How well a vacuum cleans is the most important thing when shopping for an upright vacuum. You should always ensure that the unit meets your needs and that it can pick up dirt with ease. Even so, there are other minor considerations, such as the design of the appliance.
When speaking of vacuum design, three prominent designs come to mind; upright, stick, and canister. These are the three vacuum designs, and today, I will be reviewing the fifteen best upright vacuums.
First, here is what makes upright vacuums better compared to the rest.
- Why, Upright Vacuums?
- Upright Vacuum Cleaner Shops near You
- Best Upright Vacuum of 2020 Comparisson Table
- The 15 Best Upright Vacuum 2020: Reviews and Recommendations
- 1. Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV352
- 2. Oreck Magnessium LW1500RS
- 3. Dyson Ball Animal 2
- 4. Shark Apex Upright AZ1002
- 5. Kenmore Elite 31150 Upright Vacuum
- 6. Oreck XL2100RHS
- 7. Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV356E
- 8. Hoover T-Series UH70120 Upright Vacuum
- 9. Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass
- 10. Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2
- 11. Bissell 1986 ProHeat 2X Revolution
- 12. Shark Navigator LiftAway Deluxe NV360
- 13. Dirt Devil UD70350B Upright Vacuum
- 14. SoniClean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 15. Bissell Cleanview Swivel Rewind Pet Upright
- Things to Consider When Buying Upright Vacuums
Why, Upright Vacuums?
You are about to learn the various advantages upright vacuums have over other types of vacuums. These are some of the reasons why they are still the most popular vacuums despite the changes in the industry.
- Weight - Upright vacuums are bulky compared to stick, canister, and robot vacuums. Though this weight can be a drawback, it is also a strength as it helps clean deep carpeted surfaces. You need not apply pressure or too much power to remove deeply embedded dirt.
- Cheaper – Yes, there are affordable stick and canister vacuums, but upright vacuums are more inexpensive considering what comes with the device. The performance and attachments are better on cheaper uprights than other units.
- Wide cleaning path – Compared to stick and canister vacuums, upright units have a wider cleaning path and will make short work of any surface. Cleaning substantial areas will be a breeze as you can cover large areas in one pass.
- Larger bin – One shortcoming of stick vacuums and robot vacuums is the small dustbin capacity. Upright vacuums, on the other hand, have large dustbins that allow you to clean large areas without the need to empty.
- Usage – Finally, upright vacuums are structured tall; therefore, you do not have to lower your back when cleaning. This is unlike canister vacuums were one has to hunch.
However, it is not all sunshine and rainbows as upright vacuums do have their shortcomings. First, the weight can be limiting as it makes it difficult to carry the unit around. Second, all units are corded, and you are ever tethered to an outlet. The cord is also an inconvenience as it can get in the way.
Upright Vacuum Cleaner Shops near You
Looking for a good upright vacuum cleaner is not enough, and you have to know where you can find these units. I recommend a quick Google search with the words “vacuum cleaner shop near me”. It should provide some of the top rated vacuum cleaner shops around you and a map. I also recommend the searches below:
- Vacuum cleaner shops in my location
- Vacuum cleaner shops in “the name of your location.”
Nevertheless, you are in luck as here is a map with all the best upright vacuum shops near you.
Now that you know where to look for these appliances, here are the best upright vacuums in the market.
Best Upright Vacuum of 2020 Comparisson Table
Learn more about the differences in the best upright vaccums in the table below. I have included everything from weight, to dimensions and warranty if you are in a hurry.
