When it comes to cleaning a firearm, the process is truly important. You really don’t want the weapon to stop working because of rust or dust. Therefore, never neglect the process of cleaning.
Are you ready to transform your weapon into a brand new firearm? Then you should consider buying a gun cleaning kit now.
The market is full of gun cleaners, but before making any purchase, keep in mind that cleaning the firearm should come naturally. You will need to lubricate most of the parts of the weapon, so the friction is to the minimum level and the gun will work really smoothly.
For you to make the smartest purchase, please read down below my top of the best gun cleaners, with pros, cons and explicit reviews. That being said, let’s get the best gun cleaning kits and see which are the various models that you can easily find.
The Benefits of Gun Cleaners
There are some important advantages that come once you are buying a gun cleaner or a gun cleaner kit:
- You will have all the components needed for you to clean the handgun or rifle it;
- The manufacturers of these products make sure you will get a good product so your weapon will work at its best;
- Most of the gun cleaners come with additional tools, so you will be able to clean the weapon easier;
- Once you do the research properly, you can have a gun cleaner that does not require any additional tools;
- You will always have proper maintenance of the firearm;
- You will keep the weapon in a good working state all the time you need a gun;
- Easy cleaning, with just a spray or a smart solution;
- All the tools that come with the gun cleaners are designed to reach every component of the gun;
- You don’t need a full case for cleaning your gun when you can take just one product and.
Which is The Best Gun Cleaners to Buy?
Sometimes, people’s opinions about the product they are already using are better than an expensive commercial. Here are some thoughts about the products I have reviewed above:
- Best Overall - Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Cleaner
“There is no wonder why this formula is world-wide famous. I loved it!”
- Best Price - CRC 05089 BRAKLEEN Gun Cleaner
“One of the most versatile gun cleaners you can find on the market.”
- Best for Eliminating Powder Residue - BreakFree GC-16 Gun Cleaner
“It cleans the dust residue, the oils and has a great foaming application.”
- Best for Hunting Guns - Gunslick 92098 Gun Cleaner
“The three convenient sizes will let you choose the best one for your purposes.”
- Best Multi-Purpose - Ballistol Multi-Purpose Gun Cleaner
“You can use it on multiple surfaces, and it will neutralize the effect of sweat and skin oils.”
- Best Foam - Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner
“The foam formula gets better than the regular one. You should give it a try.”
- Lowest Friction Coefficient - M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Cleaner
“Protects great against humidity and the skin oils.”
- Best Gun Grease - Tetra Grease Gun Cleaner
“The little formula helped us reach even the hard areas.”
- Best Needle Oiler - Pro-Shot Needle Oiler Gun Cleaner
“The hard-to-reach areas have no escape now. The needle helped me a lot with the application.”
- Best against Corrosion - HOPPE'S No. 9 Synthetic Blend Gun Cleaner
“It protects and cleans even the smallest area of the weapon.”
- Best Pack - Lucas Gun Oil Gun Cleaner Pack
“Great pack if you are in economy mode.”
- Most Professional- CLP by Sage & Braker Gun Cleaner
“I can hardly say how performant this formula is. Totally recommend.”
Comparison Chart 2020
The table below will highlight the most important facts about each of the 15 top gun cleaners I have selected. Read each column carefully and see which product suits you best. Then, take your time and then read the full reviews.
