you have to be extra keen when on the hunt for an appliance that can clean carpets. I suggest the Prolux 2.0 as it has a powered brush.
You should also know how to put on a backpack vacuum safely. Here is a video with the required info.
Thank you for coming this far. We are almost at the endgame of this article, but first, some frequently asked backpack vacuum cleaner questions.
My Top Pick
Though backpack vacuums are gaining popularity, they still cannot compete with uprights, stick, or even canister vacuums. However, they are unrivaled in commercial and in commercial and industrial cleaning.
The best happens to the ProTeam Super Coach Vacuum. There are other units for specific tasks. The Prolux 2.0 is excellent for carpets, and the Atrix Ergo is surprisingly versatile. By and large, there is a little bit of something for everyone.