|Name||Weight In-lbs||Cord Length||HEPA||Bagged/ Bagless||Dimensions in inches||Warranty|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV352 - Best Overall||12.5||25||Yes||Bagless||15 X 11.4 X 45.5||5-yr Ltd|
|Oreck Magnessium LW1500RS - Best bagged upright vacuum||8||30||Yes||Bagged||10.5 X 12 X 47.5||7-yr Ltd|
|Dyson Ball Animal 2 - Best High-End Vacuum||17.35||35||Yes||Bagless||15.35 X 3.39 X 42.13||5-yr Ltd|
|Shark Apex Upright AZ1002 - Best Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair||16||30||Yes||Bagless||11.2 X 12.2 X 46||5-yr Ltd|
|Kenmore Elite 31150 Upright Vacuum - Best upright vacuum for large areas||19||35||Yes||Bagged||14.25 X 13.75 X 45.75||1-yr Ltd|
|Oreck XL2100RHS - Overall lightest upright vacuum||8.2||35||No||Bagged||9 X 13 X 35||3-yr parts and 10 yr housing|
|Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV356E - Best upright vacuum for clean air||13.7||30||Yes||Bagless||14.96 X 11.4 X 45.5||1-yr|
|Hoover T-Series UH70120 Upright Vacuum - Best budget upright vacuum||15.7||25||Yes||Bagless||16 X12 X 32.5||2-yr Ltd|
|Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass - Best upright vacuum for edging||15||25||Yes||Bagless||12.5 X 13.5 X 44||2-yr Ltd|
|Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2 - Best upright vacuum for tile floors||15.6||31||Yes||Bagless||15.59 X 13.39 X 41.93||5-yr Ltd|
|Bissell 1986 ProHeat 2X Revolution - Best upright vacuum for pet messes||17.45||25||No||Bagless||15 X 14.8 X 43.5||5-yr Ltd|
|Shark Navigator LiftAway Deluxe NV360 - Best upright vacuum for stairs and small spaces||12.5||25||Yes||Bagless||14.96 X 11.4 X 45.5||5-yr Ltd|
|Dirt Devil UD70350B Upright Vacuum - Editors pick||12||25||No||Bagless||13 X 11 X 31.5||2-yr Ltd|
|SoniClean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Best upright vacuum for soft carpets||10.5||35||Yes||Bagged||11.5 X 14 X 43.5||5-yr motor, 1-yr parts|
|Bissell Cleanview Swivel Rewind Pet Upright - Great for deep cleaning||14.5||27||No||Bagless||13.1 X 14 X 46||4-yr Ltd|
The 15 Best Upright Vacuum 2020: Reviews and Recommendations
Now let us dig a little deeper and learn what makes these appliances the best upright vacuums.
Of the over 500 vacuums in the market, I think the Shark NV352 is the best upright vacuum in the market. First, it is a bagless unit that reduces the cost of consumables. Moreover, it has washable filters, which again saves you money.
The NV352 happens to be a durable unit; the belt especially stood out for me (more on this later). It is a hard to clog but easy to clean machine seeing as it comes apart in more places than most units. Also, despite being durable, you are covered by a 5-year warranty should any part sustain damage.
The Shark Navigator lift-away NV352 sucks up most debris from any surface. The performance is exceptional on bare floors, but also great on carpets. It is a quiet unit, light, and easy to use thanks to the swivel head. It also incorporates several attachments that increase versatility.
Finally, the geared belt will not stretch unlike most upright vacuums, and you should not experience a drop in performance for many years.
- It is light at 12 pounds compared to most upright vacuums
- It has a swivel head and thus easy to use
- It is reasonably priced
- Some customers say it is ugly
- It doesn’t do well on shag carpets
2. Oreck Magnessium LW1500RS
(Best bagged upright vacuum)
Following on our list of the best upright vacuums is the Oreck LW1500RS. Though it is a bit pricey when compared to other units on this list, it has features that warrant the high price. Take, for example, the magnetic jam sensor. This nifty feature will shut the brushroll should it detect a jam. It comes in handy and prevents clogs that may damage the unit.
The slim swivel design of the Oreck LW1500RS increases the maneuverability of the unit. Speaking of maneuverability, this appliance can lie virtually flat to clean under the beds. The new edge brushes make edge cleaning a walk in the park, while the quick switch allows you to select between high power and low power.
Finally, you can be confident that the air in your home will be clean thanks to the HEPA bags that trap 99.97% of all dirt.