|Best Gun Cleaners||Brand||Weight||Product Dimension||Volume|
|Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Cleaner - Best Overall||HOPPE'S||1.8 pounds||9 x 4.5 x 9 inches||32 oz.|
|CRC 05089 BRAKLEEN Gun Cleaner - Best Price||CRC||1.18 pounds||10 x 8.5 x 11.2 inches||20 oz.|
|BreakFree GC-16 Gun Cleaner - Best for Eliminating Powder Residue||BreakFree||1 pound||n/a||12 oz.|
|Gunslick 92098 Gun Cleaner - Best for Hunting Guns||Gunslick||15.2 ounces||n/a||12 oz.|
|Ballistol Multi-Purpose Gun Cleaner - Best Multi-Purpose||Ballistol||8.8 ounces||6.8 x 2.2 x 2.5 inches||6 oz|
|Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner - Best Foam||HOPPE'S||6.1 ounces||6.5 x 2 x 2 inches||4 oz.|
|M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Cleaner - Lowest Friction Coefficient||HOPPE'S||4.3 ounces||n/a||4 oz.|
|Tetra Grease Gun Cleaner - Best Gun Grease||Tetra||2.4 ounces||7 x 7 x 7 inches||1 oz|
|Pro-Shot Needle Oiler Gun Cleaner - Best Needle Oiler||Pro-Shot||0.8 ounces||5.5 x 1.5 x 2 inches||1 oz.|
|HOPPE'S No. 9 Synthetic Blend Gun Cleaner - Best against Corrosion||HOPPE'S||4 ounces||4.6 x 1.8 x 1 inches||2.25 oz.|
|Lucas Gun Oil Gun Cleaner Pack - Best Pack||Lucas Oil||3.8 ounces||n/a||2 oz. oil & 1 oz. needle oil|
|Slip 2000 EWL Gun Cleaner - Best Lube||Slip 2000||4 ounces||7 x 7 x 7 inches||4 oz.|
|Break-Free CLP-2 Gun Cleaner - Best Aerosol||BreakFree||6.7 ounces||5.8 x 2.2 x 2.2 inches||4 oz.|
|Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner Spray - Best Future Fouling Repeler||HOPPE'S||5.6 ounces||1.5 x 1.5 x 6 inches||4 oz.|
|CLP by Sage & Braker Gun Cleaner - Most Professional||Sage and Braker Mercantile||4.8 ounces||n/a||4 oz.|
Best Gun Cleaner Reviews 2020
The question of the day is what are the best gun cleaning kits on the market. There are so many options out there and picking one can be a confusing process. Well, you should not worry anymore.
I have reached the most interesting part of our article when I review each gun cleaner solvent. While you may already know which is the best gun cleaner in 2018 or in 2019, let’s find out which is the best household gun cleaning solvent of 2020.
Keep reading to learn more.
1. Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Cleaner
I have chosen the no. 9 Hoppes gun cleaner as the best break free gun cleaner on the list. Its formula is the most interesting and helps you clean the firearm deeply. That being said, if you have a modern firearm, then you should have a look at this model of Hoppes gun cleaner.
- Ultra effective;
- Very safe and easy to use;
- Its solution can penetrate deep and fast;
- Comes with childproof cap;
- Ultra potent formula;
- A worldwide famous and favorite product since 1903;
- Comes in a bottle of 1 quart.
- You might need to buy an accessory for a better cleaning.
|Product Dimensions||9 x 4.5 x 9 inches|
|Product Dimensions||9 x 4.5 x 9 inches|
So, even if you are looking for the best gun cleaner kit, just have a look at this singular product also. Cleaning the gun should be a smooth, natural process, and the solution you choose must clean deeply and very fast. This odorless gun cleaner should be in your options.
This is how you should do it properly. Check out this video.
2. CRC 05089 BRAKLEEN Gun Cleaner
The best non-toxic gun cleaning solvent should not have a huge price. The CRC Brakleen gun cleaner is manufactured to quickly and fastly remove all the grease, brake fluids, even other contaminants from the lining and pads. Once choosing this brand, you will know that you are using a worldwide leader in producing chemical formulas for the gun market.
- An original brake parts cleaner;
- Quickly removes grease, brakes fluids, oils and dust;
- Can be used also in the marine, electrical or industrial market;
- Great price for the final amount.
- Poor packaging in comparison with it is a great formula.
|Product Dimensions||10 x 8.5 x 11.2 inches|
|Type||Chlorinated brake parts cleaner|
Despite the fact that it can be a great gun cleaner, the CRC Brakleen will be also helpful for cleaning the drums, brake cylinders, brake shoes, the disc brake pads, the ABS and many, many more.
The price is great as well.
Look how great it works.
3. BreakFree GC-16 Gun Cleaner
(Best for Eliminating Powder Residue)
The best pistol cleaning kit might be in the BreakFree formula. Safe for guns, this gun cleaning kit is safe for all gunmetal finishes. You can use it from blued steel to titanium, as well as for polymer composite firearms.
When cleaning the guns, you should know that this is a non-solvent formula, which will minimize the drain when the firearm is holstered.
- Eliminates the powder residue, as well as the grease and oil;
- Cleans the build-up;
- Foam application for less running;
- No disassembly required;
- Easy to access the hard-to-reach areas;
- Break Free CLP.
- Don’t use it on fine plastic.
|Purpose||Eliminates powder residue, grease, plastic streaking, and oil build-up|
This is a time tested formula, which was originally developed for automatic cannons, used by the U.S. military. As such, this gun cleaner is one of the best ones.
4. Gunslick 92098 Gun Cleaner
(Best for Hunting Guns)
Also known as the best gun cleaner in 2019, the Gunslick Gun Cleaner is maintaining its position in this top as well. Made of the highest quality materials, this hunting gun cleaner will transform your process of cleaning into a very easy one.
- Great as hunting gun cleaning supplies;
- Made of the highest quality materials;
- Comes in three types of sizes;
- 3 steps cleaning: spray, wait then remove;
- Advanced cleaning formula.
- International shipping is not available.
Don’t look for a gun cleaner machine when you have the Gunslick formula. The three simple steps in removing the dirt are the following: spray, wait then remove everything. If you want a little product or a bigger one, you can choose from the three convenient sizes.
This video will tell you more.
5. Ballistol Multi-Purpose Gun Cleaner
The Ballistol gun cleaner is a product that was developed especially for the German Army, to protect their firearms and all the gun stocks.
Now, the Ballistol solvent is one of the most popular products on this market and it will help you clean the firearms and also minimize the need for brushing and scraping all the barrels and chambers.
- Preserves and protects the metal, leather, and wood;
- Lubricated and cleans;
- It is skin safe;
- Neutralizes the effect of sweat and skin oils;
- Environmentally friendly;
- Powerful formula since 1904;
- Slightly alkaline.
- The smell might be hard.
|Product Dimensions||6.8 x 2.2 x 2.5 inches|
|Purpose||Cleans, Lubricates and Protects|
If you followed my Ballistol Gun Cleaner Review, you should also know that this solvent will form a protective film on the surface of metals and won’t need any brushing for reaching the best result. More than a gun cleaner, this product will be great for silver and brass polish as well.
6. Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner
Want to use foam rather than a spray formula? Then look at this Hoppe’s Gun Cleaner.
- Meets the demands of the professional shooters;
- Perfect for military and law purposes;
- Provides advanced cleaning;
- Great lubrication technology;
- Deep cleaning;
- Spray-on foam;
- Odorless and biodegradable;
- Ideal for black powder shoots.
- For some, the foam formula wouldn’t be the perfect one.
|Product Dimensions||6.5 x 2 x 2 inches|
Don’t get intimidated by the foam formula, as this will offer you a deep cleaning for your gun. It can remove even the carbon and will foul better than most of the regular cleaners.
7. M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Cleaner
(Lowest Friction Coefficient)
The M Pro Cleaning Kit is that kind of gun cleaner that was formulated with a technology that will not evaporate, nor will it separate or gumm. Therefore, this is more than just gun oil, it represents the new generation of lubricants and protectants for advanced weaponry.
- Replaces all the gun oils;
- Better formula;
- Dry lubes;
- Cleans any surface;
- Leaves a lasting film that will not evaporate;
- Has high-quality synthetic oils;
- LPX additives;
- Unique technology;
- Resistant to separation, evaporation and gumming.
- You need to open the bottle carefully.
|Purpose||Repels dust and dirt|
If you are not looking only for water-based gun cleaners, this is what you must buy. It has the lowest known friction coefficient, and the product has long-term storage. The M Pro-gun cleaner has the greatest protection against humidity and moisture.
8. Tetra Grease Gun Cleaner
(Best Gun Grease)
If you want a great gun cleaner for protecting and lubricating the firearms, well, you might be in the right place. This product has a formula that applies very quickly and reduces all the friction and wear. Also, due to its device, it applies even to hard-to-reach areas.
- Applies very quick and easy;
- Reduces the friction and wear;
- It prevents the corrosion;
- Perfect for protecting and lubricating the firearms.