- It has LED lights to illuminate dimly lit areas
- It can clean any floor surface
- It has an extended 7-yr warranty
- It has a comfortable handle
- It does not include on-board cleaning tools or accessories
- It is pricey
3. Dyson Ball Animal 2
(Best High-End Vacuum)
If you are looking for power in a vacuum, then get the Dyson Animal 2. Being a Dyson, you can expect quality and excellent performance, but at a hefty price. But do the features on the unit warrant the cost?
Well, I think so. First, there is the active base head that moves up and down depending on the floor surface. The base head minimizes the distance between the vacuum head and the floor reducing the suction lost. Moreover, the device has an enormous cleaning path at 12.75-inches that allows you to cover large areas in a few passes.
Another feature that makes this unit stand out is the tangle-free turbine tool. You can now clean pet hair without worrying about a tangled brushroll. Finally, you can store all the accessories on the unit, reducing the likelihood of misplacing them.
- It has all the features needed for above floor cleaning
- Tools click on to the unit over compression fit
- The ball technology increases maneuverability
- It is powerful
- Well, it does have shortcomings in that it is bulky and pricey
4. Shark Apex Upright AZ1002
(Best Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair)
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is excellent for pet hair thanks to the tangle-free turbine tool, but the Shark Apex upright remains the best upright vacuum for pet hair. Thanks to Zero-M technology, you can be sure that your cleaning head will be hair free.
The DuoClean head is the most exciting thing to have happened in the vacuuming world, and it makes cleaning different surfaces easy. The head has the standard brushroll for carpets, and a soft brush for hard floors.
As for performance, it picks up both large and soft debris quickly. It picks most of the dirt in the first pass and the rest in the second pass. The soft roller also makes it easy to clean large debris as it will roll right over.
- It has LED lights that enable you to clean dimly lit areas
- The lift-away feature allows increases versatility
- Good for edge cleaning
- It works well on carpets and hard floors
- It has swivel steering increasing maneuverability
- It is pricey and struggles to clean corners
5. Kenmore Elite 31150 Upright Vacuum
(Best upright vacuum for large areas)
With its 35-feet long cord, the Kenmore 31150 is terrific for cleaning large areas. It allows you to cover a substantial space without having to change the outlets, and the 5-adjustable heights will enable you to clean low-pile, and high-pile carpets with ease.
Another remarkable feature of this Kenmore is that it is a bagged unit with a triple HEPA filter system. You are confident that the air in your home will forever be clean. The HEPA system traps 99.97% of microns while the bag makes it easy to dispose of dirt.
According to Kenmore, the Elite 31150 is 20% stronger than standard vacuums thanks to the 3D inducer motor. The motor combines the power of three motors, so it is easier to clean even the toughest dirt.
As for accessories, the Kenmore 31150 has a pet handimate tool that removes stubborn dander from seat and pet hair. Finally, it has five height adjustments making it easy to clean different surfaces.
- It has a telescoping wand allowing you to reach high spots
- The nozzle has strong suction
- The cleaning head has a low-profile enabling you to clean under seats and beds
- It is reasonably priced
- It has a short one year warranty
6. Oreck XL2100RHS
(Overall lightest upright vacuum)
Following on our list of the best upright vacuums is the Oreck XL2100RHS. It is suitable for low pile carpets though it still performs well on hardwood floors thanks to a plastic squeegee on the bottom. The squeegee prevents the loss of suction and maximizing its use.
As for the design, the unit has a 12-inch cleaning path and thus is okay for large areas. You will clean more surface in a few passes. As for the weight, it happens to be light at 8.2 vacuums and could be the lightest upright vacuum available.
The Oreck XL2100RHS includes an automatic floor adjustment tool so it can change when moving from carpets to large floors. It has an extra belt, and you can replace it easily by opening the access door on the side.
Finally, it has a long 35-ft cord increasing the reach.