- 1oz tube, too small for large use;
- The smell might be a little stinky.
|Product Dimensions||7 x 7 x 7 inches|
|Purpose||Protects and lubricates|
This gun cleaner will be lubing all the firearms with a nice grease and the results will be immediate. The application is very quick and easy and will reduce friction and prevent corrosion. The grease sticks great and doesn’t need wiping.
9. Pro-Shot Needle Oiler Gun Cleaner
(Best Needle Oiler)
The Pro-Shot Needle Oiler for gun cleaning is great, especially for unreachable areas. It combines a premium synthetic base and antioxidants and preventative additives, to clean all the rust.
- Anti-wear additives;
- Contains antioxidants;
- Provides superior smooth performance;
- Protects all the moving metal parts;
- The USA made components;
- Applicator refillable.
- Can produce some friction, though.
|Product Dimensions||5.5 x 1.5 x 2 inches|
|Purpose||Lubricates and Protects|
The great combination of a premium synthetic base and the extreme pressure will make this gun cleaner a multifunctional lubrication product. It works from -75º to over 450º F.
10. HOPPE'S No. 9 Synthetic Blend Gun Cleaner
(Best against Corrosion)
The Hoppe’s Bench rest copper solvent review is here. Made in the USA, this superior lubrication offers you the perfect way to clean your guns. This gun cleaning oil has been created so that it can properly maintain your weapon during the time.
- Superior lubrication and protection;
- Clean and protects all the areas of the firearm;
- Reduces the wear and tear caused by friction;
- Works perfectly on fishing reels and many other mechanisms as well;
- Advanced oil for modern firearm designs.
- More expensive than others.
|Product Dimensions||4.6 x 1.8 x 1 inches|
|Purpose||Creates a barrier against moisture & corrosion|
This gun cleaning solvent bulk was designed and tested to deal with even the toughest situations and environments. Specially created for a modern firearm, the formula provides a barrier against moisture and corrosion.
The product is versatile enough for working great on other mechanisms too.
11. Lucas Gun Oil Gun Cleaner Pack
The Lucas Gun Oil is great for general lubrication on every part of the firearm. Moreover, this lubricant is environmentally friendly, so it doesn’t contain any chemicals that might harm nature.
This oil is also odorless, so there won’t be any hard smell to feel.
- Great pack of 2oz original oils;
- Recommended and used by the majority of firearms manufacturers;
- 1oz extreme duty needle oiler;
- The original oil works great on compound bows;
- The lubricant is environmentally friendly;
- Need to buy both products in this formula.
|Capacity||2 oz. oil & 1 oz. needle oil|
|For||Shotguns, rifles and revolvers|
The best part of this gun cleaner is that it is formulated for high volume, and also for high heat and friction firearms. Therefore, you can use it many times, for general lubrication and also for specific parts of the weapon.
12. Slip 2000 EWL Gun Cleaner
This Slip lube will stay wet 5 times longer than many of the lubricants we have already presented. It also reduces friction and wear, and it is designed for an automatic rapid-fire and machine gun.
Therefore, it’s the power of eliminating excessive wear and heat is real.
- Reduces friction and wear;
- Protects against corrosion;
- Doesn’t attract dust, sand or dirt;
- Doesn’t burn off like a petroleum product;
- Safe to use on metal, plastic or wood parts;
- Does not allow the lead, copper, carbon or plastic to stick;
- Reduces the cleanup time by 50%;
- Non-toxic and non-hazardous.
- The price is higher.
|Product Dimensions||7 x 7 x 7 inches|
This gun cleaner has them all. Stays wet longer, reduces the friction and wear while protecting the gun’s parts of corrosion, dust, sand or dirt. Also, you can use it safely on other materials than metal, such as wood or plastic.
13. Break-Free CLP-2 Gun Cleaner
The best aerosol in this list, this Break-Free CLP-2 is made by a specially formulated synthetic oil so it won’t lose its viscosity and it won’t dry out in extreme environments. Also, it works even in extreme temperatures, ranging from -65F to +475F.
- Penetrates and spread on every metal surface;
- Lifts residue away where it can be removed;
- It is a long-lasting lubricating formula;
- Reduces the adhesion of grit, sand, and other abrasives;
- Made of synthetic, more viscous oils;
- Ready condition for months at a time;
- Protects from moisture and other contaminants.
- Works better with special brushes.
|Product Dimensions||5.8 x 2.2 x 2.2 inches|
|Purpose||Cleans and Protects|
|Suitable for extreme environments||Yes|
If you are looking for a corrosion inhibitor to prevent the formation of rust, then you should look for this product. The synthetic oils will not lose their viscosity and they will work great in the most extreme environments.
14. Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner Spray
(Best Future Fouling Repeller)
This Gun Cleaner Spray is one of the most professional cleaners you can find on the market. It meets the demand of professional shooters, as well as the military and law enforcement technology.
- Penetrates down to the steel molecular pores;
- Removes the carbon;
- Removes even the most copper fouling;
- Reduces the gun cleaning up to 80 percent.
- Might leave small residues.
|Product Dimensions||1.5 x 1.5 x 6 inches|
|Purpose||Cleans, Lubricates and Protects|
This gun cleaner from Hoppe’s has one of the best lubrication technologies, which can penetrate down all the steel’s molecular pores. It is non-flammable and also biodegradable.
15. CLP by Sage & Braker Gun Cleaner
Last but not least, the CLP gun cleaner comes with a great formula, which leaves an oily coating and uses no harsh chemicals. The product uses a highly penetrating solvent, which will go into every surface on a micro level.
- Protects the firearms from failure;
- Remove crud from the firearms;
- No harsh chemicals;
- Leaves an oily coating;
- Provides carbon and contamination management;
- Smooth action for reliable performance;
- Safe to use around children;
- Designed for military purpose.
- Contains stronger ingredients, so make sure you read the labels.
|Purpose||Cleans, Lubricates and Protects|
If you work in the police or army and you depend on the firearms you are using, then you should make sure that they work properly.
This formula creates a more consistent FPS and, in addition, a more accurate shot. If you are looking for investing in a great gun cleaner, consider this one.
Buying Guide - Best Gun Cleaning Products
There are some easy principles to follow when buying the best bore cleaner for copper fouling or just a simple kit for cleaning your weapon. Here is what you need to know in order to make a smart purchase:
Of course one of the most important things to follow is the cost you have to pay. Therefore, you can find cheap models, as well as medium price models or highly-priced items. So which one would you choose?
The cheap models are not always the best choice. Cleaning a weapon is not like cleaning a window. Therefore, look for a gun cleaner that offers good value for the money you pay.
The medium-priced models are the most often seen ones, and there are good models that go around this amount of money. When searching for these ones, ask for the tools it comes with, to make sure you will have the whole kit.
The high priced models. These are usually going to provide the best performance. Some will come even with advanced technologies, which help a lot with the weapon cleaning. Make sure you look at the various components that the gun cleaner comes with, as long as you will pay a high price.
A gun cleaner doesn’t need to come all alone to work perfectly. It would be perfect if the gun cleaner you buy comes with accessories. Every shooter needs the right tools and substances to clean the gun in the best way. Make sure you apply the right substances. Some of the accessories that you should look for are:
- A good solvent
- A lubricant, for protecting the parts from getting corroded
- Brushes, for making sure they reach all the parts of the weapon. Look for metal brushes, rather than the plastic ones, which will break immediately
If you will choose just a gun cleaner, without accessories, then you will not need something portable. But, at some point, if you choose a gun cleaner kit, then portability becomes an important factor.
For instance, look for a case that is easy to carry around. Most of the manufacturers use ballistic nylon bags, which are easy to carry and store.
There are some famous brands that during the years have created the best gun cleaners. From all of them, you should especially look for the Hoppe’s, BreakFree, Gunslick, M-Pro 7, Lucas, CLP, Pro Shoot or Ballistol.
If you have a gun you must treat it carefully so it won’t cause you or your loved ones any harm. I hope that this article was helpful and you know now more than you knew a few minutes ago.
Since it is a delicate subject, I am sure you have questions, so please feel free to use the comment section below.