- It has a non-marring bumper on the side that will protect your furniture and floor
- It has decent power
- It is affordable
- It has a helping hand handle, so it is easy to use
- It does not have a HEPA filter, and the air in your place will not be clean
- It does not include accessories
- It is loud
(Best upright vacuum for clean air)
The Shark Navigator NV356E is designed to be a combination tool that can clean carpets and bare floors. However, the machine performs better on carpets than on bare floors. However, that is not to say it performs poorly on carpets.
I loved this unit as it will keep the air in your home clean. The anti-allergen complete seal tech combined with the HEPA filter ensures that no allergens and pollutants are released back into the air. The device is also lightweight compared to other upright vacuums. As for the suction, it is phenomenal, and it will pick up deeply embedded dirt.
As for ease of use, it ranks up there with the best. It has a lift-away feature so you can use it as a canister. It also includes swivel steering, and you can maneuver it easily. Finally, it has accessories for above floor cleaning.
- It is reasonably priced
- It is robust and propels itself forward
- It has a long 30-ft cord
- Pulling the vacuum back is a challenge, thanks to the incredible power
8. Hoover T-Series UH70120 Upright Vacuum
(Best budget upright vacuum)
If you are looking for a low-cost appliance, I recommend you get this Hoover UH70120. It has some decent features despite the low-cost. First, there is the wind tunnel tech which ensures consistent suction. It also removes debris from any surface.
Another fascinating feature is the retractable cord. This should be a standard feature, but it is not. Therefore, it is a pleasant surprise to see it on such a low-cost unit. The cord is 25-feet long, and thus you can cover a substantial area before you have to change outlets.
As for maintenance, this is a bagless unit, and therefore the cost of consumables is low. Moreover, it has a washable filter, further lowering the price.
- It is affordable at a fraction of the cost of other units on this list
- It has a stretchable hose that allows for above floor cleaning
- It is well-accessorized, and you can clean different surfaces, including tight spots
- The no-scuff bumper protects furniture from marks
- It does not perform well on hard floors
9. Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass
(Best upright vacuum for edging)
The Bissell 9595A is the best unit for edge-cleaning, especially when working on low pile carpets. It is also a low-cost unit, but it does not beat the Hoover UH70210 to rank as the best low budget vacuum.
Some things stood out for me in this vacuum. First, it is easy to assemble, and you will appreciate that all tools fit on board. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that you will lose any of your attachments. And speaking of accessories, you get a crevice tool, an extension tool, and motorized brush increasing the versatility.
The unit also has a large dust bin at 2.27L which is easy to detach, empty, and reattach. You can also remove the screen to get rid of any stuck-on dirt. Finally, you will appreciate the cyclonic system that ensures the suction is ever strong enough.
- It has a substantial cord at 25-ft
- It works well on carpets
- It is affordable
- It has an extension hose that increases the reach of the unit
- It makes more of a mess rather than clean when working on carpets
- It is not powerful and needs several passes to pick up dirt
10. Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2
(Best upright vacuum for tile floors)
Following on our list of best upright vacuum is the Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2. This appliance is one I recommend for anyone on the hunt for the best vacuum for tile floors. It is lighter than the Ball Animal 2 and more compact; thus, it is easier to store.
One remarkable feature of this device is that it not only includes a post-motor HEPA filter, but it also has a sealed system ensuring there are no leakages. The bin is also well designed preventing messy disposals.
The fact that all appliances click-fit on this device is another reason that it is on this list. The active base plate ensures there is no loss of suction, and thus cleaning tile floors, and other hard surfaces is a breeze. Finally, it has a long reach. With a 31-ft cord and a hose that stretches close to 12.5-ft, you can clean virtually any surface.
- Transitions between carpets and hard floors effortlessly (without the need for height adjustment)
- It is powerful
- It is reasonably priced compared to other Dyson vacuums
- It is difficult to get going on fluffy carpets
11. Bissell 1986 ProHeat 2X Revolution
(Best upright vacuum for pet messes)
The Bissell 1986 works as a vacuum and a carpet cleaner, and it is ideal for pet stains, or cleaning high traffic area. The Bissell 1986 is not to be confused with the Shark Apex as one is best for pet hair, while the other is ideal for pet messes and cleaning high traffic areas.
Some features that make this the best carpet cleaner are the two brush rolls. They increase agitation on any stained area removing the dirt in record time. Moreover, it has a cleanshot penetrator that shoots the cleaning solution on an area that you want to soak before you clean.
You will also appreciate that it vacuums the dirty water, therefore, reducing the drying time. As for reach, it has a 25-ft cord and an 8-ft hose increasing the reach immensely. Finally, it has a convenient bag where you can store all the accessories.
- It is a combination unit which works as a vacuum and carpet cleaner
- It is robust with a 6.8-ampere rating
- It has convenient cord storage
- It is limited to cleaning carpets
(Best upright vacuum for stairs and small spaces)
Shark has positioned itself as the provider of cutting edge vacuums but at an affordable price. The Shark NV360 happens to be one of these units, and it is one I believe will make you happy.
First, it is a 2-in-1 unit. It works as an upright, but it also works as a canister thanks to the lift-away design. The lift-away allows you to clean stairs and other inconvenient areas where you cannot use an upright vacuum.
As for air quality, you can be sure that this appliance will trap 99.9% of allergens and pollutants. It has a lifetime HEPA filter, and it is completely sealed, preventing dirty air from escaping.
And how good can a vacuum be without accessories? You will get a pet power brush, a dusting brush, and a crevice tool when you purchase the unit. Finally, you can turn the brush off to clean delicate surfaces.
- It has a lengthy 5-yr warranty
- It has a large capacity at 12-quarts
- It never loses suction
- It has swivel steering, and thus, it is easy to maneuver
- It is easy to carry, as it is relatively light
- It is top heavy, and operating attachments is challenging
13. Dirt Devil UD70350B Upright Vacuum
First, I will let you know that this Dirt Devil cannot compete with pricier vacuums such as the Shark, and Dyson. However, it is not as expensive as the said vacuums, and it is ideal for anyone looking to save money. It also packs enough power to pick up debris on hard floors and carpets with ease.
Thanks to the automatic height adjustment, you don’t have to worry about switching the brush on and off as you move from carpets to hard floors. It also has a substantial cleaning path at 12-inches, and you can clean large areas relatively easy.
The extendable hose increases the reach of this unit by around 8 feet to 33-feet as the cord is 25-ft long. Finally, you can store all attachments on board, reducing the likelihood of losing or misplacing them.
- It is affordable.
- It is well, accessorized increasing the versatility
- It is light and hauling it up and down stairs is a walk in the park
- Turning the roller head off is super simple
- It is a cinch to clean
- It has a swivel head, and thus, it is easy to maneuver
- The hose has such strong suction that prevents it from extending as far as it could
14. SoniClean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
(Best upright vacuum for soft carpets)
One shortcoming of most standard vacuums is that they cannot work well on fluffy carpets. The strong suction makes it challenging to move the unit on fluffy carpets. However, SoniClean found a workaround without compromising the strength of the suction.
Soniclean uses an adjustable vent and a soft nylon brushroll preventing any damage on your soft plush carpets. Moreover, it has large front wheels allowing you to move over fluffy rugs with ease.
Other fascinating features include the long 35-ft power cord that increases the reach and the fact that this unit can lie down flat, allowing you to clean deep under beds.
However, what stood out for me is that the unit produces 200 sonic vibrations per second dislodging deeply embedded dirt in your carpets. You can expect exceptional results with this unit.
- It has a jam sensor that will automatically shut down the unit
- It has superior suction despite the direct air paramagnetic motor design
- Traps 99.97% of pollutants and allergens
- It is pricey for an appliance that only cleans fluffy carpets
15. Bissell Cleanview Swivel Rewind Pet Upright
(Great for deep cleaning)
Finally, we have the Bissell Cleanview Swivel upright vacuum. This unit will blow your socks off with the features you get at this price point.
First, the Bissell CleanView has an auto-retractable cord. It saves the trouble that one has of folding the cable after cleaning. Moreover, it has an advanced triple action brushroll that will loosen, lift, and remove dirt from your carpets and hard floor.
However, what caught my eye was the scatter-free technology that captures the dirt on hard floors instead of dispersing it all over. The multi-cyclonic tech also ensures that the unit has strong suction and it separates dirt from the air, so only clean air is released back. Moreover, it will protect your motor from dust, which can damage it. Finally, it is suitable for all floors.
- It is lightweight and maneuverable
- It is excellent for edge cleaning, and it will suck up all debris, including where the baseboard meets the floor
- Easy to detach, empty, and reattach the dustbin
- The retractable cord rewinds slowly
- It is not ideal for people with pets with long fur
Things to Consider When Buying Upright Vacuums
Consider the things below to get the best upright vacuums . These should help you make an educated decision when purchasing an upright vacuum.
As you know, there are countless companies which manufacture vacuums. Some are household names, such as Dyson, Shark, and Hoover, while others are lesser-known companies.
I recommend buying vacuums from significant brands as these have a reputation to protect. Companies such as Dyson and Shark have to manufacture quality vacuums and honor their warranties if they want to remain competitive. However, lesser-known brands have no name to protect and thus can cut corners in brand design.
Here are some of the companies I recommend you buy from.
- Dyson – Though Dyson stopped producing corded vacuums, some of their upright vacuum cleaners are still available, and I must say they are among the best upright vacuums. They are reliable units, and the sheer raw power will make short work of carpets or hard floors However, they are pricey, and you have to be willing to pay a small fortune.
- Shark – Shark, has differentiated itself from Dyson by creating vacuums that are reasonably priced. Yes, it has some pricey units such as the Shark Apex, but most of the vacuums are affordable, including our top pick the Shark NV352.
- Other Brands – Bissell, Hoover, and Red Devil, are other companies you should consider, especially when looking for affordable upright vacuums. These units have positioned themselves as low-cost alternatives to Shark and Dyson. If you are on the hunt for an inexpensive vacuum that can deliver performance close to that of Dyson or Shark, then you are almost guaranteed to get one from these companies.
Surfaces You Will be Cleaning
You also have to stop and consider the surfaces you will be cleaning. Hardwood floors will need a different upright vacuum from Carpets. If the majority of your work will involve carpet cleaning, then get a unit with a brushroll as this will agitate the dirt and get rid of embedded debris. However, if it is a fluffy carpet, I recommend the Soniclean.
If the bulk of your work will be to clean hard floors, then look for an upright vacuum with strong suction and one that does not scatter debris. The Dyson Ball Multi-Floor 2 is ideal here.
Finally, if you want to clean stairs and other above area surfaces, do get an appliance with accessories. My top pick the Shark NV352 is ideal thanks to the lift-away design.
Finally, you have to take into account the house occupants. How will house occupants affect the vacuum you pick?? Well, if you have pets that shed fur, you will need a unit that is ideal for picking pet hair. My top pick or the Shark Apex are perfect for that. If your pet is not well trained or you have kids who track dirt into the house, you will need a device that can clean messes. The Bissell 1986 is just perfect for that.
Finally, get a unit that is completely sealed and uses HEPA filters if you have allergic people in the house. HEPA filters together with a sealed system, ensure 99.97% of the allergens and pollutants are trapped and not released into the air.
As I wrap things up, here I have addressed the concerns people have about upright vacuums. Read on, as you might learn more about these vacuums.
Vacuum cleaners have come a long way, but upright vacuum cleaners remain as king. The same features that endeared them to us are the same reasons why they are so dear to us today. Our top pick happens to be the Shark NV352. Though there are appliances which are ideal for specific tasks, such as the Dyson Multi-Floor 2 for tile floors and the Oreck LW1500RS, the NV352 performs well across the board. Something very few of the other units could do.
Thank you for reading this far, and I hope you enjoyed the article. You are welcome to leave your thoughts in the comments below and do share.